Magic Realm» Forums » Realmspeak

Subject: Adding New Quests, error at start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished making a few quests, and tried adding them to the "quests" folder. But when I try to start a new game, Realmspeak fires up but it won't initiate the game. For example, it doesn't even begin building a map.

After waiting a minute, I close Realmspeak (which is nothing more than a blank window at this point), and I see that an error has been generated. The error is here below. Any idea what's going on?

Error Log:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.robin.magic_realm.components.quest.AbstractQuestObject.updateIdsForKey(AbstractQuestObject.java:18)
at com.robin.magic_realm.components.quest.requirement.QuestRequirementLocation.updateIds(QuestRequirementLocation.java:64)
at com.robin.magic_realm.components.quest.QuestStep.updateIds(QuestStep.java:287)
at com.robin.magic_realm.components.quest.Quest.copyQuestToGameData(Quest.java:723)
at com.robin.magic_realm.RealmSpeak.RealmSpeakInit.prepQuestDeck(RealmSpeakInit.java:324)
at com.robin.magic_realm.RealmSpeak.RealmSpeakInit.buildGame(RealmSpeakInit.java:58)
at com.robin.magic_realm.RealmSpeak.RealmSpeakFrame.hostGame(RealmSpeakFrame.java:1759)
at com.robin.magic_realm.RealmSpeak.RealmSpeakFrame$7.actionPerformed(RealmSpeakFrame.java:643)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the guts of RealmSpeak, but I'd focus on this line in the log:

Quote:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException

That is telling me that perhaps you have something missing in events? Just and educated guess, but it's where I'd start looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Thanks. That helped. I had assumed that, if there was an error in a quest, then Realmspeak would still start normally but that only the quest wouldn't work within the game.

I had just loaded 18 newly created quests into the "quests" folder. Number 6 had an error due there being an undefined location (or something along those lines), and that error prevented Realmspeak from even starting up.

Now I just need a way to have a quest summon a particular monster (that isn't necessarily a treasure site guardian). In particular, while playing with the standard monster set, I'd like to be able to summon a monster from either the expansion monster set or the Pruitt monster set. . . Seems like that might not be possible, but I'll have to poke around some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help. Sadly, I've gotten well-practiced at looking at error logs & picking out clues. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've finished about 16 out of 18 story quests. I can't believe the number of times I've had to play through each one just to trouble shoot. Thank goodness for the "cheat" module. Without that I'd never have enough time (or patience) to play through them all. .

After these last two, I'll follow Steve's lead and create a few "You are the first to discover XX" cards and then I'll try to upload evrything in a zip file.

My testing is intended to ensure there are no errors in the questing logic, but I haven't put a WHOLE lot of thought into balancing out the difficulties of the various objectives with the rewards.

But it's a very simple thing to tweak the number of Questing Points earned from each quest.

This has been a bear to get through. Took me probably almost 10 quests before I really got comfortable with using the QuestBuilder tools. You can really do some neat stuff. The biggest gap in capability, in my opinion, is the inability to summon various monsters to the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.