Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Game, with son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Clinton
Illinois
flag msg tools
I set this up tonight and played with my nine year old son. Used a mix of Basic and Advanced rules (didn't do "pick up the tokens in order", did include all of the cards except Rowan).

Gave him two Ghostbusters and I took two. Rules were very easy to pick up, timing of various events was fairly cinematic - he'd be in a room with a pair of ghosts, I'd be rushing up there to help him and draw the Door Lock card that would keep me out of that room.

Tides turned in pretty short order - we went from one haunted room to five over the course of one turn, and as I showed up to help him try to cleanse a room, I drew the card that haunted the sixth room.

He had fun and I gave him some strategy tips after the game, we'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Complaints: The little ghosts seem to tip over fairly easily, I imagine that can be fixed by adding a little more weight to them (or if they had a base like the Ghostbusters and the haunted markers). The tiny cards are difficult to shuffle. Finally, the board is a touch small.

Praise: Rowan is used twice, as the "exclusive" figure and as the "haunted" markers. The haunted markers are a completely different sculpt and done in translucent green. It would have been very simple to simply re-use the haunted sculpt and cast it in white instead, nice to see them do a little extra there. And though the board may be small, the artwork on the board is nice.

I have heard that Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters has a superior set of components and should be out next month in the US, so I may pick up a set of that and see if things have improved. I like the look of the ghosts in that set better anyway.

Game was twenty bucks - I think we can get twenty dollars worth of fun out of it, and if nothing else it has given me the idea to do a slightly larger scale board set in the Hotel Sedgewick and play the game using a standard sized deck of cards and with ghosts and Ghostbusters from the Cryptozoic board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.