Chris Puram
United States
Cary
NC
flag msg tools
badge
I hate my stupid username.
mbmbmbmbmb
When selling whale tokens from a ship, do you choose which whales you will sell all at once?

Or can you sell one whale, then after that whale is sold choose whether to put up another whale for sale, and so on? This would make a difference as it could impact whether the players choose to purchase the first whale up for sale or gamble and hold out for another whale that may or may not be offered.

I'm guessing that all must be selected for sale at once but just want to make sure that's the intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Yes, you must select the whales to sell all at once. Effectively, once the ship returns the seller chooses the whales to sell, then goes about his business independently of anyone buying. On the bright side, you can use the sale money immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nat,

Follow up question: The rules state that the money can immediately be used for other whales on the same ship. However, in the next paragraph, it says that the selling player may not repurchase whales they have sold. I'm having a little trouble reconciling these two statements.

Thanks!
Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
The money may be used immediately, but only for the other whales on the ship, not the same ones being sold.
A pair of examples for clarity:
So say you have 2 Bowheads and 2 right whales. You have $9. You can sell 1 right whale for $1, and that gives you $10 for the two bowheads and 1 other right whale.
But let's say you decide to sell one bowhead for $2, in addition to the 1 right for $1, which gives you $12 total. You spend $6 on the remaining right whale and bowhead whale. Nobody else buys the whales you sell, but even though you now have $6 remaining, you may not buy those sold whales back.

So putting it another way, once you put whales up for sale, you can never get the whales back again. But you get that money before you have to finish paying for the other whales on the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
The money may be used immediately, but only for the other whales on the ship, not the same ones being sold.
A pair of examples for clarity:
So say you have 2 Bowheads and 2 right whales. You have $9. You can sell 1 right whale for $1, and that gives you $10 for the two bowheads and 1 other right whale.
But let's say you decide to sell one bowhead for $2, in addition to the 1 right for $1, which gives you $12 total. You spend $6 on the remaining right whale and bowhead whale. Nobody else buys the whales you sell, but even though you now have $6 remaining, you may not buy those sold whales back.

So putting it another way, once you put whales up for sale, you can never get the whales back again. But you get that money before you have to finish paying for the other whales on the ship.

Ah, okay, thanks so much, Nat! That makes sense. I was under the mistaken impression that you had to pay the lay for the whales first, THEN put the remaining up for sale.

(One of my favorite things about BGG...getting rules clarifications from the actual designers, usually within 24 hours!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.