Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought the Mines of Moria boxed set (came with terrain, the 9 heroes, a troll, and goblins), and the Return of the King boxed set (came with 24 Mina's Tirith and 24 orcs, plus extras).

I have a softcover (blue) book with 176 pages. It seems to have complete listings for all the characters with their stats, costs, and add-ons. It also seems to have all of the rules. I believe this book came with the Return of the King set.

However, I see posts about people saying to "Just buy the army books you are interested in", etc. Multiple posts here on BGG mention needing "books" as in plural.

Am I missing something? I am familiar with some miniatures games (Anima Tactics, Infinity, Confrontation, etc) and I know SOME games require multiple books and endless tables, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I also bought second hand some older plastic and metal minis (Saruman, more orcs, warrior of Gondor) and these also appear to be covered by the book I possess.

Am I all set? Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that I am aware that GW released The Hobbit books and changed the rules slightly. I am NOT interested in that.

I have about 200 minis that SEEM to be covered with the single book I have, and I feel that that is plenty of minis.

So do I need more books/rules for what I am planning (sticking to LOTR)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm far from an expert on this game, but I believe if the minis you have are in your books then you don't need anything else. The character stats are the important part. With that said, some books (maybe all) have scenarios and might have special rules. There are some sites where you can download the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
I should add that I am aware that GW released The Hobbit books and changed the rules slightly. I am NOT interested in that.

I have about 200 minis that SEEM to be covered with the single book I have, and I feel that that is plenty of minis.

So do I need more books/rules for what I am planning (sticking to LOTR)?

"Need" more ... of course not. But I'm going to read between the lines of what you are saying, because the parallels between you and I are really close. Though I have probably 50 minis or less I have been asking myself the same exact question: What rules do I need/want? (I bought Mines of Moria off eBay two days ago!) I have an 05 or 06 version of the hardbound blue rulebook. I also have a few army supplements and magazines (Two Towers, Return of the King, Fallen Realms).

Here is a rundown of the rules releases ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Strategy...
... not that even that makes full sense as to "So, which book has the complete game rules?". Check the "Game System" section though.

Listen here around the 3:30 minute mark to hear what the Hobbit book has ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kL5zYoB8nI

And check out Fritz here at 5:45 ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHZ0Ipq40Q
... which if you watch the thumb through you can see a lot of LoTR model profiles, in the Hobbit book.

SOOoooo ... the Hobbit books have updated rules and stats for all models. My non-expert, similar situation, read of the rules/system conundrum is as follows: The real question is, what game are you going to play? (refer back to that "Game System" section on Wikipedia)

1) If you are playing scenarios (mini-games) from box sets, magazines, and supplements, then the rules for the LOTR Strategy Battle game (blue book, supplements), or those accompanying the box set/magazine/etc., are what you need. This sounds like what you have currently. This ALSO allows you to play an older, perfectly viable, but outdated, version of the skirmish game.

2) If you are interested in playing the most up to date skirmish game, The Hobbit Unexpected Journey core book, is most up to date. You don't need these to play, but these are the "current" rules. Desolation of' and Battle of Five' expand model profiles and are supplements.

3) If you are playing the mass battles game, you want the blue "War of the Ring" rulebook.

I think the above is accurate. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the mass battles doesn't appeal to me. I definitely like small bands/skirmish games more. I just like the idea of models being individuals who can move/think/act on their own.

Being as the game is barely supported, I also am hesitant to buy an expensive update to the rules (The Hobbit books). IF I am lucky enough to play, it will be at the local shop in a game I personally arrange or at my house with a friend. Needing to be current and what-not aren't necessary.

I also do not plan on getting Hobbit minis. I currently have:
Two metal versions of Saruman
A metal Legolas
Over 30 Orcs
The Goblins from the Moria set
The Moria Troll
Over 30 Mina's Tirith soldiers
Over 30 Rohan warriors
A handful of Riders of Rohan on horseback
The 9 heroes of the Fellowship (from the Moria set)
And a few others

Being as it will not hit the table too often, I think I'm good with these minis and my slightly outdated ruleset (which I see many veteran players prefer over The Hobbit updates).

Appreciate the help, and just wish I had more players like you nearby! Also, please keep me updated as to what all you buy, your painting, etc. love seeing peoples' work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really awesome collection Brian!

benevolentweasl wrote:

Appreciate the help, and just wish I had more players like you nearby! Also, please keep me updated as to what all you buy, your painting, etc. love seeing peoples' work.

