Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like Hostage Negotiator, but $50 + shipping is expensive for those who already have the base game. Much of the expansion is content we already have (but bigger!).

Is there a way just to buy the 3 new abductor packs and new cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand if it is purely a monetary issue, but this expansion is much more than just bigger...

The only things that will be the same are the board, which is now bigger, the hostage meeples, which are now new shapes, the dice, and the 0 and 1 cost conversation cards.

The other conversation cards are all new, most of the terror deck is new, using the new alert token feature as well, all of the pivotal events are new, and of course there are three completely new abductors in the box (not counting the three from abductor packs)

However, part of the increased price (HN was $20, Crime Wave is $35, so only a $15 difference) is for the bigger box and custom insert which is supposed to hold all future expansions as well.

The answer your question though, no. A.J. has said he will not be selling the abductor packs separately on the KS. If you only want those you can buy them when they are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doom 18
Spain
Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
And since HN:CW has new stuff but better, maybe the question should be..... should a new player just get the Captain Pledge (HN:CW+ abductor packs 1-7 + Negotiator Pack)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doom18 wrote:
And since HN:CW has new stuff but better, maybe the question should be..... should a new player just get the Captain Pledge (HN:CW+ abductor packs 1-7 + Negotiator Pack)

For a new player.... maybe. Current HN-1 game & packs owners, (those who made this game so successful as to allow the Kickstarter sequel to even be offered),... no.

IMHO, it's actually disservice and I hope fan pressure on Van Ryder will result in those "extras" offered separately to purchasers of HN-1.
Furthermore, the effect on the Kickstarter campaign will be negligible and might even be helpful in raising extra funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
IMHO, it's actually disservice and I hope fan pressure on Van Ryder will result in those "extras" offered separately to purchasers of HN-1.
Furthermore, the effect on the Kickstarter campaign will be negligible and might even be helpful in raising extra funds.

What extras are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the tokens (hostages, threat marker etc) and dice I'm pretty sure everything in the box is new.

The player board is now upgraded and almost all the terror, conversation and enemy cards are new - so I'm not really sure what you mean when you say just get the new content. I don't really believe it would reduce the cost that much.

If you just want the new abductor pack addons I'm sure they will go to retail but for me, there is enough in the box to warrant purchasing it when I already own the base game. I imagine the cost to VRG would be prohibitive to start producing different versions of different people - don't forget that VRG are a very small outfit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gribbon wrote:
Aside from the tokens (hostages, threat marker etc) and dice I'm pretty sure everything in the box is new.

The player board is now upgraded and almost all the terror, conversation and enemy cards are new - so I'm not really sure what you mean when you say just get the new content. I don't really believe it would reduce the cost that much.

If you just want the new abductor pack addons I'm sure they will go to retail but for me, there is enough in the box to warrant purchasing it when I already own the base game. I imagine the cost to VRG would be prohibitive to start producing different versions of different people - don't forget that VRG are a very small outfit!

...all that is new are some cards, at least according to the contents list.
All the upgrades are superficial, in they don't change or add anything to the game, such as the board you mentioned. It would seem a simple matter to release a pack of cards to upgrade from base set to Crime Wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lordofscones wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

All the upgrades are superficial, in they don't change or add anything to the game, such as the board you mentioned. It would seem a simple matter to release a pack of cards to upgrade from base set to Crime Wave.

Don't forget Van Ryder is a small and growing board game publisher.

This stand alone sequel is an opportunity to improve the shelf presence, the presentation, storage capacity, and overall feel of the initial offering.

I get the feeling this is the version AJ wanted to put out originally, but just couldn't given the risk to his company at that time. He has made some great business decisions and the company is growing quickly (it is now more than just him, but also Evan).

Running a business is about getting your content out in a way that makes customers happy AND supports company growth - if not it will be the last product you deliver. From the looks of the kickstarter less than a week into the project, the Crime Wave package, price point, and messaging are on target.

We do all get that the money we pay for games doesn't just cover production costs, right?

OSG

I remember feeling really wronged when Greater Than Games released the second edition of Sentinels of the Multiverse. It was a bigger box, with dividers, art on location cards, and a new Hero mechanic on many cards that properly scaled the game for player count. I had just bought the 1st edition a week prior. It stung.

This is NOT that. I have played with the new conversation, escape, pivotal, and terror cards and it is an doubling of the contents of HN-1 box by two but actually feels like an exponential increase as you can mix and match adding an entire new dimension to the game.

Plus, the three abductors in the box are great additions... don't forget that content. All of those cards PLUS the new decks would make for a hefty "card pack expansion" that just makes business sense to put in a proper box and attract new players. Imagine the abductor content we will get if the attachment rate to the game increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordofscones wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

Hostage Negotiator is a card game. Yes all the new stuff is cards but that's all the game is.

I agree with everything oldschoolgamr said. But look at it this way. Abductor packs cost $5 a piece. If A.J. got them specially bundled up for the handful of people who don't want the whole thing that would cost him extra, but lets ignore that for now...

So 3 new abductors in Crime Wave - $15

Now let's look at the other cards (The new abductor packs all have 16 cards so just extrapolating from that.)

New Terror/Pivotal event cards - $5
New conversation cards -$5

Total - $25
Cost of Box and "duplicate" components - $10

None of that new stuff will fit in your box as is. So I have no problem paying an extra $10 for box and nicer components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I agree with the OP it seems like I'm paying again for a lot of stuff I don't need... another set of dice, hostages, board. I may cancel my pledge, have to think about it some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
dannyduck wrote:
I agree with the OP it seems like I'm paying again for a lot of stuff I don't need... another set of dice, hostages, board. I may cancel my pledge, have to think about it some more.

Seriously, it is just an expansion. I am not going to shell out top dollar for stuff I already have and don't need. The new content (that actually matters) would fit in a deck of cards. I get that is my choice, and no one is forcing this down my throat, but I would enjoy to play the cards...without unnecessary outlay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lordofscones wrote:
dannyduck wrote:

Seriously, it is just an expansion. I am not going to shell out top dollar for stuff I already have and don't need. The new content (that actually matters) would fit in a deck of cards. I get that is my choice, and no one is forcing this down my throat, but I would enjoy to play the cards...without unnecessary outlay.

Actually, it is a stand-alone expansion. The new content only product you are wishing for does not exist. It's becoming a trend it seems (See Dead of Winter: The Long Night) - one I think is due to how fast the hobby is growing. I'd prepare to see more over the next years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.