Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a solo mode I've been developing for Trickerion. Of the games played so far, I've won one, and lost the other two. More results to follow. Feedback is appreciated. A doc/pdf file will also be uploaded to the files section.

Trickerion: Legends of Illusion Solo Automa Mode 1.1
By: Benjamin Tieman (benjamininja)
Credit to Morten Monrad Pederson for the Automa name along with the inspiration and guidance for designing this solo mode.

These solo rules use the Dual of Magicians two player variant rules, along with the Dark Alley expansion. It does NOT use the Magician Powers expansion.
The Automa
The Automa:
- Ignores the AP of any character
- Ignores the AP of any action spot it takes
- Always chooses the highest AP spot possible, with the exception of the theater (see below)
- Does not benefit from magician special powers
- Does not benefit from Dark Alley cards special powers
- Does not use materials
- Does not spend gold
- Does not spend trick shards
- Does benefit from Dark Alley prophecies
- If given the choice between using a Dark Alley card or a normal assignment card, it will choose the normal card
Setup
Player setup is as normal.
Automa setup is as follows after player:
- Choose random magician, give Automa the play board for that character
- Give the Automa the normal set of action cards (as per Dark Alley rules)
- Give the Automa the magician token and three apprentice tokens
- Give the Automa a random level one trick of their preferred category, complete with trick markers
- The Automa starts with no gold
Turn Order
Player carries out turn order as per normal rules. The Automa’s turn order is modified as follows.
1- Roll Dice
No change

2- Set Initiative Order
No change

3- Advertise
The Automa will always advertise for free

4- Assignment
Remove one theater card from the Automa’s selection of action cards, and set it aside. Shuffle and draw three from the remaining without looking, and then shuffle those with the theater card that was set aside. Place these four cards face down under the Automa’s magician and three apprentices.

- On the last round, the Automa’s magician will always be given one theater card first, then the other assignment cards are selected as above.

5- Place Characters
The Automa places characters with this priority level in mind:
1) Theater (if either player or Automa has their magician performing)
2) Downtown
3) Market Row
4) Dark Alley
5) Workshop
6) Theater (if neither player nor Automa has their magician performing)
The Automa will also always prioritize spots that the player has cards assigned for but hasn’t placed the character yet.
e.g. The Automa will place a character in the market row before the theater if the player has a market row card assigned, but hasn’t placed the character yet, and the player has either no theater card assigned, or has already placed that character.
If the Automa has a character assigned to a location (with the exception of the theater, see below), and there are no actions for that character, it just doesn’t take an action that round.

Theater
-If either player or Automa has a magician assigned to the theater, the priority level for the days is: Sunday, Friday, Saturday, Thursday.
-If no magician is assigned to the theater, the priority level for the days is: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
-The Automa’s assigned apprentices will always set up one of each available trick (those with markers prepared), beginning with the theater card to the far left, and moving to the right as necessary. It will create as many links as possible, and benefits from these as normal (fame and trick shard). If there are no links to be made, it will start with the top spot, and move down, left to right.
-In the case that an apprentice is assigned to the theater and there are no actions available, it will move to the workshop and take an action there instead.
-In the case that the magician is assigned to perform, and there are no tricks set up, the magician will spend its actions setting up tricks.
-In the case that the magician is assigned to perform, and there are no tricks set up, nor any prepared, the magician will spend its actions preparing the tricks. If there happens to be an apprentice assigned to the theater as well, it will spend those actions first to prepare the tricks, and the magician’s actions to set them up.

Downtown
The Automa will turn one die of each set to the “X” face, prioritizing as follows:
-Hire Dice: Picks the assistant over the apprentice.
-Trick Dice: Picks favored trick first, then ?, then the player’s favored trick, then chooses the left die over the right. If the Automa has less than three tricks, it will take the highest level trick (based on fame threshold) from the selected category and add it to the workshop. If the Automa has three tricks, it will discard the lowest level trick with the least trick markers set up on theater cards, replacing that trick with the newly selected one. If there is a tie, it will discard the left most of the tied tricks.
-Money Dice: Picks highest value and takes gold as normal.

Market Row
-Pull x random materials, where x is the number of blank spots in the order area. Place these one by one as they are pulled, and then discard any that match materials in the ship area, and also discard one half of any double in the order area. Do not redraw for the discarded materials.

Dark Alley
-Draw one card of special action cards (priority: theater, downtown, market row, workshop), skipping any if the Automa already has a special action card for that area.
-After drawing, discard the top card of each other special action cards, then turn the prophecies one turn.

Workshop
-Fills trick markers (to max) on any available tricks in workshop.