Here is what I have to date (from memory, not recently counted) ...
---------
Misc.
Mines of Moria box contents (gobs, fellowship, terrain)
12 more Moria goblins
Warriors of the Last Alliance Box Set (Elves & Gondor)
Elrond
Arwen
6 Hunter Orcs on Wargs (Hobbit models)

Rohan
14+ Rohan riders
20+ Rohan on foot
Rohan captain mounted and on foot
Éomer mounted
Eowyn mounted and on foot (battle of Pelennor fields armor/garb)
Merry (Rohan armor)
Theoden
Gamling

Easterlings
Khamûl, mounted and on foot
20+ Easterling on foot
6 Easterling Kataphrakt

Angmar
9 Nazgul, metal, on foot
Witch King on Fell Beast

On my Wishlist
Uruk-kai scouts
Lurtz
Wargs, wargs, wargs (LoTR & Hobbit)
Frodo & Sam in Orc armor
Easterling commanders, war priest, dragon knight, Lord of Blades ... anything command
Dunlending

-------

When I started collecting I thought that there really wasn't any way I would assemble enough models to recreate anything from the movies/books, slim possibility I would game at all, but just wanted the models! With that in mind I gathered up pieces of my most favorite good and evil armies from the films: Rohan and the Easterlings. I love Rohan for the norse, cavalry, and full fleshed out feel of their culture and place in the story. Conversely, I love the Easterlings for the un-told unknown possibilities as well as the artistic direction they went.

To pit these two forces against one another more squarely, and not attempt to do a battle of Pelennor Fields, I came up with an idea (totally non-canon) of extending the battle some after the defeat of Sauron. The giant pules radiating from the destruction of the eye dissipates with distance, leaving some of the Eastern Kingdoms still intact. Also, some of the Nazgul remain: last vestiges as evil are never completely banished, for it always remains in men. The premise is Rohan continues a mop up campaign south and east to continue to push 'the shadow' away from Gondor and Rohan. The shadow fights a battle of disengagement and stalling, trying a desperate rally with Khamûl hoping to gather enough strength in forces, and extend Rohan in a weary chase across the wastes.

And someday ... I may actually model, paint, and terrain all that up. Haha.

I'll keep in touch here and post anything I manage. For sure! You have to do the same though Brian. I want to see how you get along as well.

--------

Hey, you might be interested in, and of course these are out of print, but I highly recommend the set of magazines called: Lord of the Rings Battle Games in Middle Earth

I think eBay may be your best bet. They are full of hobby tutorials, scenarios, and mini-games. The issues are typically themed around an army/conflict as well. Hunt a few down that interest you. You won't regret it!

Also of interest for us LoTR dorks, did you see that Cubicle 7 is going to make a D&D 5th edition compatible LoTR ruleset/supplement?

http://cubicle7.co.uk/dd-comes-to-middle-earth/

I have some of the One Ring books. I'm tempted to get the recent Rohan releases of One ring, but find something not quite clicking for me in that system. I have hopes the D&D compatible ruleset will strike my nerd heart in the right way. (20 : critical)

Here is a pic of the magazines I gathered, along with The One Ring rpg, and a great book about the weapons and armor from the films:

Whoops ... steered the conversation away from the Strategy Battle Game pretty good there ... but honestly, all of that LotR goodness only enhances the love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for the thread necro but its only the 2nd thread down so didnt want to start a new one for the same questions

but . . .

I fancy playing this again. I have the hardback blue strategy battle game rulebook, and some older ones from original lotr box games.

If i want to get up to date for lotr theme games (not hobbit) will the mini goblin town rulebook alongside the lotr army books GW sell be all I need? Is the mini rulebook good enough, and, are the changes even worth buying new books for? Ive heard positive and negatives about the warband rules and monsters being very tough now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit rule books are an updated ruleset of the strategy battle game, with some updated battle scenarios thrown in. Those books also include the model stat lines for the characters from The Hobbit movies.

The LoTR source books are compatible with The Hobbit ruleset. They provide the LoTR model stats.

You can play the older LotR ruleset, of course, too. I believe there is a tiny sprinkle of LoTR content in the Hobbit books in the form of some LotR based scenarios.

I'm still holding out for a re-print/combination in a full "Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game" of some sort. Rumored. "Upcoming." (crossing fingers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:

If i want to get up to date for lotr theme games (not hobbit) will the mini goblin town rulebook alongside the lotr army books GW sell be all I need? Is the mini rulebook good enough, and, are the changes even worth buying new books for? Ive heard positive and negatives about the warband rules and monsters being very tough now

Mini rulebook is perfect for what you want. Updated ruleset with your existing LoTR model stats coming from your sourcebooks. Yes!

thumbsup

Check here for what those main differences in rulesets are as well:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/970713/these-rules-compared...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.