Subject: Love the concept, but what if I can't get it to the table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really love to buy this, but one problem I had with Space Cadets was that it was difficult to teach (long amount of time spent with each player to explain to station) and it only ever worked with players willing to invest the time (which after the pitch usually turned them off).

Am I likely to overcome these issues or does this suffer from the same? From reading the rules I can't tell easily.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it is significantly easier to teach than a game like Space Cadets, but it is better with at least 4 (I would probably say 6 is ideal). If you know the game well, you could just administer/teach the first time, probably just start playing with a fairly minimal rules explanation and then guide as you go.

Another big plus is that the game is relatively short, so you can consider the first game a learning game, and then just play again. In our plays, it usually finishes in well under a half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I never played Space Cadets, but a played a lot of Captain Sonar and I've introduced it to several new players. It always went very smoothly. I even played with two kids aged 11 and 12 and they had no problem understanding their station.

The toughest role is the one of the captain, so I would suggest for your first game that whoever knows the rules the best plays the captain.

Also, if you start with a short turn-by-turn game, you will see that everyone will grasp the rules very quickly. Then, you can move to the simultaneous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with previous posters. This is mechanically about as simple as it gets. We had a 5-minute explanation that was more than sufficient and the way the stations interacted was simple and intuitive.

Space Cadets is much more complicated and feels more stressful and this game, while thematically not making a lot of sense to me (turning the boat breaks and then fixes stations?), scratches the same itch for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple game but it's brilliant. I unfortunately think it's best with 8 though and solid with 6. A full 8 is a crazy experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having taught both Space Cadets and Captain Sonar, Captain Sonar is much much easier to teach. The tasks are simpler, there's fewer of them, and there are far fewer components. All told, I'd estimate that Sonar takes about a quarter or a fifth of the time to teach and to play.

Also chiming in that 8 is optimal. 6 isn't far behind and definitely worth the play, but if you can nail down 8 people, everyone will have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.