Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

We used fighters the other day in our game. I had a couple of questions.

1. Do Fighter or FB MGs leave residual? (We were not sure of this one.)

2. I saw that mist, dust and something else is added to the sighting TC. We assumed that rain did also. Is that correct. Would that be +1 hindrance or +2 hindrance for 7+ spaces? (We assumed the +1.)

3. Can you start a strafing run from offboard. (We assumed yes.)

4. At the time we wondered what the MG's ROF was for. Thinking later, I seem to remember it was for aerial combat only. Is this the case?

Thanks.
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
2. I saw that mist, dust and something else is added to the sighting TC. We assumed that rain did also. Is that correct. Would that be +1 hindrance or +2 hindrance for 7+ spaces? (We assumed the +1.)

Air Support is not possible when Rain is present.

E7.2:
"Air Support is never allowed during night or Overcast, ...

And I think that Rain is only possible when Overcast is in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
Hey all,

4. At the time we wondered what the MG's ROF was for. Thinking later, I seem to remember it was for aerial combat only. Is this the case?

Thanks.
Jason
1. Yes. Halved in empty hexes of a strafing run.
2. As said in the previous post, no air support may happen during rain.
3. No. There is no LOS from offboard, so no sighting TC is possible.
4. Yes, ROF is for dogfights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
iamspamus wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks.
Jason

The rules seem clear about being able to strafe from offboard Reading the rules carefully often clears up any confusion about these matters while not reading the rules while proclaining expertise is problematic in this game. whistle

Now, if the sighting TC rules contradict 7.4 -- that would not surprise me for this chapter. But answering questions are best accompanied by rules references, yeah?

7.4 GROUND SUPPORT: Aircraft may attack ground targets (but no Locations devoid of enemy units [EXC: Observation Planes; subsequent hexes of a Strafing Run J4]) anytime during the opponent's MPh (or the plane's DFPh) by making a Strafing Run or Point Attack. An aircraft must always state whether it is making a Strafing or Point Attack just before resolving its second attack. Aircraft attack individually; they may not form a FG, but may attack the same target(s) and leave Residual FP normally. The C3 To Hit Table notes the applicability of To Hit DRM to Aerial attacks. Walls/hedges/roadblocks do not provide any TEM to a Ground Support attack. The DEFENDER may add an additional board to any board edge so that his aircraft can set up in its initial attack hex outside the confines of the scenario board configuration. An aircraft cannot attack a Location to which it has no LOS and cannot Interdict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
Robin wrote:
iamspamus wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks.
Jason

The rules seem clear about being able to strafe from offboard Reading the rules carefully often clears up any confusion about these matters while not reading the rules while proclaining expertise is problematic in this game. whistle

Now, if the sighting TC rules contradict 7.4 -- that would not surprise me for this chapter. But answering questions are best accompanied by rules references, yeah?

7.4 GROUND SUPPORT: Aircraft may attack ground targets (but no Locations devoid of enemy units [EXC: Observation Planes; subsequent hexes of a Strafing Run J4]) anytime during the opponent's MPh (or the plane's DFPh) by making a Strafing Run or Point Attack. An aircraft must always state whether it is making a Strafing or Point Attack just before resolving its second attack. Aircraft attack individually; they may not form a FG, but may attack the same target(s) and leave Residual FP normally. The C3 To Hit Table notes the applicability of To Hit DRM to Aerial attacks. Walls/hedges/roadblocks do not provide any TEM to a Ground Support attack. The DEFENDER may add an additional board to any board edge so that his aircraft can set up in its initial attack hex outside the confines of the scenario board configuration. An aircraft cannot attack a Location to which it has no LOS and cannot Interdict.
I stand corrected.
Did you need to lecture me?
That is another question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is picky, but the suggestion to reference rules when answering questions is pertinent to everyone who reads the post. Nobody was singled out. I was lecturing everyone, if that's what you call a lecture

The answers to all the questions are easily found and interpreted in rules E7.2 - 7.4. Further, there is nothing complex or ambiguous about this information. If anything, it sounds like the OP was playing without the rules at hand and then sought rulebook information through BGG. If a bit lazy, the questions still deserve proper answers if one is going to bother to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.
I was NRBH and should have precised it.
If you read my frequent answers on rules questions, here, on Gamesquad or on FB, you would have noticed that I extensively cite the rule paragraphs most of the time.
Sorry for not having done it this time.
I should have.
You certainly are a better man than I am - a rather easy goal to reach, I am afraid.

I hope that you nevertheless noted that my other answers to the question asked were correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I agree.
I was NRBH and should have precised it.
If you read my frequent answers on rules questions, here, on Gamesquad or on FB, you would have noticed that I extensively cite the rule paragraphs most of the time.
Sorry for not having done it this time.
I should have.
You certainly are a better man than I am - a rather easy goal to reach, I am afraid.

I hope that you nevertheless noted that my other answers to the question asked were correct.

yes, true you are normally very thorough and accurate. Further, I am not better. e.g. I just asked a question for another game that the answer -- well it was right in front of my face in the previous post! laughlaugh so that's my Karma for being picky here -- cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.