Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the look of this but worry it's too light aka a gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think its meant to be a light game/gateway game
Kinda like Sushi Go

If you are looking for more than i think you won't find it here
Its mostly drafting and set collection from what i can see of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think its meant to be a light game/gateway game
Kinda like Sushi Go

If you are looking for more than i think you won't find it here
Its mostly drafting and set collection from what i can see of it

That's what I'm afraid of.. Wish they would make heavier games that look this good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Juan Llanos
Spain
Alcala de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There a few out there, like Trickerion, but the heavy euros are pretty abstract
I have to get this game, maybe at essen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeORomani wrote:
There a few out there, like Trickerion, but the heavy euros are pretty abstract
I have to get this game, maybe at essen...

Different look and concept all together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this yesterday at Gen Con. My seven year old enjoyed it. It wasn't his favorite game of the convention, but he certainly had it on his good list.

Going in, I thought it would be a lot like Best Treehouse Ever, but it wasn't. It was much simpler. And while I think that my son would enjoy it, I think that enjoyment would be short lived. BTE, on the other hand, I think he's going to keep enjoying for quite a while.

While the two games are different, I think they are aimed at mostly the same audience. For the price, Best Treehouse Ever is the clear winner for my family. I recommend you take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advocator wrote:
I played this yesterday at Gen Con. My seven year old enjoyed it. It wasn't his favorite game of the convention, but he certainly had it on his good list.

Going in, I thought it would be a lot like Best Treehouse Ever, but it wasn't. It was much simpler. And while I think that my son would enjoy it, I think that enjoyment would be short lived. BTE, on the other hand, I think he's going to keep enjoying for quite a while.

While the two games are different, I think they are aimed at mostly the same audience. For the price, Best Treehouse Ever is the clear winner for my family. I recommend you take a look at it.

but would non kids/family enjoy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't think either game was made with non-kids/family in mind. They would be filler, at best, for my regular gaming friends. That's not to say either game is a bad game, they aren't and I think they're exceptionally good games to play with kids. They just don't have a lot of depth for teens/adults, especially gaming adults.

Of the two, however, I think BTE is the filler I'd play with adults. It just has a little more going on in it with the balance mechanic that makes you plan a little bit further ahead. And with the drafting mechanic in it (as seen in Sushi Go), there's a chance to do some planning ahead each round. There's also a more interesting scoring mechanic that lets people double or remove some scoring conditions and since those scoring conditions apply to everyone, it makes quite a difference.

DH, on the other hand, you get to choose one of five sets of cards (one of which is a single card, but lets you be first player on the next round). It was pretty easy to quickly see which card set was best for you. The scoring system was mostly static (a few cards would modify things, but not by much and only for you).

So of the two, for older kids and adults, I'd definitely suggest BTE over DH. If you've got younger kids that you want to play with, then I think DH is the better option. If you've got older or are looking for a decent and sort of unique filler for your regular group, then BTE is the way to go.

Every kid is different, but I think my 7-year old would get bored of the game rather quickly. I think the prime age for DH is around 5ish. It's simple enough for them to get and fun for them too. I think BTE is probably more 7+.

Again, every kid is different. I'm told that my son is advanced for his age. I don't know if that's true or not. But I've also been grooming him to be my gaming partner since he was old enough that I didn't have to worry about him shoving a meeple into his nose, so maybe he is. I dunno. Take a look at my play history, it'll give you a decent idea of what games I've been playing with him.

Anyhow, TL;DR -- Best Treehouse Ever is the better game for non-kids/family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also demoed a full game at Gen Con (maybe 20-30 minutes?) and came away thinking it's a definite buy, but did wish it was at least a little more complex. It is VERY light. Maybe on the level of Sultaniya? Lighter than Sushi Go. I sort of thought of it as a very light Zooloretto. Even though I love heavy games (Clash of Cultures), I also like simple, very pretty games, and my youngest is 8 so that works with the family.

There isn't really a "draft". You just deal the 2 decks (roof+special cards, rooms) in a line so that they are paired up and then you go around picking a pair. So that reminded me of Zooloretto without the players controlling the groupings. Also the roof/specials probably aren't as important as the rooms so one side is more important reducing the impact of the pairing anyway. The rooms you build bottom to top. And then it's mostly just the scoring. From what I remember:
- Get 4 roofs (out of 9 draws!) for 3 pts. Four of the same color for +5. Get window roofs for +1 pts.
- Get a bathroom on top 2 floors for X pts.
- Build rooms bigger (cards adjacent) to get more points.
- Get Bedroom/Living Room/Kitchen(?) for X pts.

There's a few more things, and probably more scoring I'm forgetting, but that's about it. The special actions let you swap cards at the end or bypass some of the placement rules, or let you decorate for extra points, etc. Turn Order is very important and one of the pairs let you grab that instead of a roof.

Still I came away thinking I definitely wanted it. It was fun. The art helps make it. It's not going to be a filler you replay every day but will be fun when it comes out.

I'm not a big fan of Biggest Tree House Ever. The balance thing dictated too much where you had to put a card, imo. And I don't always like majority scoring (get more of a color than anyone else). I've only played it in a family setting so maybe I've missed out on strategy that a group of gamers could eek out of it.

Anyway, I think this is too light for the o.p. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Juan Llanos
Spain
Alcala de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uhhhh I love Sultaniya. Somestimes you don't wanna think, just build something beautiful, so I think I will buy this aswell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advocator wrote:

I'm curious, what was his favorite game of the convention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.