Dan Yasinski
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I don't own a hard copy of the game, but I have been playing the app and I love it. I am now considering buying a physcial copy, but before I do I have a question for the veteran PACG player...does the app replace the hard copy game? If you had to choose one, which one would you choose?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to choose one, it would be the physical copy. And I say that about just any game because I really like the interaction at the game table. The app doesn't let you play with others really. The key thing is, can you get a group that wants something like an rpg experience and wants to play through the 33 scenarios to see their characters grow? If you don't think that's the case, then maybe just stick to the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is great for playing solo, but i prefer playing the physical game with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a solo player, yes. Eliminating the setup and such is a major selling point, as is the option to grind your way to all the content rather than pay. Very much looking forward to the next titles also being available in this format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
The app is great for playing solo, but i prefer playing the physical game with other people.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family now plays the app only. We have a Roku3 box hooked up to our big screen tv. I can cast my phone screen to the big screen tv. We then play the pass-and-play version.

Here is why we like it:

Quick setup.
Quick clean up.
Games saves.
Still get the interaction with family.
Can sit in lush comfort and still play.
No worries about spilled drinks on game or dirty fingers on cards.

Because I am a completionist we still buy the hard copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Yasinski
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
kkoene wrote:
My family now plays the app only. We have a Roku3 box hooked up to our big screen tv. I can cast my phone screen to the big screen tv. We then play the pass-and-play version.

Neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Yasinski
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will invest in the app and go from there. There may come a time in the future where I will buy the physical game. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got the physical copy because of the app. I originally played the physical version and it didn't fit with me, but after playing the app a whole bunch, I wanted to pick up the cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in the same boat. Was introduced to the card game via the app game. It seems like the scenarios in the app are from the rise of the runelords physical game, though.

Once the I finish the scenarios in the app (when they are all released), I'll probably move into some of the other physical boxes (and skip rise of the runelords). I like the swashbuckling theme of Skulls and Shackles, but want to really absorb all of the nuances of the game first via the app. It's nice having it basically "DM" all of the rules for me so I can't make ruling mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the dead tree players, the app's Quest Mode (free once and unlocks after only a few plays) randomly generates adventures, which, of course, are not in the dead tree boardgame. So it's sorta like keeping your dead tree game for your gaming group, while playing a *different* adventure on your electronic machine. To a lesser extent, the Missions (?) where you have objectives that may slightly differ from the scenarios (eg. Evade 15 encounters) may change your strategy a bit.

For the OP, the dead tree content is, of course, much more expensive. I've been picking up decks on sale, but it's still going to be a lot of money. If you don't have a gaming group who will regularly play it, you're better off with the app -- and you can play the app as frequently as you want.

Much as fans have added storyline flavor text to the dead tree game, something you *can* do with the dead tree version which you cannot with the app is use the physical cards as a toolkit for RPGs. Use the pictures on the cards to keep track of inventory items, allies, monsters, etc. You should be able to use the PACG mechanics for an actual RPG. Certainly the "deck as your life points" mechanic is a nice change from boring old hit points.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lit2?Simply-the-Quest

EDIT: Should mention that, since the app handles the rules, anyone new to PACG will learn the rules through the app more easily (fun) than going through the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rai
Thailand
flag msg tools
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dly237 wrote:
If you had to choose one, which one would you choose?

\

For me it would be the app, and as you might expect, I mostly play solo. I bought the full package for around $25 and have access to all the heroes and available scenarios.

If you really like the game, I would buy the physical copy, but for me the app is sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of timely updates has made the app's currency drop in my eyes.

I'd like a better reliable release schedule and for them to start some parallel development into the class decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
Canada
Metro Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The initial release of the app on iOS was fantastic. However, since the last couple of updates, the app has become unplayable for me on my iPad. I haven't been able to complete a single adventure lately, as it constantly hangs. This could be because I've been playing it on an iPad3, which is showing its age anyways. Guess its time to think about upgrading. Until then, its back to the physical game to get my PACG fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.