Popular Tags: [View All]
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a potential dilemma in an ongoing 8-player game.

Instead of one marathon session, we set up the board in spare room and left it up, playing a few turns each week. It was a great idea in theory. Unfortunately 2 players are on vacation, and all the gamers who said they'd be willing to step in as subs are unavailable.

Any suggestions on running the two races on autopilot in a way that is both a) fair to those players when they return and b) fair to everyone else in the next session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never come up with a satisfactory way to do this. The closest I've gotten is having the remaining players discuss and decide what is the objectively best actions for them to take in order to claim Public Objectives. If the player in question is not coming back, this is a decent substitute to make it so the game doesn't completely fall apart for the remaining players. If they are coming back, this won't work because they now have some number of turns taken without their secret objective or action cards taken into consideration, which could throw the game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! I'm also considering the idea that aliens on autopilot could be guided by certain racial concepts. For instance —

The first time this happened, we had someone bail 2 hours into an all-day game while playing Mentak Coalition. Since they're essentially space pirates, we rolled randomly for control of the race each turn. It was within character for them to randomly attack someone one turn, somebody else the next. It was an "OK" solution.

Tonight, one of the auto races will be Sardakk N'orr. And I can see them digging in, a la cicadas, avoiding expansion and conflict to build a vast army for a great bug war. At least it would leave the returning player a stronger position next week.

[Addendum: turtling wouldn't work for every race, but could for Federation of Sol, Xxcha Kingdom (of course), Naalu Collective, L1z1x Mindnet and mayyybe Barony of Letnev. Other than defending themselves, reenforcing existing systems under their control, and going for obvious public goals.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make photos, post it and someone in bgg can pre-order actions ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.