1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Favourite Faction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
So, having had a chance to play all the factions, what are people's favourites turning out to be?
This isnt so much a question about what is strongest, but rather what faction most matches your default play style.
For me, Nordic Kingdoms are quickly coming out on top. The ability to retreat to lakes and shift workers across water is fantastic, their mechs look the coolest, and Mox ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiming in for Crimea! Thinking about cropping Zehra and Kar and making them my avatar. The pair was the coolest-looking mini to me out of the box before I ever played the game, too. Their use of combat cards (and ability to chuck the weaker ones for goods while keeping the better ones) is right up my alley.

Is it possible to create this as a poll instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Polania and Saxony so far. I found the 2 choices per encounter card really sweet, altho you cant help but want to move like crazy to every encounter space to get more and more, and that can hurt other parts of your engine if you concentrate on that to much. Also, Submerge was flat out awesome !

Saxony was less impressive tbh, I managed to get both my objectives done to take advantage of multiple stars ability, but that was about it. I only got 1 star in combat, much less 3+, and didnt have much of a chance to have battles on the tunnels.

I am lloking forward to playing yellow Crimea next tho !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not Saxony, which I think I've had a couple of times now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a tiger. Do you have a tiger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which faction in Scythe is your favorite?
Saxony
Rusviet
Nordic
Crimea
Polania
      120 answers
Poll created by negmon

Here is a poll to go with the OPs question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, I like them all.

My favorite is probably the Nordic because I like their ability to have the workers swim, and their mech and workers are my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Williams
msg tools
Throwing my vote in for Crimea first and probably Rusvet second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently: Rusviet

I've played them the most and they play very straightforward. Solid engine to these guys...and they have a tiger.

Personal favorite: Polania

Jakub likes them best, and for good reason. They're like the "hero faction" in the game, and encounters are way more fun with them.

Gonna-be favorite: Saxony

I've yet to play with them, but I'm gonna enjoy running around messing with people the whole game and trying for LOTS of combat stars. That could get addicting, even if it remains difficult to do successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A bit disappointed for the lack of Saxony love.
Crimea's my favorite, but Saxony's second. Every spot adjacent to a tunnel is a spot onto which you can swoop. It's a powerful feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Nordic Kingdoms the hardest faction. What am I doing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (and my group) have played Nordic, Crimea, Polania, and Saxony so far.

I think some of the faction abilities (pre-Mech building) tend to vary in usefulness depending on the player count.

Polania, for instance, is great to have when there are fewer opponents on the board to deal with. But with a game of 4-5, you only have a couple of encounters before all the accessible ones are scooped up.

Saxony's stars-for-combat ability, inversely, benefits from a crowded map. Having 4-5 people on the board gives your character and mechs a wider variety of easy targets to pick from. You're quite likely to find weak opponents that have very little power and/or combat cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
I find it interesting that saxony sees so little love. They can be an absolute terror in 2 player games, confining your opponent to their starting base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
I find it interesting that saxony sees so little love. They can be an absolute terror in 2 player games, confining your opponent to their starting base.

That happened to me recently angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 12 times now and have played each faction at least twice. I've played Crimea most and I have a very soft spot for them: I like their rinky-dink-seeming mechs and their Scout ability coupled with Crimea's economy built upon combat cards -- turns them into scary land-pirates. Their starting area is also very comfortable for me as well.

I have recently played two very great games as Rusviet and I do love their mech design, tiger, and action-spamming ability so I have a warm feeling toward them as well. But I also love things about all the other factions, too: I've won handily as Saxony with their combat-spamming ability; I enjoy my swimming viking workers as the Nordic Kingdom; and Polania is just loveable no matter what (my gaming group has had a lot of wins with Polania).

I don't feel as warmly toward Saxony or Nordic Kingdoms, but I enjoy the unique challenges each faction presents and I don't really feel that any particular faction is stronger than any other. If anything, it's faction/player mat combo and the player's ability to make that work that dictates how well that faction will do. Not that a faction doing well makes it my favorite. /rambleblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 22 times. In all those times Crimea has NEVER won. I've only played that faction twice, but it just seems hard for people to get their engine going.

That being said though, they've probably come in second a good number of times. But just can't generate enough to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
I have played 22 times. In all those times Crimea has NEVER won. I've only played that faction twice, but it just seems hard for people to get their engine going.

That being said though, they've probably come in second a good number of times. But just can't generate enough to win.

I've had great success with Crimea/Agriculture, especially if my neighbors are good with following through on their bottom row actions because I use this player-mat to get all my Enlisting done ASAP before bothering to go anywhere or do anything else. But for whatever reason, of my 15+ plays thus far, they've only won three times (and in most of the games they lost, they either did not have Ag or newbies were playing them so as far as my own data-keeping goes I'm looking forward to more games to see how they fare).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Crimea/Agriculture is only 1-in-5 (1-in-7 if you have Invaders). Assuming you use random distribution. Although I think there's another mat that has Upgrade for 2 Oil.

