Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I got different newbie question that I think I played right but wanted to check.
For reasons I won't get into: 2 blocks attack a position that has defenders on the Flanks (2 blocks prevents the flank bonus).
Enough defending artillery survived for the defender to render the leading block eliminated (2 hits on a reduced 2 block).
Does the defender now have flanking bonuses because there is only one block physically left (the following block)?
Or does the "more than one block" rule hold true through the entire attack resolution (once started with "2 block" treated has having "2 blocks" until after combat resolved)?

We played it as the flank bonuses now counted so attacker lost by -3 (a one block defending and 2 flank bonuses (one right one left). If that is incorrect then the Attacker should have lost by -1 and would have reduced the defender even if they (the attackers) had to retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Defensive artillery fire is in step 6 of the attack procedure.

Flank threats are determined later, in step 8.

The 3rd bullet in the "flank threat" description says "if there ARE 2 or more blocks in the position..."

Since the original leading block never made it to the position, and the flank threat rule uses the word ARE not WERE, I think the defender has flank threats in your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.