Shell R
msg tools
So, the wife and I own Awakening the Bear (2nd Ed), Price of Honour, the Marsh Expansion and the Firefight Generator.

And now, we own Guadalcanal. BUT, that is, not for very much longer as we're returning it for a refund!

The game is entirely unplayable due to appalling graphic design - and what a bloody catastrophe after a year of delays and lack of accurate communucation from Academy Games.

"What?" we hear you say? "Explain", why hear you cry...

The art design of the maps has clearly superseded common sense; one simply cannot see the impossibly thin grid lines and minuscule hex dots because of the lack of contrast with the near-black and dark green background art on the boards.

Subsequently, trying to establish line of sight, trying to move units, it's a time-consuming shambles and highly frustrating.

The boards are simply not fit for purpose.

And this last paragraph is a poke in the eye to all the "preview" videos out there on YouTube (Dice Tower - we're looking at you) - where has the objectivity gone? Where is the deserved critique??

A time-consuming shambles.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sham830 wrote:
So, the wife and I own Awakening the Bear (2nd Ed), Price of Honour, the Marsh Expansion and the Firefight Generator.

And now, we own Guadalcanal. BUT, that is, not for very much longer as we're returning it for a refund!

The game is entirely unplayable due to appalling graphic design - and what a bloody catastrophe after a year of delays and lack of accurate communucation from Academy Games.

The art design of the maps has clearly superseded common sense; one simply cannot see the impossibly thin grid lines and minuscule hex dots because of the lack of contrast with the near-black and dark green background art on the boards.

Subsequently, trying to establish line of sight, trying to move units, it's a time-consuming shambles and highly frustrating.

And this last paragraph is a poke in the eye to all the "preview" videos out there on YouTube (Dice Tower - we're looking at you) - where has the objectivity gone? Where is the deserved critique??

shake

I think you posted this on my video preview as well. I didn't notice anything unplayable with the boards I got... Perhaps you got a bad copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sham830 wrote:

:shake:

Previews are hype machines. It has been this way for all of time, across all types of entertainment. Dice Tower is also a mass watched hype/casual audience machine. If you want people who are critical, you have to wait for a while after a game comes out and read all reviews/comments/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Sham830 wrote:

This is a deliberate (and imv good) decision: the grid is just visible enough to serve its purpose, without overwhelming the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a review but a complaint that should be in the General Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Sham830 wrote:

shake

Previews are hype machines. It has been this way for all of time, across all types of entertainment. Dice Tower is also a mass watched hype/casual audience machine. If you want people who are critical, you have to wait for a while after a game comes out and read all reviews/comments/etc.

The "Summer Preview" is not a Review. They just give you an idea whats comming. You have to make up your own mind to decide if you believe Uwe, what he says. What do you expect from him? Of course he speaks well of of his new release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just get a sharpie and a ruler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grafpoo wrote:
Couldn't you just get a sharpie and a ruler?
There are several companies that make "paint pens" (like magic markers but with paint) and lighter colors like white (and metallics). I have a few and have used them to make certain map boundaries more "legible".

Yes, a serious post on a not so serious forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McDougall
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP. The map playability/realism balance has gone too far towards the latter to the detriment of the former IMHO.

It pains me to say it but I feel a little disappointed too - and I'm saying this with my GOOD glasses on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Curry
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I like hearing negative reviews, as it counteracts the fan boys on this website. But frankly a graphic design of the maps that I've personally had zero issues (unless you're attempting to play it during a moonless night) playing with does not destroy this game (especially since it's the same design as the previous game). May God have mercy upon your soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonCurry wrote:
Normally I like hearing negative reviews, as it counteracts the fan boys on this website. But frankly a graphic design of the maps that I've personally had zero issues (unless you're attempting to play it during a moonless night) playing with does not destroy this game (especially since it's the same design as the previous game). May God have mercy upon your soul.

Perhaps an ASLer in our midst

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
Enemy Action: Ardennes
badge
Possessed Tank never goes AWOL
mbmbmbmbmb
My old dad has the same problem with several of the wargames we play together. The last one we played was Tank on Tank. He could not see the hexlines on the summer side of the Board at all, but had no problem seeing the hexes on the winter side due to contrast. I on the other hand have no problem seeing either. We'll get him new glasses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McDougall
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, are my eyes really that bad? Can anyone honestly differentiate hexes in the heavy jungle areas?

