$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
J N
msg tools
Hello everyone,

I never got MoM 1st edition because I prefer games I can play on my own when I'm in the mood for it. I'm quite crazy about the 2nd edition, but I'm a little afraid because some 1st edition addons are our of stock already.

Does anyone know which games or addons from the 1st edition would be recommended? As far as I saw it, some of the smaller addons just have some cards and no map tiles, so could you even use them? Or do you just need the base game and large box addons?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Components you can take over are basically: (if I am not mistaken)

Investigators (miniatures), Monsters (miniatures), Tiles

Those can only be found in the Mansions of Madness, Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy,Mansions of Madness: Call of the Wild

The base game's theme is about a mansions with gardens and caves as tiles. Forbidden Alchemy gives you laboratory style tiles. And Call of the Wild is all outdoor themed, with monsters like the Dunwich Horror.

Any other PoD expansion are just cards, which are pretty useless if you do not intend to play the old game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of the aforementioned bits of 1E content are currently in the reprint queue at FFG, incidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
All three of the aforementioned bits of 1E content are currently in the reprint queue at FFG, incidentally.

No they are not. They had been in the reprint queue for a while (in the case of Forbidden Alchemy, for over a year), but they were removed yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The queue is a bit older but I hope they will make a reprint. Also without the 2nd edition I was hoping for reprints to finalize my collection. And with an 2nd Edition there would be directly out of the box a lot of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
KingLz wrote:
Components you can take over are basically: (if I am not mistaken)

Investigators (miniatures), Monsters (miniatures), Tiles

Those can only be found in the Mansions of Madness, Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy,Mansions of Madness: Call of the Wild

The base game's theme is about a mansions with gardens and caves as tiles. Forbidden Alchemy gives you laboratory style tiles. And Call of the Wild is all outdoor themed, with monsters like the Dunwich Horror.

Any other PoD expansion are just cards, which are pretty useless if you do not intend to play the old game.

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for.
Now we just have to hope that they reprint them... :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think that there's any doubt about FFG selling more compatible content. They're looking to sell as much as possible.

They've already done reissues of previous-generation Descent content, which sets a precedent for what we might expect from MoM v2: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/1/9/oath-of-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - FFGs new market strategy appears to be making the base game highly playable but more basic in terms of box content (including having tokens for some adversaries), and then putting extra game elements and "toy factor" stuff (minis instead of the tokens) to market as the long term revenue tail.

On one hand I like the idea of more modular games, which allows the fanatics to go all in, while more casual/curious players can still get in on the main fun. On the other, it also strikes me as a sinister ploy to tap into the compulsive collecting of geeks across the world

I'm just glad my 1st ed. stuff won't go to waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Povlad
msg tools
I think all of first edition boxes are useful and recommended, because MoM first edition is great game on its own for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
If its true that FFG has removed 1st boxes from the repring queue, then I think its very likely that some of that content (monsters and investigators at least) will show up again in future content.

Perhaps not the tiles though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad if FFG dont do full reprints of 1st ed, so many collectors are completionists.

Id rather go to give FFG money for a full reprint of 1st ed than to go to Ebay and give zero money to FFG rather than buy only a partial-set from FFG

Sad if they dont reprint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.