The Crimeans do very well with Agriculture, true. But when they have to pay 3 instead of 2 to Upgrade (or 4 instead of 3 to Enlist), they tend to be a bit weaker, since they don't start with any cbt cards. That means it takes them potentially three turns to do an Upgrade, doesn't it (Bolster/Trade + Trade/Bolster, + XXX/Upgrade if Upgrade isn't part of those two actions)? And Enlisting isn't necessarily cheap, either.

Crimeans seem to do well or not based on what player mat they get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimea is my favorite. I find their engine can get going quicker since youre never 1 resource short of doing what you need. I do find it odd others are saying they dont win often. Though most of their advantage is in early game since they essentially have more resources to get out their stuff earlier. Also 'Scout' is awesome. They do win alot in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of an oversimplified question. Some factions play more effectively depending on the Action Board match-ups. There is out there somewhere an optional "balanced set-up" which matches Factions to Action boards according to a set algorithm. It works best when all five factions are in the game but it can be used with less. We've tried it once and the balance did seem to be there. Turns needed to get one's "engine going" seemed to be roughly similar. In which case, it could come down to your play style and which of the Faction unique powers or mech powers you particularly like. i can't say I have a clear favorite at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
There is out there somewhere an optional "balanced set-up" which matches Factions to Action boards according to a set algorithm.

Are you talking hypothetically here, or is there a specific algorithm you're referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
Bubslug wrote:
There is out there somewhere an optional "balanced set-up" which matches Factions to Action boards according to a set algorithm.

Are you talking hypothetically here, or is there a specific algorithm you're referring to?
Yes, I tried searching for it and failed. So here it is (it refers only to the original five factions):

Assign factions randomly; Saxony then randomly chooses either Action board #1 (Industrial) or #2 (Engineering); Crimea then chooses randomly between Action board #3 (Patriotic) or #4 (Mechanical); Polonia gets the board not chosen by Crimea; Nordic randomly chooses between the two remaining boards; and, finally, Rusviet gets the last remaining board (will be either #1, #2 or#5). There are still a number of variations, but with, admittedly, few opportunities to fully analyze this, early indications are that it does seem to result in a reasonably balanced set-up. What a player does with what they end up with, even if supposedly ideal, makes any hard and fast conclusions questionable.

For what it is worth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This way Rusviet can still end up with the Industrial mat, which is something that Jamey told the authors of ScytheKick to prevent.

Also, this is quite a reduction in possible combinations. There are 5040 ways to distribute the mats amongst the factions. The Rusviet variant which is mentioned in the FAQ says to prevent Rusviet from getting the Industrial mat. Such a rule keeps 4320 from those 5020 permutations. The algorithm you're describing here takes out 5032 ways and basically says that out of the 5040 ways to distribute the mats only 8 are balanced. I think that's a bit pessimistic. Is it a good idea to prevent 99.8% of all possible permutations from occurring?

(Not saying you owe me an answer, just trying to provide food for thought.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
This way Rusviet can still end up with the Industrial mat, which is something that Jamey told the authors of ScytheKick to prevent.

Also, this is quite a reduction in possible combinations. There are 5040 ways to distribute the mats amongst the factions. The Rusviet variant which is mentioned in the FAQ says to prevent Rusviet from getting the Industrial mat. Such a rule keeps 4320 from those 5020 permutations. The algorithm you're describing here takes out 5032 ways and basically says that out of the 5040 ways to distribute the mats only 8 are balanced. I think that's a bit pessimistic. Is it a good idea to prevent 99.8% of all possible permutations from occurring?

(Not saying you owe me an answer, just trying to provide food for thought.)
The thinking was that Saxony was considered to be the faction with the greatest challenge so it strives to give Sax a decent starting board. The other suggestions match boards to factions that were assessed to work well with them, leaving the last board for Rusviet (the faction that is generally considered to be among the easiest to do well with). But, yes, it is possible for Rusviet to get board #1 which would swing the balance away from the intended goal. Mind you, Rusviet only has a one-third chance for that to happen (edit note: no, actually less than that as there is a 50% chance of board #1 to even be a possibility and given that it is, only a 50% chance that it will be left for him. So that should make his actual chance only 25% that he will get it). A more brute force approach might be to just give the #1 board to Saxony out of the gate. Nothing else changes until you get to Nordic who now is choosing between board #2 and #5 with the last remaining of those going to Rusviet. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't received my copy of Scythe yet, so I can only speak theoretically. But one of the biggest draws for me is that this game seems to have a ton of replayability because of the different combinations of factions and action mats you can get. Cutting down the combinations by a factor of more than 500 doesn't seem right without substantial justification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.