8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: When to declare use of an item rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that I may be too late raising this one for it to make the final rules, but, unless I am going blind (not impossible), I have read and re-read what seem to me to be the (even remotely) relevant sections in the June 3rd rule book and can't find at what point you have to say that you going to use an item.

This is very relevant, for example, because I may wish to use my +1 attack if I turn over a modifier that would otherwise not quite kill a monster, or I may wish to use invisibility after I have had my turn in initiative order if I am low on hit points and my companion(s) have failed to mop up all of the monsters, and they (the monsters, not my companions :what are about to attack me, etc etc.

I also looked through any relevant-looking posts on this rules forum and only found one "afaik", but I think that a ruling from Isaac, and an addition (/errata/postscript/...) for the rules (or someone to point out to me what I may well have been overlooking in reading the rules, would be equally welcome), if at all possible, would be helpful, on such an important issue.

My son and I are thoroughly enjoying filling in time on the Tabletop Simulator version of the first scenario over and over again to slake our thirst until our copy arrives - roll on September/October!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I suppose this is a little unclear in the rules, and I apologize for that. Using items during an attack should be done before the attack modifier card is drawn. This would apply to things like the power potion, eagle-eye goggles, and leather armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Isaac - much appreciated!

NO need to apologise - this is a monumental undertaking, and such an awesome concept in a board game, with interesting and novel mechanics (IMHO), you can be justifiably very proud of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me, then, what about non-attack items, like invisibility - can I turn myself invisible whenever I wish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On re-reading the card, and the rules about players' turns, and thinking about it a bit more carefully, I believe I can answer my own question here, as I presume that the statement "during your turn" on the card for invisibility can be taken as writ, and I can turn myself invisible immediately after my attack, if it fails to destroy the enemy (basing this on the assumption that my turn doesn't end until I say it has ended, rather than it ending at soon as my attack is resolved, so it would still be "on my turn")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can use an item after your second action if it just says "during you turn." Your turn doesn't end until you say it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, Isaac (and I seriously hope you had an excellent holiday - you deserve it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.