Hide
9 Posts

Pandemic: The Cure» Forums » General

Subject: Use the regular pandemic game board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wanghis Khan
msg tools
Finally opened this and learned it and played a test play through with my wife. We lost but enjoyed it, we "get it" now, so next time we'll save y'all. I like it being portable and I don't mind the modular regions, but does anyone play on a regular pandemic board? I wouldn't think it would matter much, just agree upon the 1-5 zones and make them obvious, but I think I prefer the world map/board and thought I might just play on that if my friend has the regular pandemic game. Anyone else play this way, or recommend/not recommend it? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
There's a fan-made board here, if you want to make one:

(details in the thread comments)

Some pictures from others who crafted their own board:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanghis Khan wrote:
Finally opened this and learned it and played a test play through with my wife. We lost but enjoyed it, we "get it" now, so next time we'll save y'all. I like it being portable and I don't mind the modular regions, but does anyone play on a regular pandemic board? I wouldn't think it would matter much, just agree upon the 1-5 zones and make them obvious, but I think I prefer the world map/board and thought I might just play on that if my friend has the regular pandemic game. Anyone else play this way, or recommend/not recommend it? Thanks
I've only played this 3 times. None of those times did anybody bring up having a board would enhance the experience. For me, I'm more of a function over form type person, so I'd rather have the portability of it now vs. a full-sized board. Besides, if I were to play with the fan made board like posted upthread, my mind would break down the mechanics into the original, 6-spots around the Treatment Ring anyways.

In fact, my preference, and what happened in our games was we referred to the regions by number instead of name, further solidifying that the board really wasn't "all that".
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462539/anybody-ever-re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
what happened in our games was we referred to the regions by number instead of name

That's the main reason I would like a world map board. To remind us that these ARE regions, and not just numbers.

It's like the DnDeeples for Lords of Waterdeep. If you play with cubes, then everyone just says "2 oranges, 1 purple". But if you play with the DnDeeples, then with just a bit of nudging, people start to refer to "2 fighters and a wizard".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
what happened in our games was we referred to the regions by number instead of name

That's the main reason I would like a world map board. To remind us that these ARE regions, and not just numbers.

It's like the DnDeeples for Lords of Waterdeep. If you play with cubes, then everyone just says "2 oranges, 1 purple". But if you play with the DnDeeples, then with just a bit of nudging, people start to refer to "2 fighters and a wizard".
Even though Stone Age comes with the appropriately shaped resource bits, one person kept referring them as brown, red, gray, and gold just to get a rise out of some of the players. It was hilarious while surreal at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanghis Khan
msg tools
SaltyHorse wrote:
There's a fan-made board here, if you want to make one:

(details in the thread comments)

Some pictures from others who crafted their own board:

I was thinking of just putting the regions in the regular board, I just like full maps and like others are staying, I feel like that would be preferable than the region disks sometimes. Never thought about crafting a whole board though, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanghis Khan
msg tools
peakhope wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I agree, I dont think it's worth having the theme or some of the components if you want to refer to them as numbers/something else. Personally, I don't mind if people want to do so, but I think a map would encourage the theme of outbreaks around the world more.

I would be one of those people identifying the bits by color, in my best cousin Eddie voice: https://youtu.be/KtkpTrvwQ6c
"I'll have some of the yella'!"

Thanks to Community, and Chevy Chase's laser lotus level, we find ourselves referring to the clear green bits in King of New York as "energon cubes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Wanghis Khan wrote:
I was thinking of just putting the regions in the regular board, I just like full maps and like others are staying, I feel like that would be preferable than the region disks sometimes. Never thought about crafting a whole board though, thanks.

You'd need new tracks, which are of different lengths than the board game - or maybe just place the ring on the board?

As for the hints that tell you which die colors match each region, you can use the disease cubes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

I have always had an issue with the game. Although I really like it I find that the discs having big dice on them instead of region names takes me out of the theme - I look at the dice and go see purely the numbers and not the regions. Especially when the discs start to fill with dice and you can no longer see the country image. I always think "oh no, now I've got 4 fives on the five disc" rather than "oh no now there's an outbreak in Africa", and have always wanted to have a board to make the experience more thematic.

I don't own the original Pandemic, as I traded it when I got the Cure, so I instead use an old board from Risk that I bought for a few pounds on ebay - very pretty, with nice big countries with names, divided into six areas and easy to read. There is space in the oceans or the corners for the cards and treatment ring, and even space within each region to separate out the different diseases. I find the game far more enjoyably thematic. The only slight change is that the six Risk areas are North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, and South America - unlike in the Cure, India is not a separate region. But that just makes it more global!

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.