Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have somehow (no idea how) lost the cards for my Caverna set. I wrote to Mayfair asking to buy a set, and was rather shocked to discover they have none available. Is this normal with them? If I told them my game was merely missing the cards, would they have replaced them? I didn't ask for free cards...I expected to pay. In forty years of gaming I've never encountered a situation where I could not replace pieces missing from an in-print game before. It's especially galling since the game is so expensive...it's not like I'm going to go out and drop another $100 just to replace some cards.

On a related note, my copy of Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space arrived missing a pen...Osprey was quite apologetic and sent me a replacement the same day.

I'm obviously going to be forced to make my own cards for Caverna, which is preferable to throwing away a (very) expensive game. I guess I'll have to keep this in mind next time I think about buying something they make. Too bad they publish my favorite designer's games.

Sorry for the bitching...just had to get that off my chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll hold my comment for now, but i've subscribed to see how this turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on stock. I don't know much more than that, though. They may be waiting for another printing to arrive.

You can also try Lookout and they may have them.

ersatzteile@lookout-spiele.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few notes:
- Note the difference between the Caverna request ("somehow...lost the cards") and the Osprey request ("arrived missing a pen"). There is a difference between the situations, and were this the second situation, we would replace them without hesitation.
- That said, we occasionally accommodate "user error" requests. If someone has missing parts, we have bins where parts (usually from damaged games/boxes) are kept for replacement. Individual parts (cards, pieces) are often not a problem, but what's there is usually opened and scattered. It's unlikely there are decks so much as piles of cards. We have no pricing list or fixed procedure for these, as we often don't have consistent levels of components, and some are never available as extras.
- THAT that said, we sometimes also stockpile parts after a printing based on overruns of components, if there are any (and if we receive them at all).

The policy is to fix our errors, and accommodate other requests rarely, based on situation and stock. As it has been a while since we printed Caverna, our stock is stable (read: no forklift or pallet accidents recently), our parts bins may not have a complete card deck in them, and we don't have a process where we keep extra components for the sake of extra components (and in the absence of that, we are not going to break open salable product, based the volume of requests that we receive).

This doesn't change the playability of your current set, and for that I am sorry. PM me and pass along your contact information, if you like.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a VERY similar experience with Mayfair about my brand new opened but I played copy of Patchwork. I inadvertently lost 1 tiny patch piece and asked them about buying a replacement but they said they didn't do that for Patchwork. I too was surprised because yes while I lost it, I was assuming I could pay for a replacement (although I have experienced pieces being given to me free from other companies). I've always assumed Mayfair was one of the "big guns" in the board gaming business and that having a few scavenged copies of each of their main releases on hand would be normal but maybe I'm off on my assessment of the board gaming business and/or their place in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
It depends on stock. I don't know much more than that, though. They may be waiting for another printing to arrive.

You can also try Lookout and they may have them.

ersatzteile@lookout-spiele.de

Thanks for the address...I just sent an email to lookout. Worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
In the mean time?... Scour BGG/Google/etc, print, and sleeve some replacements.

Now they all look the same. Maybe not the production you hoped for but makes the game playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
A few notes:
- Note the difference between the Caverna request ("somehow...lost the cards") and the Osprey request ("arrived missing a pen"). There is a difference between the situations, and were this the second situation, we would replace them without hesitation.
- That said, we occasionally accommodate "user error" requests. If someone has missing parts, we have bins where parts (usually from damaged games/boxes) are kept for replacement. Individual parts (cards, pieces) are often not a problem, but what's there is usually opened and scattered. It's unlikely there are decks so much as piles of cards. We have no pricing list or fixed procedure for these, as we often don't have consistent levels of components, and some are never available as extras.
- THAT that said, we sometimes also stockpile parts after a printing based on overruns of components, if there are any (and if we receive them at all).

The policy is to fix our errors, and accommodate other requests rarely, based on situation and stock. As it has been a while since we printed Caverna, our stock is stable (read: no forklift or pallet accidents recently), our parts bins may not have a complete card deck in them, and we don't have a process where we keep extra components for the sake of extra components (and in the absence of that, we are not going to break open salable product, based the volume of requests that we receive).

This doesn't change the playability of your current set, and for that I am sorry. PM me and pass along your contact information, if you like.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

I appreciate your quick reply, Alex. And I appreciate your situation--I have run businesses before and realize you can't always fulfill every customer's request, no matter how much you might want to.

I probably made my situation sound somewhat different than it actually is by my phrasing. I'm not positive how the cards were lost; I have never actually played this set myself as I have only used other people's sets to play. I suspect the cards may have been misplaced when someone other than me used my set on a game night, but I don't even know for sure if that has ever happened. It's possible that the cards were never in the set and I didn't notice it, since I have never used it. I took the responsibility for losing the cards since I had no certainty the mistake was by your company.

I assumed that I would have to pay for the cards, and postage, and would be more careful lending my games in the future; but I also assumed it would be no problem getting the cards replaced. Mayfair, after all, is a pretty big company as game companies go.

If it were a missing piece or two I wouldn't be concerned as the game would still be playable. But it's an expensive game, that I paid full price for at your booth at Gen Con, and it's unplayable as is. I would greatly appreciate it if you could make an exception to your policy in this instance. Regardless, thanks for responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as it turns out, Lookout is replacing the cards no charge, despite my offering to pay for the cards and for shipping. Kudos to them and their games. I'm excitedly looking forward especially to Uwe's new game at Spiel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I appreciate the understanding; in this case, it's probably that they had the last batch of overruns and we didn't. In any event, enjoy Caverna!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can add a comment, when I purchased my brand new Caverna box a year ago and out of the box there were 2 tiles missings (and I had 2 extra duplicate cards). I contacted Mayfair by email and they diligently sent me the 2 missing tiles by mail.

I'm glad to see they are being reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.