6- Performance
-If the Automa has any tricks on a theater card that will be discarded at the end of the turn, it will perform on that card.
Otherwise, it will always perform on the card that will gain the most points (between trick yields, yield bonus, and theater card bonus).
-If the Automa has any tricks on a theater card that will be discarded at the end of the turn, and did not assign a magician to the theater that turn, it will still perform on that card, but with the Thursday yield applied.
-The Automa is affected by both Friday and Sunday trick yield, as normal.
-Gets one bonus fame for each apprentice assigned to the theater when performing.

7- End Phase
The only change is that the Automa does not need to pay wages.

End game is scored as normal.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for using my Automa Approach, it's really awesome for me to see it spread.

I have never tried Trickerion, so I can't really offer you any specific input, but I've read through your post and like how much you seem to have streamlined running the Automa.

I'd appreciate it if you would add an itme to this geeklist: Games with Automa opponents for solo play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.
I own and like Trickerion.
Will give this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I promised ages ago to do a Trickerion Automa, but got busy with doing one for Anachrony (and with every other project). Looking at my old notes, you've done pretty much exactly what I was planning on doing (possibly even simpler), so you have my thumbsup, geekgold, and completely meaningless endorsment (as I'm not affiliated with Trickerion, I just promised MindClash that I'll look into the solo mode, but you beat me to the punch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my copy of Trickerion will arrive in the next few days, looks like I will have something to do with it by then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I set it all up last night and at first glance the rules look great, easily comprehended and implemented. Awesome work!! I had some questions regarding the theater, though.

1. In my very first round, both of the Automa's Theater assignment cards were dealt to apprentices. Is Automa allowed to set up two trick markers from the same trick on the same Theater card?

2. When setting up tricks, the Automa will create as many links as possible, and benefits from these as normal (fame and trick shard). Is the "as many links as possible" rule applied to the individual tricks as they're set up, or collectively to all the tricks you know will be set up by Automa that round?

3. How does Automa determine on which theater card to set up tricks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
I set it all up last night and at first glance the rules look great, easily comprehended and implemented. Awesome work!! I had some questions regarding the theater, though.

1. In my very first round, both of the Automa's Theater assignment cards were dealt to apprentices. Is Automa allowed to set up two trick markers from the same trick on the same Theater card?

2. When setting up tricks, the Automa will create as many links as possible, and benefits from these as normal (fame and trick shard). Is the "as many links as possible" rule applied to the individual tricks as they're set up, or collectively to all the tricks you know will be set up by Automa that round?

1) Interesting! I didn't think of this situation. Thanks for bringing it up! No doubling tricks on the same theater card for the Automa, he wouldn't want to possible give away his secrets by performing the same trick twice. I've edited the rules to help with this and similar situations, but I'll quote it here as well. Let me know if this helps!
Quote:
-In the case that multiple apprentices are assigned to the theater, but the magician is not, and there is an apprentice who can not set up any tricks at all (e.g. first round, both apprentices being assigned to the theater, with only one theater card), one apprentice will switch assignment cards with the magician, causing him to perform later in the round.

2) I've been playing that the Automa tries to set up as many links as possible using all the tricks that are being set up by the one apprentice who is taking his action. If another apprentice will be also setting up tricks later that round, those are not taken into consideration.

3) Begin with the left-most theater card and move right. I edited the rules to hopefully clarify this.

Let me know if the "apprentices setting up tricks" part of the rules makes sense, or if I should include an example to assist.

Thanks for testing it out and giving me feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
I promised ages ago to do a Trickerion Automa, but got busy with doing one for Anachrony (and with every other project). Looking at my old notes, you've done pretty much exactly what I was planning on doing (possibly even simpler), so you have my thumbsup, geekgold, and completely meaningless endorsment (as I'm not affiliated with Trickerion, I just promised MindClash that I'll look into the solo mode, but you beat me to the punch).

Hey thanks! Very cool that our methods look similar, let me know if you see anything you thought of that might improve this. I'm definitely looking forward to Anachrony and the solo mode on that one, thanks for doing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Thank you for using my Automa Approach, it's really awesome for me to see it spread.

I have never tried Trickerion, so I can't really offer you any specific input, but I've read through your post and like how much you seem to have streamlined running the Automa.

