$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: help difficult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan b
msg tools
please i need to now if this game is really that difficult or just is the kind of game that need time and dedication ? thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomo wrote:
please i need to now if this game is really that difficult or just is the kind of game that need time and dedication ? thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes.

It is hard; I almost always play on "easy mode" and still lose too often.

With experience with the game and with deck building (something I'm not good at) you get better at winning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to win every time. If you lose you have to go back and think about what went wrong and how can you adjust your deck to deal with that problem. I think it's pretty great, personally.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan b
msg tools
thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan b
msg tools
thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't consider myself a great deck builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I have successfully managed to negotiate the first cycle of Adventure Packs (Mirkwood cycle) playing on normal difficulty (i.e. not easy), and have won each scenario except Return to Mirkwood, which I'll need to play 2 handed as its so tough...

Each scenario certainly required a degree of time, a number of attempts, and a fair amount of reading of some of the more helpful blogs that guide you through the opening scenario's, but I have to say the investment has been worth it - it's such a beautiful game, and the more I play, the better I get at knowing the timings of actions and responses during a game, and also at building specific decks to counter each challenge the quest presents.

I love the game for it's smooth system and richness of theme, if you are wanting to immerse yourself into a game that rewards you for the investment of your time, this is the one.


nb.

So much more for me to discover I know, I'm now keenly wanting to beat Return to Mirkwood in order that I can open up the Khazad Dum expansion

Time for some Dwarven hijinks !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
I don't consider myself a great deck builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I have successfully managed to negotiate the first cycle of Adventure Packs (Mirkwood cycle) playing on normal difficulty (i.e. not easy), and have won each scenario except Return to Mirkwood, which I'll need to play 2 handed as its so tough...


Interesting. I eventually beat Return to Mirkwood solo with just core and Mirkwood cards, but I could not crack Rhosgobel without knocking it down to easy mode. That's the only scenario I've really not had fun trying to beat so far.

We Must Away is now kicking my butt repeatedly, but that's still fun trying to figure out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yisu Wang
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Metagaming is the fun part for solo (as well as coop). Figuring out a deck for a particular scenario feels like solving puzzles with the player cards (tools) included. The difficulty makes this process feel rewarding!
For example, in Rhosgobel, I chose Radagast (not commonly used) and 3x Lore of Imladris for consecutive -5 damages healing if Athelas did not come out; alternatively, I used Shadow of the Past (not commonly used, might be considered as cheating as the card came out later in the cycle) to pull out multiple Athelas with a single Forest Grove.
But for some scenarios like We Must Away, and The Steward's Fear, I found it is almost impossible to win with solo.
Now I am trying all the scenarios with 2 handed decks, everything feels fresh for me again,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yisuwang527hotmail wrote:
For example, in Rhosgobel, I chose Radagast (not commonly used) and 3x Lore of Imladris for consecutive -5 damages healing if Athelas did not come out; alternatively, I used Shadow of the Past (not commonly used, might be considered as cheating as the card came out later in the cycle) to pull out multiple Athelas with a single Forest Grove.


That's neat. I was playing with 'cards to date', and following Beorn's Path, but if I ever play it again, I'll give that one a try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

JimBGG wrote:
I don't consider myself a great deck builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I have successfully managed to negotiate the first cycle of Adventure Packs (Mirkwood cycle) playing on normal difficulty (i.e. not easy), and have won each scenario except Return to Mirkwood, which I'll need to play 2 handed as its so tough...

Just to clarify for my sanity's sake, you're not including the core quests in "the first cycle of Adventure Packs", right? I only ask because if anyone can beat solo (one-handed) Escape from Dol Guldur consistently, I'd love to see a deck list. I prefer one-handed solo play to two-handed solo play, and that quest is ridic hard playing as such.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hahhaaa... of course, I only meant the Adventure Packs. Escape from Dol Goldur (in the Core Set) totally requires 2 hands. (Which I've also won with, using the decks found in Beorn's Path) .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Hahhaaa... of course, I only meant the Adventure Packs. Escape from Dol Goldur (in the Core Set) totally requires 2 hands. (Which I've also won with, using the decks found in Beorn's Path) .


Someone has posted a 1-handed winning deck for Escape, but it definitely is a nearly pointless 1-handed scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
JimBGG wrote:
Hahhaaa... of course, I only meant the Adventure Packs. Escape from Dol Goldur (in the Core Set) totally requires 2 hands. (Which I've also won with, using the decks found in Beorn's Path) .


Someone has posted a 1-handed winning deck for Escape, but it definitely is a nearly pointless 1-handed scenario.



I know, it seems pretty pointless attempting it single handed, as it's so tough. 2 handed worked fine for me after a few attempts I managed a win.

I should add, my journey through the core set and the Mirkwood Cycle used only the cards that were released at the time.

It's been a blast ! but taken me a while, as I only play occasionally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.