Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I being stupid?

I was just wondering if there was a reason why the only expansion listed on the Smash Up BGG page is Smash Up: The Big Geeky Box. Are the other expansions playable without the base game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe all of the other expansions are playable without the base game (all the ones I own are, anyway). Although, that does not explain the way they are (or are not) entered on BGG!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, they exist on BGG and are in the Smash Up 'family', I was just curious why only the one box was listed as an expansion.

If the other boxes are playable without the base game that would explain it (although I guess they're only 'technically playable', in that you'd be limited to two players and have far less replay value).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes most of them aren't expansions. They don't require the base game and can be combined with each other in any way.
All smash up sets can be used as their stand alone game except the big geek box.
The reason is simple they usually contain 4 factions, enough for 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to be able to find the post where this was stated... but I seem to remember is said that the expansions used to be listed as expansions, but were changed. As for the reason, I don't know, either a BGG Admin decision, ot a request from the developer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
although I guess they're only 'technically playable'

They are more than technically playable.
When I started playing smash up, my local store did not have a copy of the base game in stock. I bought 2 "expansions" and started playing. As the experience was very satisfying, I played for months like that, without the base game.
The 2 "expansions" gave me as much material as the base game would have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
I can't seem to be able to find the post where this was stated... but I seem to remember is said that the expansions used to be listed as expansions, but were changed. As for the reason, I don't know, either a BGG Admin decision, ot a request from the developer.


If something can be played on its own or as an expansion, it is linked as "integrates with".

Expansions aren't ranked, something that integrates with something else can be ranked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:
I can't seem to be able to find the post where this was stated... but I seem to remember is said that the expansions used to be listed as expansions, but were changed. As for the reason, I don't know, either a BGG Admin decision, ot a request from the developer.


If something can be played on its own or as an expansion, it is linked as "integrates with".

Expansions aren't ranked, something that integrates with something else can be ranked.


I get the rationale (because they're playable standalone) but it sure does make logging plays annoying.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
although I guess they're only 'technically playable'

They are more than technically playable.
When I started playing smash up, my local store did not have a copy of the base game in stock. I bought 2 "expansions" and started playing. As the experience was very satisfying, I played for months like that, without the base game.
The 2 "expansions" gave me as much material as the base game would have.


Sorry, I'm not sure if something was lost in translation but I think you may have missed my point. If you bought two expansions at the same time then, as you say, you had the same number of factions as are in the base box. That's a completely different scenario to only having four.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
quit and nuts wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
although I guess they're only 'technically playable'

They are more than technically playable.
When I started playing smash up, my local store did not have a copy of the base game in stock. I bought 2 "expansions" and started playing. As the experience was very satisfying, I played for months like that, without the base game.
The 2 "expansions" gave me as much material as the base game would have.


Sorry, I'm not sure if something was lost in translation but I think you may have missed my point. If you bought two expansions at the same time then, as you say, you had the same number of factions as are in the base box. That's a completely different scenario to only having four.

I didn't miss your point.
You can play 2 player games with just one small box. (as you wrote)
And you can play 4 player games with 2 small boxes, without having to buy the base game. This makes those more than "technically playable" without the initial game box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.