Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Coming over from Imperial Assault, so need a little help wrapping my head around a few big differences. Disclaimer: I have not actually played yet, so forgive any questions that would be obvious after playing.

Walls: I saw no mention of walls under the rules for adjacency or counting spaces. Do interior walls simply not exist in this game? Is it not possible for figures to be in spaces that share an edge that is a wall?

Obstacles: the rule for counting spaces says to ignore any non-obstacle terrain. I assume this means that such spaces only count as 1 space when counting spaces, just like in IA? As far as obstacle terrain, I assume you cannot count these spaces at all and have to count around them instead?

LOS rules seem simple enough but they are SO different from IA. I have no questions about this at the moment, but it's gonna take some getting used to. Being able to draw LOS between diagonally adjacent obstacles, or drawing LOS past a diagonally adjacent figure to a figure directly opposite is just...weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Ralter
msg tools
mbmb
I found this really helpful.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134544/differences-betwee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wall: no idea what you mean. Interior means inside, so walls are all around.

Obstacles: you are correct.

Los: I use imperial assault los rules as they make more sense to me.

Newby: welcome to descent friend! Feel free to ask anything. Take a look through to see if some of your questions have already been answered, as you don't want to be one of new rtl people asking the same questions monthly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We may just decide to use the IA rules for LOS. The Descent rules are just so counter-intuitive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
We may just decide to use the IA rules for LOS. The Descent rules are just so counter-intuitive...

they are just a step below IA.

can you draw a line from one corner to the other? yes? does it pass through any obstacle/figure or along an edge? not in LOS.

only exception is corners are not considered edges (hence the 45° LOS, it doesn't make sense but is consequent to the rules, and doesn't happen that often anyway).

my groups had more issues with IA tbh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
RTL question: When attacks affect multiple targets only one target takes full damage. For the other targets, do you half the total damage results before spending surges or after?

Can any of the affected targets be the one that takes full damage, or must it be the one in the target space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a guide to tracing LOS and counting spaces in Descent:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1612796/guide-range-and-los

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
RTL question: When attacks affect multiple targets only one target takes full damage. For the other targets, do you half the total damage results before spending surges or after?

Can any of the affected targets be the one that takes full damage, or must it be the one in the target space?

p. 10

ATTACKING MULTIPLE MONSTERS
When a hero performs an attack that targets or affects multiple monsters,
the monsters gain an additional advantage during the “Deal Damage”
step. Choose 1 monster to which you will deal damage first and resolve
the step as normal. Then halve the ≥ results (rounded up), and apply
that value to each of the additional monsters, before applying ≤. This rule applies to attacks with Blast but also actions such as “Whirlwind,” “Army
of Death,” and Leoric of the Book’s Heroic Feat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

p. 10

ATTACKING MULTIPLE MONSTERS
When a hero performs an attack that targets or affects multiple monsters,
the monsters gain an additional advantage during the “Deal Damage”
step. Choose 1 monster to which you will deal damage first and resolve
the step as normal. Then halve the ≥ results (rounded up), and apply
that value to each of the additional monsters, before applying ≤. This rule applies to attacks with Blast but also actions such as “Whirlwind,” “Army
of Death,” and Leoric of the Book’s Heroic Feat.

Thanks, but I have the rules and I'm familiar with this passage. The reason I asked these questions is because I feel it did not fully answer them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm honestly having real issues with the way Descent LOS rules interact with walls. The most aggregiouos to me being the fact that B has LOS to A in the example bellow:

A|
X|
X|B

I'm thinking of a house rule that requires the LOS line to be drawn from and to a corner that does not touch a wall between target and attacker. Looking at all the LOS situations involving walls that make me scratch the hair off of my head, this seems like the best answer to them. Thoughts?

Also considering simply using IA rules whenever the target or attacker are next to a wall. This would mean A can see B but not the other way around, which makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

Thanks, but I have the rules and I'm familiar with this passage. The reason I asked these questions is because I feel it did not fully answer them...

like a normal attack you chose as space with an enemy figure you can attack. do the attack as usual. then half the damage (rounded up) and roll defense for other figures - both friend and enemy - adjacent to that field (or more, depending on the ability).

the rules don't state exactly which figures takes the full damage, but imo it makes sense it's the one in the center, the figure of the initial attack. any aoe-damage gets halfed afterwards for balance reasons (an overload would counter blast attacks with spreading out monsters, the AI can't reflect that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

Also considering simply using IA rules whenever the target or attacker are next to a wall. This would mean A can see B but not the other way around, which makes sense to me.

in your example you can explain it if A peeks around the corner to see/aim at B, ofc B is able to spot him/her. I agree it looks a bit cheesy, but it's legal according to the rules - and if you play descent co-op all kinds of stuff gets fudged that would never happen with an overlord, that's just how it is. in the end it's just an abstraction anyway, you can have equally wonky LOS in IA, but as long as the same rules are applied for everybody...

fwiw my group had more discussions about LOS in IA than in descent, but ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.