Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about using normal coins from my local currency as game counters.

What I would like to do is glue two coins together (so the coat of arms shows on both sides) and then paint them. An example of the coins I would use is shown here: http://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2011/11/24/5c-coin-to-be...

Two questions:

1. What should I use to glue the coins together; and 1b. how do I ensure that the edges line up exactly until the glue dries.

2. What type of paint should I use to paint them? Enamel would be good, perhaps, but its expensive to buy large quantities...

I'd appreciate any answers; but please try and avoid suggestions of brand name products, or links to Amazon - I live outside the US/UK and those would not really be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think any sort of glue for metal might work, my only concern would be since both sides are textured if gaps might be a problem, So my next suggestion would be epoxy.

To get them to line up I would take a tube (pvc, pipe, or even paper) the exact size of the coin glue the coins together, slide in the tube to make sure it lines up and either dry in the tube or press them out of the tube onto a table to dry.

Painting....spray paint with some sort of sealer? maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
JundiaĆ­
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it! The economy needs those coins flowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brown
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I would try spray paint. There's a ton of spray paint on the market, and most of them will stick to metal without a problem. Just spray with short bursts to avoid buildup. With some practice, a can could paint a lot of coins all at once. You should be able to find a spray paint with the type of finish you want - glossy, satin, matte, metallic, etc.

As for glue, I would go for some sort of super glue - it sets up very fast (usually within seconds) and shouldn't swell or move on you once it sets. Probably only need a drop to work. Less fuss than epoxy. Not sure how you'd line them up other than holding them together until it sets up.

If you glue before you paint, then the paint may help seal any remaining gap between coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I tried to use pennies as game pieces for a prototype years ago, but most of the players had a really negative reaction. Seems people are really attached to their currency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
I tried to use pennies as game pieces for a prototype years ago, but most of the players had a really negative reaction. Seems people are really attached to their currency.

I've been thinking of using 1c or 2c coins in games and was worried by this possible reaction. Strange when you see how cheaper is a coin from an euro-cube for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Maravola
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For gluing them together, there is a product called JB Weld that is made specifically to fuse metal. It works amazingly and has a slow enough dry time that you can manipulate the pieces for a few minutes until you get the proper alignment but is thick enough that you don't need to worry about holding them together while it dries. Once dry, it is completely sandable and strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Maravola
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to paining, I'd use a spray enamel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BozoDel wrote:
I'm pretty sure it would be illegal in Canada. "Defacing currency" type thing.

Unless you filled in all the gaps I think it would look odd - and it may be easier or harder depending on how much the images stick up vs how high the ring around the edge is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
BozoDel wrote:

Unless you filled in all the gaps I think it would look odd - and it may be easier or harder depending on how much the images stick up vs how high the ring around the edge is.

The ridge around the edges of the coins is above, or at least not lower, than the centre pattern, so there would not be any "gaps".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirNot wrote:
For gluing them together, there is a product called JB Weld that is made specifically to fuse metal. It works amazingly and has a slow enough dry time that you can manipulate the pieces for a few minutes until you get the proper alignment but is thick enough that you don't need to worry about holding them together while it dries. Once dry, it is completely sandable and strong.

Great - I will try and find a local distributor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thcotty wrote:
If it were me, I would try spray paint. There's a ton of spray paint on the market, and most of them will stick to metal without a problem. Just spray with short bursts to avoid buildup. With some practice, a can could paint a lot of coins all at once. You should be able to find a spray paint with the type of finish you want - glossy, satin, matte, metallic, etc.

Hmm. Tough choice as to the best finish :- I guess that a matte or satin is probably best for coins used as counters. I assume that a few coats will be best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
www.skybluepink.com may have what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brown
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just one coat, maybe two. You don't want to build up too much paint and lose the detail on the coins. Just a few light passes with the spray paint should do it. Might have to practice a few times to find the best way to coat them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
BozoDel wrote:

When was the last time anyone was actually prosecuted for defacing currency?

*I say this in jest & now realize I'll probably get an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.