Maybe it's just my printing (and/or eyesight) but I'm going to have to either use a white pen to delineate the hexes or just sell this one on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe a lighter green would have been better, in fact I'm sure it would have been BUT I still think CoH maps are the best looking out there.

For those folks who are really struggling I could suggest adding a small dot at each hex-junction in the dense jungle areas using a fine paint-pen. As someone who has serious problems with some games because of red/green green/grey colour blindness I've gotten used to having to adapt games. The alternative is to miss out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe an additional warning on the box: "Not suitable for gamers over 40. Or whiners."

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I love the maps! The art style really adds to the game experience.

Hex corner lines can be difficult to determine in a mass of deep jungle hexes, but LOS doesn't penetrate deep jungle anyway, and hexes are big enough that we haven't experienced it as a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What the hell have they designed... Utter disappointment" seems a little over the top.

I don't particular see much of an issue. Its a trade-off between more realistic maps and functionality - I happen to like the maps as they are.

But, I can find where the hexes are (usually by seeing the hex corners). I don't need the center dot to understand what terrain I'm dealing with, but perhaps new players find it necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McDougall
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Maybe an additional warning on the box: "Not suitable for gamers over 40. Or whiners."

whistle

If you've got nothing constructive to add, then it's probably best to just say nothing. 'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer

No, your eyes are not 'that' bad....I have the same problem..the hexes are too ill defined in color tonality to be easily discernable in the darker foliage hexes...and even elsewhere on the maps its not easy. But than again I'm a geezer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this thread about seeing the hexes humorous because, frankly, I am still amazed that I ever saw this game at all! Long wait for this one and thought I would never see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I find this thread about seeing the hexes humorous because, frankly, I am still amazed that I ever saw this game at all! Long wait for this one and thought I would never see it.

Hexes were a stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angioman wrote:
martimer wrote:

whistle

If you've got nothing constructive to add, then it's probably best to just say nothing. 'Nuff said.
This is a humorous thread. I am able to laugh at your post, so thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Evans
United Kingdom
little sutton
cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sham830 wrote:
...... minuscule hex dots because of the lack of contrast with the near-black and dark green background art on the boards.

shake

I agree the micro dot center dot in a hex is nearly lost in the heavy jungle, otherwise I like the maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy Games has always gone to the end of their limits to bring gamers to highest quality production and highest level of realism(tho altruistically in a board game format).
In questing for pure realistic firefights on the JUNGLE island of Guadalcanal, AG has brought a sense of historical realism to their map boards-low visibility. Ask any of the Marines who fought there how easy it was to spot camouflaged enemy infantry in the middle of a jungle at night. I suggest you send up a couple flares to improve the situation.
In all seriousness however, I personally did not have a problem with the boards artwork, hex corners or center dots. I think that the artwork is fantastic and enhances, not detracts from the game play. I do not want to go back to the days off map boards looking like they were hand drawn and layed out in a very unimaginable, uninspired way. We are experiencing a golden age of game design and technology and innovation is being constantly expanded, thus bring us overall better games than ones had in the early days of Avalon Hill as an example. Great gameplay should go hand in hand with great artwork and production quality. Unfortunately, there will always be some who disagree and prefer the game style(s) from older games.
I understand everyone's perspective is different, as well as everyone's visual acuity. That is coming from myself, an over 40 year old glasses wearing person who doesn't whine. I'd rather see you sell it off or give it to someone who can appreciate it than trying to alter the board(s) in any way with a marker. I can also understand being frustrated with a game or product after having waited for such a long for its release, and not being able to fully enjoy it for any reason, I do understand, but try not to over react, your comments seem just a bit harsh.
Don't fore go COH or AG just because of some contrast issues with one game, better to wait for the 2nd edition of Storms of Steel, that should at least be a lot closer to ATB in map design.

Just my humble opinion and a little bit of good natured humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful, Eric, some people are not interested in humor of this sort. Maybe it was personal, I do not know.

I thought it funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.