DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mini Expansion: Kaiju Collection III rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Inspired by the original custom ideas of Stu Anderson (andjosh05 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1056972/marvel-expansion-av) and others in the variant section. I decided to add-on to the Marvel characters with character specific theme mini expansions instead of trying to make big boxed sets.

This is for entertainment purposes only. Not to be sold. All art work and characters belong to Marvel comics and the respective creators.

The third and final (as of now) installment for the Kaiju Collections. The set up for this custom Rivals set is different than the original. Its meant to be shuffled into and played from the main deck. So this way Rivals doesn't have to be just a 2 player game. Suggested set up is for every player beyond two, print one more of all the Super Powers and equipment. The reason why? The Kaiju Super Powers are made to synergistically work with the Kaiju cards.

This brings us to the first page

Part III: Page 1

Since this is a Rivals set, its based around the Equipment vs Super Powers. This is the Super Powers. There is one more Escaping Civilian on this page to bring their total to 5 for the custom set. The Super Powers are generically named to fit any Kaiju that can use them. The only Kaiju with a specifically made and named power is Godzilla.

Part III: Page 2

Next to Godzilla there has been one Kaiju, among fans, who is synonymous with saving mankind not hurting us. That name is Gamera, Guardian of the Universe. Gamers does have the GIANT ability and is based off of the use of Super powers. Not just Gamera is there but his enemies make an appearance with the Ambush ability as well as his archnemesis, Gayos.

Making their first Deck Building game, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. These guys are monster and Kaiju fighters from the Dark Horse series of the same name which spawned a short lived Fox Kids show of the same name. Written by Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow. They are thematically built to rescue a card from the destroyed pile, be a nemesis when played against opponent or a help the purchasing player. Very true to their comic.

Part III: Page 3

Although I started making this mini expansion in April before the announcement of King Kong vs Godzilla. This third page was made in response to the announcement of the mega movie. Included on the page is more of Godzilla's gallery of rogues as well as the King of Skull Island himself, Kong. Kong's GAINT villains are very generic and not worth mentioning but Skull island, his home, does earn a card. Different than Monster Island which is an old mysterious island created by science in the Pacific Ocean; Skull island is an old mysterious island created by magic in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa. I guess you can say, Kongs greatest Rivals was "da planes" that shot him down off the Empire State Building. They are represented by using the Military and SHEILD Super Hero cards. Of coarse his other great Rival would be the King of The Monsters, Godzilla but how would Kong fair against Gamera or even Zilla?

Kong's cards are based off of other bought, gained or played GIANTs. Kong has this fairly large ego that gets pumped up the more he brags about his conquest so his cards reflect that.

Part III: Page 4

Ultra-Man makes his Deck builder game debut and I couldn't be happier. His special power reflects the fact that he has limited time to be Ultra-Man and defeat the Kaiju. Ultra-Man is interesting because unlike Jaegers he fights like a Kaiju. Ultra-Man uses Super Powers like a Kaiju and not equipment like a Jaegers. How would Ultra-Man do in a battle against the Pan Pacific Defense Force? There is a natural battle/story in this set up.

I had a lot of fun putting this together. So much to As always your feedback is welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You may discard a card in your hand or discard pile..."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:

Yes. This is text lifted directly from a card in the game to cut down on unrecignizable or inconsistent writing.

Is there something wrong about what was written? If there a correction that needs to be made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

Yes. This is text lifted directly from a card in the game to cut down on unrecignizable or inconsistent writing.

Is there something wrong about what was written? If there a correction that needs to be made?

You can't discard something that's already in your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ah

Thank you for the correction. I will make the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
Ah

Thank you for the correction. I will make the change.

To what? Just "discard a card"? Or did you mean "destroy a card"? (which would be wayyyyy too good at this cost)
Or, if I'm getting the idea of what you're aiming for, maybe:

"You may discard a card.
If there are any cards with cost 0 in your discard pile, gain 1 VP."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
To what? Just "discard a card"? Or did you mean "destroy a card"? (which would be wayyyyy too good at this cost)
Or, if I'm getting the idea of what you're aiming for, maybe:

"You may discard a card.
If there are any cards with cost 0 in your discard pile, gain 1 VP."

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

It's was suppose to be "destroy a card" but I don't think I had corrected the points on this card before posting. Your suggested correction actually works better than my original thinking. It's different and works better conceptually than making a high priced card for a loud scream. Although the Kaiju cards are suppose to be high priced to reflect the size and scale of their size and destructive power, this card probably shouldn't be anymore than a 3 cost.

The change has been made and I will repost that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.