$30.00
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to like Imperial Settlers. Unfortunately, I just didn't. The gameplay is best with 2 players, but you need more players to balance the factions. With more players though, I disliked the "time waiting to time taking my turn" ratio (I take my turn in 10 seconds and then wait for 5 minutes). I was normally tired of the game around turn 4, and there was still another round to go. I also don't like games where everyone gangs up on the leader, destroys there engine, and then they are too far behind the 8-ball to do well.

Anyways, I have heard different opinions on if you disliked Imperial Settlers, you may or may not like 51st State. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on how likely a person is to like 51st state depending on what they disliked about IS?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom McAlister
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, those issues will likely appear in 51st State as well. My gaming group isn't that aggressive. The downtime is minimized by being prepared for your turn. So, I love both games--51st State, slightly more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thom1977 wrote:
From my experience, those issues will likely appear in 51st State as well. My gaming group isn't that aggressive. The downtime is minimized by being prepared for your turn. So, I love both games--51st State, slightly more.

I really like that there is not a set number of turns, and that there is only one deck (the faction decks worked better in principle then in actuality I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I really wanted to like Imperial Settlers. Unfortunately, I just didn't. The gameplay is best with 2 players, but you need more players to balance the factions. With more players though, I disliked the "time waiting to time taking my turn" ratio (I take my turn in 10 seconds and then wait for 5 minutes). I was normally tired of the game around turn 4, and there was still another round to go.

In my experience, 51st ends after the 4th round, more or less. I managed to push through to a 3rd round finish (narrowly) the other day, but 4 rounds is basically where it's at (I've also seen a group (which I wasn't part of) play their first game taking 5 or 6 rounds. But I think they must have gotten some rule wrong.)

As for downtime: Yeah, there definitely is some puzzle/optimizing appeal to the game. So some downtime is to be expected. On the other hand, there are a lot of micro-transactions, which people should be doing quickly enough once they have their basic plan for the round laid out.

I haven't played IS, but I think 51st state with its double currency (and limited conversion) makes engine-building a bit more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, I was in a similar position to you when I was looking at buying this game. I too found that Imperial Settlers flowed best at two players but was balanced best at four (because otherwise certain combos get out of control).

Are both of these issues addressed? Sort of.

Downtime - This is still an issue with four players. However, the overall length of the game is slightly shorter due to the points being an endgame trigger.

Broken Combos - These are still present, but it is much harder to run away with the game due to the endgame condition. Someone will likely get a big engine built, but it will also almost always end the game within a round or two.

Two-player - While the issue of balance at two was not necessarily completely fixed, it is better for a couple of reasons.

First, luck of the draw is limited to only one card source, and you get to draft from that source. It turns out eliminating the faction decks helps balance at two quite a bit.

Second, though there are broken combos you can get going, there is an even chance for both players to do so. In the unlikely event you do just continually get hosed by the deck, the game will be over quickly via the point cap.

That said, it is harder to attack, so when those broken combos get made, it can be harder to derail them. The contract cards are key to overcoming this.

TLDR: Is it fixed? not completely, but it is a superior experience that scratches the same itch if you enjoy the theme.

I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.