I'd appreciate it if you would add an itme to this geeklist: Games with Automa opponents for solo play

Absolutely, I'll add it on there, thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamininja wrote:
lSweetJusticel wrote:

1) Interesting! I didn't think of this situation. Thanks for bringing it up! No doubling tricks on the same theater card for the Automa, he wouldn't want to possible give away his secrets by performing the same trick twice. I've edited the rules to help with this and similar situations, but I'll quote it here as well. Let me know if this helps!
Quote:
-In the case that multiple apprentices are assigned to the theater, but the magician is not, and there is an apprentice who can not set up any tricks at all (e.g. first round, both apprentices being assigned to the theater, with only one theater card), one apprentice will switch assignment cards with the magician, causing him to perform later in the round.

2) I've been playing that the Automa tries to set up as many links as possible using all the tricks that are being set up by the one apprentice who is taking his action. If another apprentice will be also setting up tricks later that round, those are not taken into consideration.

3) Begin with the left-most theater card and move right. I edited the rules to hopefully clarify this.

Let me know if the "apprentices setting up tricks" part of the rules makes sense, or if I should include an example to assist.

Thanks for testing it out and giving me feedback!

After further consideration and testing, for now I think it will work better and make more sense if instead the second apprentice just doesn't do anything. Congrats! The Automa has lost an action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After losing another game to the Automa (6 point spread), I made a few clarifications on some rules.

I also changed AGAIN the answer to |SweetJustice|'s question #1 above. The Automa was dissatisfied with his apprentices just sitting around at the theater, so he will be sending them to the workshop if they have nothing to do at the theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I'd been mulling over some possible solo rules for this, but these are better realized. I'll hopefully try them out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Automa will turn one die of each set to the “X” face, prioritizing as follows:
-Trick Dice: Picks favored trick first, then ?, then the player’s favored trick, then chooses the left die over the right. If the Automa has less than three tricks, it will take the highest level trick (based on fame threshold) from the selected category and add it to the workshop. If the Automa has three tricks, it will discard the lowest level trick with the least trick markers set up on theater cards, replacing that trick with the newly selected one. If there is a tie, it will discard the left most of the tied tricks.

So for one downtown action, Automa will do all three of those things? It never actually gains an assistant, though, right? Or does it? No, I guess it wouldn't need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Quote:

So for one downtown action, Automa will do all three of those things? It never actually gains an assistant, though, right? Or does it? No, I guess it wouldn't need to.

Correct, it does all three actions, but doesn't actually ever gain a helper/apprentice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
"if given the choice between using a Dark Alley card or a normal assignment card, it will choose the normal card"

I'm not sure I fully understand this clause. Since the cards are randomly assigned there is no point where they are making a "choice".

Does this mean if there is an unused permanent assignment card of the category of the dark alley card you swap them? So dark alley cards are only used if there are 2 workers being sent to: Downtown, Market Row or workshop.. or 3 workers sent to the theater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narninian wrote:
"if given the choice between using a Dark Alley card or a normal assignment card, it will choose the normal card"

I'm not sure I fully understand this clause. Since the cards are randomly assigned there is no point where they are making a "choice".

Does this mean if there is an unused permanent assignment card of the category of the dark alley card you swap them? So dark alley cards are only used if there are 2 workers being sent to: Downtown, Market Row or workshop.. or 3 workers sent to the theater?

Say the Automa was dealt a theater card, a normal downtown card, a special action downtown card, and a market row card. If the player took a downtown action, leaving only one spot open, the Automa would use the apprentice/magician assigned with the normal downtown card, leaving the special action downtown assignment to be passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out today. It was fun, and generally speaking seemed to work well. I did feel like there might be some ways to smooth the AI out a little bit. Or possibly to just clarify some things a little better. Before I make a suggestion or two, though, I want to be sure that I'm even playing it as intended, which I very well might not have.

When you say to fill trick markers to the max in the workshop, do you intend that they be filled even if they still have a trick left on them? That's how I played it, taking the wording very literally. Of course, that's breaking the actual rule, but sometimes with Automa rules, that has to happen to give it some advantage. It occurred to me afterwards that that might not have been your intention. Or, I'm looking for excuses for why I lost so badly.

More later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice work, benjamininja! I love this game, but I've only been able to play it once. I've been waiting to try a good solo variant. I'm trying yours right now.

So, Automasso is playing to Market Row, but I'm having a hard time following your instructions...

benjamininja wrote:
Market Row
-Pull x random materials, where x is the number of blank spots in the order area. Place these one by one as they are pulled, and then discard any that match materials in the ship area, and also discard one half of any double in the order area. Do not redraw for the discarded materials.

I assume this is all about filling up the Order spots in MR. Perhaps (in your automa rules), you could start with "Market Row: Automa fills the Order spots."

* What is the "ship" area (as you put it)? Is it the "Quick Order" space (according to the rules)?
* By "discard one half of any double in the order area", do you mean "discard any materials that are already in the Order area"?

