Subject: Too much for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not experienced at all in euro gaming (and just slightly more in other kinds), so I wanted to ask those of you who do have that kind of background. I'd like to find a euro game where the theme appeals to me (and this one does) to help me find out if I like this type of game. Do you think this one would be a good one for me?

The two experiences I've had with games like this were Robinson Crusoe and Concordia. I bought a used copy of RC, learned how to play, and ended up selling it 3 months later. It just felt too much like work and not play. It wasn't fun. I played Concordia with a group just once and it was ok...mildly interesting.

Does Martians seem as difficult as RC? Should I just avoid this kind of game altogether? I play solo a lot, so if you recommend another game,please, keep that in mind.

Thanks for your attention,
Gina

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gina, firstly this game has 3 modes of play - Solo, Co-op and Competitive so that covers all the bases I think. I solo games all the time so it's good that games are designed with a range of players in mind.

Robinson Crusoe is my 2nd favorite game so I am eagerly awaiting it's follow up First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, but it looks completely different to this game though the themes are similar. Martians - A story of civ looks like a typical worker placement game, if you like that type of game then it should be right up your street. Have you checked out Ricky's excellent video of it? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/103714/martians-story-civ...

I have not played Concordia so I can't comment on that. One of my favorite worker placement games is Viticulture, don't know if that theme would interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
It sounds to me like you should look for a nice dice chucker like Mice an Mystics or Zombicide. Both very light coops that anyone can play, mice definitely being best for kids, with few tough decisions. Both solo well by playing multiple characters. Most Euros, the good ones anyway, are defined by a nice decision space that forces you to select a path and optimize. In that way a lot of them can be brain burners for some people. This game looks fairly similar to Robinson. Both are scenario based, feature worker placement, and resource management. This game has a lot of options which will create a fairly wide decision space. Both are coop, this game features a semi a coop and competitive mode however, but neither of these change the way the game is played substantially. I surmised all of this from the Ricky Royal video so I havent played myself, but Robinson is one of my top 5 so I am very familiar with it.

Flash Point Fire Rescue is also a blast to play solo. Similar mechanics to Pandemic but much less thinky. It also sets up and plays in about half the time, the pace of the game is one of the things I love the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both for the advice.I'm having fun right now with dawn of the zeds, hostage negotiator (really excited about the kickstarter!), Star trek panic. After giving it some thought, I think I gravitate to games that are not too fiddly and generate some tension. (And it's a plus if I get to shoot things ). I'm learning star trek frontiers and it IS burning my brain.

I know I could play this game, but would I enjoy it? After reading both your viewpoints, I m beginning to doubt it. Sounds like it is too much like RC and I'd have to end up finding it a new home. You have really saved me some money! Maybe my tastes will change one day and I'll find a euro that I'll really enjoy. I was hoping this was it, but I guess not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a light and fun euro kind of game, try out Stone Age. This will give you a light worker placement game experience without a lot of thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ginalaurie wrote:
I know I could play this game, but would I enjoy it? After reading both your viewpoints, I m beginning to doubt it. Sounds like it is too much like RC and I'd have to end up finding it a new home. You have really saved me some money! Maybe my tastes will change one day and I'll find a euro that I'll really enjoy. I was hoping this was it, but I guess not.

From my impression this seems to be (unfortunately) exactly right.

It probably isn't the right game for you. Good luck on your search!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THanks, Leon. You know, I've heard good things about stone age and then it fell off my radar for some reason. I'll look into it. I appreciate the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
ginalaurie wrote:

From my impression this seems to be (unfortunately) exactly right.

It probably isn't the right game for you. Good luck on your search!

Bye
Thanee

I'm happy to have your opinion, Thanee. Y'all have saved me from a mistake. I'll keep looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite games to play solo is Snowdonia. Its a worker placement game with a railroad building theme. It plays excellently solo and with all player counts (2-5).

Five Tribes is also an excellent, lively eurogame and for Christmas its designer gave us a solo variant (which is available here and on the game publisher's website). It's a Days of Wonder game so its very accessible.

If you want some theme, some nice euro elements, a bit of player interaction and some dice chucking take a look at Alien Frontiers. It doesn't play solo but is a lot of fun.

Happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hm, not sure yet whether to back or not...

I like the art and setting, the different game modes too, picking it up at Essen is convenient as well, and a good cooperative game is also nice.

Reasons against it: I really like high quality components, and it looks like the 230k won't be reached, so it might be that the high quality cards won't be available, and maybe even not the other high quality stretch goal.

Hmmm, apart from that...

Friends own Robinson Crusoe, I played it once and liked it. Hm, but if they are really that similar... Hmmm hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. Every time I look at it I'm tempted again. I love space themes. I think I'd like it better than RC for that reason. I loved the book (and the movie) The Martian. We'd better decide fast...90 min. I've also been looking at Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.