The Captain Is Dead» Forums » Rules

Subject: Janitor — Did we play this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Math R.
France
flag msg tools
Hey there

We played a little game yesterday evening.
5 players, including the Janitor.

1. Build Epinephrine Ventilation asap: everybody now has 5 actions/turn.
2. Janitor takes a tool. They now have 6 actions/turn.
3. Janitor goes to Engineering.
4. Each turn, Janitor plays one Engineering card, converts 4 action points to Engineering discounts, and uses their remaining action points to repair the Jump Core.
5. Rinse, repeat.

This seems too easy. Like WAY too easy.
Did we do something wrong or is this an absolutely overpowered combo? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Did the janitor have to use an action to get to Engineering?

But regardless, I think you played this right. Let's assume the Janitor is in Engineering with 6 actions. He uses 2 actions for actions and his 4 remaining actions for Engineering discounts, plus one Engineering card. You can now repair the jump core once. You can do the same on your next turn provided:
1. You have or can obtain another Engineering card by then
2. You are not injured by an Alert
3. You don't use up your tool or don't obtain another one in time.
4. You remain in Engineering
5. There are no aliens in Engineering
6. The game doesn't end by some other means
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a little while since I played (must rectify that soon) but sounds good. Isn't the tool a 2 use item though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
You absolutely played it right so long as you took into account that the tool you were holding is one of the cards in your hand (for hand size), and you were only doing 1 repair per turn. So therefore the other 4 players were having to do stuff on their turns.

I think you were just lucky to get epinephrine early + a tool + the janitor being able to stay in engineering without some crisis preventing him from doing stuff.

But anyway, yes, absolutely valid, and powerful when you can pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Math R.
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your replies folks -- happy to know we won fair and square

Quote:
Isn't the tool a 2 use item though?

It absolutely is, but the beauty of the combo is that the Janitor doesn't actually use it as a tool, but merely as a way to have an extra action each turn.

Quote:
I think you were just lucky to get epinephrine early + a tool + the janitor being able to stay in engineering

Getting epinephrine early is always my #1 priority, on the long run I think it's by far the most useful upgrade.
Getting a tool, well, there's hardly anything complicated with that, is there?
And with 4 other players, I guess most emergencies are manageable -- as well as comm-system'ing an orange card to the Janitor from time to time.

Maybe we did get very lucky with the alerts though.
Then again, always override those that would turn the external scanners off, try to keep the teleporter and comm systems online as well, and go go go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Well there are several anomalies that can screw you up quickly if they come out early. Also, you can't always override alerts unless you have a lot of command cards when you start. That's why I said you were lucky in being able to do all that stuff as quickly as you did.

Good strategy though. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.