United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the fodder I have thrown together, it was buried in another of my posts but I thought I would give it it's own thread in case it of use to anyone. I've been working out how to add things like foreign objects and such and I have talked to a couple of fans of the game about what they want to see and they have some great ideas. I am not sure what will come of any of it but I would like to create some of the older wrestlers from when I watched wrestling. There are some very creative people around, much more so than myself that I will lend my reverse engineering skills to help out. Obviously any licensed characters will be shot down due to trademarks and copyrights and other tiny symbols that appear near names of things but if I can find a Scotsman figure in a kilt I can modify I am damn sure going to have a Rowdy Roddy Piper in my stable. At this point even a Nada garbed figure would work for me. I am going to do my best to at least help give people the tools to make their own favorites.

My next step is forming archetypes for wrestlers then I want to move onto foreign objects. That should be interesting. Still working out the details on that. If anyone has any input, questions or comments, please pipe up.

Here are the character breakdowns:
Big E:

The Big Show:

Daniel Bryan:

John Cena:

Randy Orton:

Roman Reigns:

Here is a total breakdown of card values, symbols and such for each wrestler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after consulting Wikipedia it turns out that I do not know enough about wrestlers to classify them. I can snag move names and championships and that kind of data but in general that doesn't help as much as one might think. I remember Andre the Giant, he would be similar to the big show, lets say 3 slams, 6 blocks, 4 maneuvers, 10 strikes and 7 grapples. That gives us 30 cards. I can name his three slam cards: Double Underhook Suplex, the Elbow Drop and the Sitdown Splash.

I'm good with giving him 120 points in total.
Corner: 0 (I don't remember him jumping off the ropes much)
Kick Out: 4
Move Points: 30
Power Points: 48
Power Move: 1
Reversal: 3
Stun: 8
Setup Power: 15
Setup Move: 3
Throw: 8

So without naming his moves I threw this together. Also didn't do the special cards, just working on attribute and symbol distribution for his basic deck. I could kick his move up to make a few 2 symbol cards but this felt right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So while Andre the Giant and Big Show are similar in stature, they are not really the same. Without going into great detail, Big Show is more athletic than Andre was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So reducing his move points and maneuver cards it is more accurate? I tried to make him a big hitter with a lot of setup needed to land killer blows.

My thoughts were he can't move a lot, if you can stay away from him or make guerilla attacks and then get away you can survive. If you do not get away he can lay on the pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds about right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, we have a decent first test. I added in a lot of +power cards, it struck me that once he gets a hold of you he keeps the pressure on. Very cool, this is encouraging. I may make a basic print and play to test him out but my nephew is in Florida for another week so my WWE gaming partner I wont see for a few weeks. Time to fire up GIMP and get designing. If I can get the basic deck down and working and seemingly balanced then we have a base for our new dudes. I will most likely work on special cards tonight. I'll do a rough analysis of the cards in each deck, I think it will most likely be as simple as the rest but who knows. Fingers crossed.

So who do I aim for next, I picked a big obvious guy that I know. If anyone wants to chime in, like I said I don;t really know modern wrestlers or who people want to see. It would be helpful if a comparison could be made, such as I'de love to see Rey Mysterio, he would be like Daniel Bryan but with more movement, corner and reversals (I don't know if that is right, but I am just pulling things out of my derriere at this point).

All I know is I am kinda psyched to try out Andre in a match (I'm not so much worried about his specials for testing as that is a whole different ball of wax), he has some killer cards and if they get pulled off right he will be devastating.

[edit: changed am to aim in he second paragraph, that sentence hurt my head rereading it]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
Great job mate, if I can muster up some time I'll work out some card stats for some of the current superstars. However I am no good at doing the card layouts and things like that but could provide the raw data for their cards for someone who can do that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats how a project like this works. I'm good with maths, you provide the wrestling knowledge and hopefully a graphics designer will be bored enough to build cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be talked into making some cards. I'd really like to see this turn into something so I can add some of my favorites.

Edit: I have a stat card mostly made up. It's not a perfect copy, but I'll get it close enough for me to be happy anyway.

This is NOT done by any means, but it'll give you an idea. Everything outside of the blue line is bleed and will be cut off. The dotted red is my "safe" zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
I have done rough card lists for Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and AJ Styles (might change this one a bit though) will post them tomorrow. I am also happy to find the pictures needed for the cards as I know what the moves are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belverker wrote:
I have done rough card lists for Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and AJ Styles (might change this one a bit though) will post them tomorrow. I am also happy to find the pictures needed for the cards as I know what the moves are...
Sweet! After that my next wishes would be Sting, Shawn Michaels and Finn Balor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools

Here are the 3 I have had a rough draft of, I probably need to play around with the amounts of card types (making them more varied between these 3) I will work on Sting, Finn Balor and HBK next. I have not playtested these to see if they play ok though. And I have a note on AJ because I think I need to do more corner moves for him for thematic sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll work on the templates as much as possible. Once I get good templates made making the final cards will be a breeze. It will take some time to replicate some of the graphics and even then some of them will be my best approximations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andre's stat card:

It is not a perfect match. The fonts are different and if anyone really wants to figure out the exact font used by GF9 I will happily change it.

I've started working on the rest of the cards and some of the game icons are going to be difficult to get go quality copies of the original graphics. I may end up with "close enough" being good enough for some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knocked out another one for Dean Ambrose:

Not 100% on the stat numbers on either card. Input is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking it so far. Can't wait to see how they all turn out. I have been hoping that the users here would come up with a few more wrestlers (as I don't have the ability to do so). Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
Oh wow mate, they look very good. I guess I better look for pictures to use for the move cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is my first pass at the move cards. The icons are going to be an issue as the only really decent quality one I could pull from any source was the kick out.

Input is welcomed. What would you change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is fantastic. I was going to make some text heavy cards for testing purposes but that running clothesline is dynamic, we'll have to get the icons and the icon could be bigger, but thats it. Looks gorgeous. Wow. Y'all are getting this flowing.

If I can be of any more help on the back end let me know.

[edit: I can start doing the comparisons of their super cards, thats what I can do on the back end. Find the pattern.]

[edit 2: Belverker, your decks look fun to play, I trust that you know the wrestler and they will capture the field. Great work.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
Cheers mate, Dean Ambrose (the first one) is the one I am most happy with. The other two i will give another pass. I have also started on Sting HBK and Finn Balor (Finn has been moved up in priority after his injury this week :'( pretty sad for him)

The card design looks great. Would proving a high quality scan of all the symbols help you out?

I have also managed to pull together the pictures I think got Dean Ambroses cards. I might be forced to screen capture images from video clips for some of the others had a big issue finding decent pictures. I have also been looking for images to use as standees for the new wrestlers and will also start working out what move names to use for the Andre The Giant card list you put together Reed.

Have you had a chance to playtest him yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to try him out, work has been loopy and my nephew has been doing the summer vacation thing so I haven't seen him as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belverker wrote:
The card design looks great. Would proving a high quality scan of all the symbols help you out?
That would be exceedingly helpful. I had planned to do that, but I won't get access to the scanner for another week or two. I still may end up doing them all over from scratch, but having a nice quality source would make it a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still working on this, but I did take a short vacation so give me a couple days and I should have the template for the move cards done. I did end up making new icons from scratch. I have (I think) three more to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools

Finn Balor

Roddy Piper

Sting

These will probably be the last ones I do for now until I can test them to make sure there is nothing obviously wrong with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great as well. I don't know when I will be able to test, but I will get symbol cards mocked up before I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.