United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dusties is alive.

In 2012, I began a five-book unfolding mystery series called Dusties. At the time, while I was personally excited to accomplish this, I was not particularly intending to do it on a professional level. I put the books out for friends, family, and Duel of Ages fans, and intended to leave it that way.

However, there were people outside of that circle that noticed the book, and my writing, including people in and around the publishing business. They suggested that I consider the effort more seriously. Nice things were said. Being “neutral” people that didn’t know me and weren’t to be involved in my work, their assessment meant something.

I took their advice. Over the past year and more, I have returned to Dusties from the ground up. I have been helped in this by a professional editor of excellent quality, Lisa Dawn Martinez (“The Finicky Editor”). Although she savages every page, she has given the same assessment for the potential of my writing.

Now, Book 1 through Book 3 (Dusties, Devourers, and Malfaer) are reborn, and Book 4 (Dalmar) is written and in the editor’s hands. The final book (Campaign), is growing in word count daily. The only remaining task is to create the book covers, and for this I have the artist who has won Chesley awards for Fantasy/Sci Fi art, Kerem Beyit.

Today, he finished Book 1, as seen.

In the coming weeks, hard copies of Book 1 will be made available to anyone who wants one (in the modern day, the first book of the series is always free, kid). I am as or more confident in the quality of this as I was of Duel of Ages II. Even if you are not a reader yourself, your significant other or your tweens/teens/college-age will enjoy it. It is important for me now to build a great beta-reader community, and I would appreciate you and your family being part of that. Nowadays, the beta-reader community is everything for an author.

Stay tuned. There’s scrambling to be done on this side, but it should be completed soon.

Note: For those who have read the original Dusties books, the new version is the same tale, but told with greater fleshing out and many tweaks. Put away your old copy and ask for a new one. You will want to start from the start. The books in the series should come out once every two-to-four months. They will be made available in hard copy and on Amazon Kindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool and congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. I enjoyed the books thoroughly, and eagerly anticipate all of your projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What?

Are you saying I have to go through the adventures of Rodrigo and crew again?

Kewl. So kewl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great news!
Wait, will our old Kindle links then give access to the revised editions? Is this what you are saying? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as a beta reader!

My wife has an iPad, but we don't have a Kindle.

I'm almost done w/ The Riverworld series and would love to pick these up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Great news!
Wait, will our old Kindle links then give access to the revised editions? Is this what you are saying? whistle

Not certain yet. Amazon has strange rules for updating a book, and they can often say no. We haven't crossed that bridge with Amazon yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacDouglass wrote:
Count me in as a beta reader!

My wife has an iPad, but we don't have a Kindle.

I'm almost done w/ The Riverworld series and would love to pick these up next.

Duel of Ages always makes me think of Riverworld
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the books.. waiting on the news on how to download the new one

Now, i already finished books 1 and 2, and was beginning 3.. maybe now i should wait on reading 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
I liked the books.. waiting on the news on how to download the new one

Now, i already finished books 1 and 2, and was beginning 3.. maybe now i should wait on reading 3?

Yes, you should. There are enough changes to warrant that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it isn't released exclusively in Kindle format. I'd certainly give it a go if it's available in an ePub version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that the new Dusties (Book 1) is now on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Dusties-Book-1-Kerem-Beyit-ebook/dp/B...

https://www.amazon.com/Dusties-1-Brett-Murrell/dp/1938826108...

I'm not sure why there are two separate entries for the paperback and Kindle editions. That means they don't share reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the new Dusties. Very nice. It's been long enough since I read the original version that I can't specifically compare the two, but I did get the feeling that the exposition was a bit better and there was a good level of foreshadowing and explanation. Perhaps some of that was just that I knew myself what was coming.

I thought the original Dusties was the strongest of the three books when I first read them, so I'll be interested to see if the rewrite improves the subsequent books significantly. As I said in my reviews at the time, I felt the third book, especially, drifted away from the focus on the characters, toward more world-building that was not as interesting.

I'm still wondering why Dusties has two separate entries (paperback and Kindle) on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon is supposed to combine the paperback and kindle versions over a period of time. I don't know why it has not happened yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dusties series is built like a diamond over the five books. It is broadest (greatest world-building) at the center, third book, so, perceptive of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon had a little hiccup in their publish matching, but they worked through it and he paperback and kindle version are now hooked up on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.