Dave Roderick
United Kingdom
Westward Ho!
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have just been chatting to a friend that has access to a chalet/caravan site with a large indoor hall/bar. They run a few weekend events during the off season. Vintage car rally, Line dancing and western weekends etc.

I was chatting about the UK boardgame scene and started wondering if there was interest in a weekend event in Devon through the winter?

I know there are a few small groups across the county but was thinking this would be something that could be made into a bit of a weekend break for those of you further afield.

So the questions are:

Would people be interested?
would people travel?
when are good times to do it? (I had thought Nov-Jan, but aware that budgets get tight around Xmas.)

Any thoughts and opinions gratefully recieved.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you perceptively pointed out, budget would be my primary concern. Other than that, I think it's a great idea and, from a personal point of view, I could build it in as part of an extended trip to see friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Devonian gamer I would happily roll up to a gaming event in the county!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver MacFarlane
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have parents in Teignmouth I would be interested in an event in Devon depending where in Devon it was.

I think January is probably not the best idea as there are two gaming cons in January now (Stabcon and HandyCon).

November would be good just avoid clashing with Midcon.

December may have the problem of people travelling and visiting people for Christmas time.

Have you spoken to any of the other Con organisers? Baycon is held near Exeter every March so may be good to speak to them.

On people travelling, I would say definitely yes as lots of people travel a good distance to going to Gaming cons at the moment to such wondrous places as Stockport, Leicester and Derby which when I last checked were not holiday destinations

Were you thinking of purely a gaming event or other activities going on as well? How many people were you thinking for the event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Me
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Easy Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We might be interested - again around Teignmouth. Any more info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roderick
United Kingdom
Westward Ho!
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmb
It would be in the Bideford area so way up near the North Coast of Devon.

Will see what he sayd for a November date, and yes well worthwhile chatting to the Baycon guys. Just wanted to see if it was a sensible idea before getting too carried away with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good chance you'd get a few of the Taunton gamers interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in coming over from Wales, assuming I'm available which ever weekend it is.

It's a great idea, thanks for the open invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Franks
United Kingdom
St Blazey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea. Would be interested but would depend on cost - some of those chalet things are very expensive to hire for the weekend, even out of season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:

Something to do while sheltering from the incessant rain, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:

+1.. Would be interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As always it would be dependant upon dates for me but I would be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Subscribed, hoping to hear more. A few of my regular gaming buddies have also expressed interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 interested here, too. Could also likely get a few buddies down from elsewhere to participate at the same time as a Devonian visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.