The rest I can understand to be "how to handle materials already available or shipping".

I keep my materials in a plano case, separated out. Do you think it would work if I put two of each in a draw bag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I beat Automasso, 85-49. We were pretty close for most of the game, but I started to pull away in the third- or second-last round. Then, in the final round, I picked up a good threshold 36 trick, set it up and performed it and it yielded me an additional 12 points for having all four Apprentices (3 pts each).

...and I just discovered what I did wrong. I didn't read the Downtown rules properly - I didn't give him any other tricks, apprentices or money. I just flipped a "hire" die to the "X" side. I'm sure that would have had a huuuge impact on the game. whistle

Anyway, a few thoughts...
* I liked the automa's "take that" move in the Dark Alley - discarding the Special Assignments that he doesn't take.
* I also liked the automa's random interference at Market Row. I planned around it, though, and chose my tricks around the materials he'd ordered.
* The automa's theatre prioritisation worked well for him in my game. A couple of times, he prevented me from firing off his tricks on my performance.

All-in-all, it was a fun and relatively straightforward solo game. I look forward to trying it again. And I'll read the rules properly next time. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about purchase this game mainly for solo, so I really appreciate this variant. Does this automa need the Dahlgaard's Gifts Expansion to play it? I can't find the components of the expansion, so I don't know if the Duel of the Magicians module is only a new rule or also adds new components this automa needs.

The other module the expansion has, the Magician Powers, I see is not compatible with the automa. Is that correct? From the description of this module in the description page here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/172659/trickeri...
I see this module adds lots of variety, 90 cardssurprise. It's a pity that it's not compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
I'm thinking about purchase this game mainly for solo, so I really appreciate this variant. Does this automa need the Dahlgaard's Gifts Expansion to play it? I can't find the components of the expansion, so I don't know if the Duel of the Magicians module is only a new rule or also adds new components this automa needs.

The 'Duel of the Magicians' portion of Dahlgaard's Gifts has 2 aspects:

The first just adds a different set of Theater cards which have some of the spaces 'pre-filled' so that in a 2 player game, magicians can more easily form links and get bonuses. So it wouldn't be strictly required for the automa but it does tighten up the game a little in the same way it does for 2 players.

In a normal game there are 4 worker placement spots for each area. In the normal 2 player game, the middle 2 spots are 'blocked'. The second aspect of the expansion basically is a deck of cards which randomizes which of the 2 spaces is blocked each round. Again, not strictly required, it just gives the game a little more tactical feel when you have to plan for which spaces might not be available next turn.

alexandermagno wrote:
The other module the expansion has, the Magician Powers, I see is not compatible with the automa. Is that correct? From the description of this module in the description page here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/172659/trickeri...
I see this module adds lots of variety, 90 cardssurprise. It's a pity that it's not compatible.

The magician powers are a nice bit of fun and I agree it would be nice to see added to the automa. I don't imaging it would be too challenging to incorporate. You'll generally never see more than 4 of those cards in play during a game (per player) so maybe you could have a setup where the automa gains an appropriate level power whenever you do, like a mirror. You might have to weed out some of the cards that don't really make sense though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
The magician powers are a nice bit of fun and I agree it would be nice to see added to the automa. I don't imaging it would be too challenging to incorporate. You'll generally never see more than 4 of those cards in play during a game (per player) so maybe you could have a setup where the automa gains an appropriate level power whenever you do, like a mirror. You might have to weed out some of the cards that don't really make sense though.

How many cards are there which don't really make sense with this variant?

Given your previous answer, I need to think more carefully about the expansion. Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
How many cards are there which don't really make sense with this variant?

I'm afraid I couldn't say,as I've only played with about 12 of the 90 so far, and none with solo specifically in mind, but the ones I've seen seem like they should work fine. But take that with a huge grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
In a normal game there are 4 worker placement spots for each area. In the normal 2 player game, the middle 2 spots are 'blocked'. The second aspect of the expansion basically is a deck of cards which randomizes which of the 2 spaces is blocked each round. Again, not strictly required, it just gives the game a little more tactical feel when you have to plan for which spaces might not be available next turn.

You don't need the 'Duel of the Magicians' to randomise these worker placement spots. What DotM does give you is a non-repeating (I believe) combination of blocks across the whole town - each card gives you a different combination of blocks.

There are four options for blocking in each district: left pair, right pair, outer pair and inner pair. So you could use your own randomisation method - such as a D4 - to determine which pair is randomised in each district of the town.

If you wanted the non-repeating combination, you could make up your own set of randomisation cards, a la DotM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.