Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I read that the optimal relative humidity for paper and cardboard is 50%. I wonder, has anyone had actual damage in games due to high indoor humidity? I don't mean water damage due to flood or storing in the trunk of a car. Just at home with RH of 60% - 70%. I personally never noticed any problems with games stored in this RH range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I envy anyone who has never had to deal with a warped game board.

Pete (has multiple times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually beginning to think some of my box tops are warping out due to humidity. I keep some of my games in my finished basement but I'm thinking the foundation is cracked and we had water in the carpet from when all the snow melted. We didn't go down there for a while and I swear the game boxes weren't sticking out that much before.

I will gladly accept donations to the "move me out of this crappy duplex" fund now to save these poor abused games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't humidify, never had any real issues. our range of humidity is very high to boot, I adjust my guitars quite often in the transitional seasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, board warping, and box top bowing. Everything should be made of glass. I don't trust this newfangled, so called, "plastic". Seems like voodoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Florida. My house' relative humidity is between 40-60% at all times. If I got outside it's always like 400000000% percent. If I were to leave my games in the garage, I know for sure they'd warp and mold. But I've seen so much stuff do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's 80% humidity here the year round. So far I've been here 3 months and no ill effects (no aircon or dehumidifier). Termites, however, are a constant threat.

Meanwhile an oil painting and a belt and shoes have started moldering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down here in sunny Singapore where the humidity ranges from 80-90% all year round, the damage manifests as moldy games and yellowing of pages/internal game box surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been on my mind too. I was thinking about throwing one of those DampRid things in my game closet. I also keep the silica packets or strips from shoe boxes and throw them in the box when I can, but I doubt they last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had any problems. My games are stored in the same room as my guitars. I do have to adjust several of my guitars from time to time (it's always the same guitars, some are rock solid) but never had any probs with board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here. It's not humid consistently here though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.