Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and welcome to the first ever GoA Hero Spotlight... kinda. This post is just an introduction of how I am going to be structuring these, any keywords I use, and etc.

In case you're wondering if I am qualified to be doing this sort of thing, I will have you know that I am a Bronze 2 League of Legends player so... I probably am not. However, I feel that I have enough experience with MOBAs to at least give you ideas of how each hero works. And besides, my skill level is Gold 5 worthy .

First off, the goal of these spotlights is to discuss each ability, how they interact with each other, and the different potential roles and builds a hero could have. At the end of every spotlight, I plan on having a graph showing some different build paths you can make depending on what you want out of your character (ie: tank, ranged, assassin, support, etc.)

Secondly, as the creators gave me permission to do this as long as I "don't post the entire thing in high res," I WILL NOT be posting many pictures of the cards. You can expect to see at most a picture of the Basic and Ultimate. However, as I think that their biggest concern is that the art of their cards will be stolen, I will still post the stats of the cards (That SHOULD be fine, right? whistle)

Finally, for those that have noticed from the cards, there appears to be a "main ability line" (Tier 2 and Tier 3 cards whose effects are similar to the Tier 1 card) and a "secondary ability line" (Tier 2 and Tier 3 cards whose effects are different from the Tier 1 card). I'm just mentioning this because I will probably refer to build paths like "build all Red Main to be an assassin" or "taking the Green Secondary T2 first then the Green Main T3 to have a good balance of Movement and Defense.

Well that's it for today. If all goes well, expect the first actual Hero Spotlight to be tomorrow or the day after. In the mean time, please check out https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1515418/champion-concept-su... for fan hero concepts.

P.S. I made a GeekList you can subscribe to for all Spotlights I will make. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211713/item/4760571#item4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun poll to do while we wait.

Poll
Who is your favorite hero?
Arien the Spellsword
Brogan the Barbarian
Dodger the Aspiring Witch
Ignatia the Rune Sorceress
Min the Alchemist
Sabina the Commander
Swift the Sniper
Tigerclaw the Outlaw
Wasp the Envoy of the Queen
Wuk & Hanu the Ape-men
      8 answers
Poll created by Dbriner31
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ryan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems a lot of people are really interested in Stabby McStab Face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't put out any spotlights for a while due to technical/personal reasons. Someone else is welcome to do Spotlights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ryan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll try and have my go at spotlighting the Outlaw for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to reading these. Great work on
WhoAskedU wrote:
Stabby McStab Face
so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. He did a good job at doing Stabby Mcstabber Face thingy. My spotlight probably would a been a bit too detailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbriner31 wrote:
My spotlight probably would a been a bit too detailed.

I also wouldn't mind the details. I only have very sparse MOBA experience, so I'll take whatever advice I get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
PiHalbe wrote:
Dbriner31 wrote:

I also wouldn't mind the details. I only have very sparse MOBA experience, so I'll take whatever advice I get. :)

Well, figuring out what works and what doesn't is part of the experience. This is one of the reasons why we avoided giving any substantial strategy tips in the rules, so that players could find them themselves.

Plus I`m curious what strategies players will come up with when the game is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for team structure, a basic team structure would be a ranged person, a support, and an assassin. (Think Vainglory, an excellent MOBA for iPad) Of course, feel free to experiment and see what type of team structure works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
Dbriner31 wrote:
Well, for team structure, a basic team structure would be a ranged person, a support, and an assassin. (Think Vainglory, an excellent MOBA for iPad) Of course, feel free to experiment and see what type of team structure works.

It's a bit tricky in Guards though, since there are heroes which can switch between melee and ranged and there are few heroes which fall under strict archetypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Ultimately, choosing your cards are both to maximize the usefulness of your abilities and countering what your opponents chose. This makes it tough to strictly follow a certain team composition. Choosing cards to counter your opponent, however, is representative of most MOBAS, as sometimes in League of Legends you have to buy defensive items instead of that attack item you wanted in order to deal with someone that keeps killing you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:
Dbriner31 wrote:

I also wouldn't mind the details. I only have very sparse MOBA experience, so I'll take whatever advice I get.

Well, figuring out what works and what doesn't is part of the experience. This is one of the reasons why we avoided giving any substantial strategy tips in the rules, so that players could find them themselves.

Plus I`m curious what strategies players will come up with when the game is out.

Well, one strategy I'm thinking of is sort of a kamikaze move by Arien. You use either his Ult or his Green card to get behind an opponent at the end of the round. Then, you use Rogue Wave to push the enemy towards your team. Your team can then focus the singled out enemy while you try to run away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
Dbriner31 wrote:

Well, one strategy I'm thinking of is sort of a kamikaze move by Arien. You use either his Ult or his Green card to get behind an opponent at the end of the round. Then, you use Rogue Wave to push the enemy towards your team. Your team can then focus the singled out enemy while you try to run away.

Also you can team up with the Alchemist to do some nice push thy enemy onto the mine field action :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the character discussions? I don't want to be naggy, just let you know that I would be very interested in them. To bridge the gap until the game is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
PiHalbe wrote:
Any news on the character discussions? I don't want to be naggy, just let you know that I would be very interested in them. To bridge the gap until the game is released. :)

It's completely up to the community. I would rather avoid writing the overviews myself. Don't want to rob from you the fun of discovering all the combos and synergies.

Perhaps if we ask Tyler or Abel Kim nicely, they will come up with another one. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:
Any news on the character discussions? I don't want to be naggy, just let you know that I would be very interested in them. To bridge the gap until the game is released.

It's completely up to the community. I would rather avoid writing the overviews myself. Don't want to rob from you the fun of discovering all the combos and synergies.

Perhaps if we ask Tyler or Abel Kim nicely, they will come up with another one.

Yeah, sorry about my negligence, but I'm a bit busy with college apps right now, so I doubt I would be able to do much spotlights before October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.