Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people complain that Evolution doesn't work with 2-players (I am not one of these people). This made me surprised that the blurb for this game specifically mentions 2-player as being a strategic game.

Does anyone know if this was this specifically designed to improve the 2p experience in some way? Should I prefer the beginning over the original with that player count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are widely differing opinion on 2-player Evolution. Over 10 people have told me they think Evolution is best as a 2-player game, but I think the general opinion is that it's not as good with 2-players. Whether you like the 2-player experience better or not is determined by what you're looking for in a game. The 2-player game has greater swings and leads to more stories, but feels more random. It's a controlled chaotic environment.

I'm a control freak type of person who likes a lot of control in my strategy games. Here is my personal opinion:
- Evolution is best at 3 - 5 players.
- Climate is best at 2 - 5 players.
- The Beginning is best at 2-players.

The Beginning was not designed as a 2-player game. It was designed as a more intuitive and casual experience that could be played with families and gamers. There is significant strategy in The Beginning, but good play does not snowball into a run-away leader as can happen in Evolution. So the first game experience is more measured and does not hit you in the face when you're down.

The main thing The Beginning brings to the table is that it plays very intuitive and smooth. It's very easy to teach and engages people immediately. It works great multi-player, but it happens to be extra strategic as a 2-player game. It's one of my personal favorites as a serious gamers game when played head to head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.