Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German units in blocking terrain under a Tactical Recon marker (or adjacent to it) are being targeted by an indirect fire Ranged Attack using the Tactical Recon marker as a spotter. Are the German units considered revealed for the purposes of this indirect fire or does the -1 DRM for targeting concealed units still apply?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really good question. I was inclined to answer "no" because 10.5.2 Tactical Recon Markers says, "A hex <not a unit> under or adjacent to a Tactical Recon marker is considered spotted by a non-adjacent spotter for the purpose of indirect Ranged Attacks." It also says, "Any units in the marked hex that would normally be Concealed remain so."

However, I'm pretty sure that the intent of that last sentence was to read, "Any units in the marked hex that would normally be Concealed remain so with respect to enemy units (but not with respect to the spotting aircraft)." Or at least that's how I recall playing the game during our playtests. Otherwise, the double -1 DRMs (-1 for using the marker as your sole spotter, and another -1 for concealment) would make the marker's value as a spotter pretty minimal.

I had to think about this one for a while, but logic makes me lean towards "Yes, the units are revealed." Think of the Tactical Recon marker as being one or more aircraft flying over the hex. In effect, they are the same as a ground unit at higher elevation that can see into blocking terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.