Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Don't mind me, just hype over here. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Benavidez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to express my gratitude to FFG for putting out this second edition to a beautiful but flawed game.

I can't be the only one that held on to their MoM boxes because of the ambition the game represented and the sheer glory of, "when the game works, it really works". To me, this game was everything I was hoping for when I was sorely disappointed by House on Haunted Hill. I wanted something meatier. It turns out that I got more than I bargained with in MoM. It was just a little too bloated, and the setup was a nightmare at times.

Yet, I still held on to those boxes, for what, 6 years now or something? I just wanted to express my hype that FFG is releasing this, with that nifty conversion kit for the diehards. I have full faith that this new app driven version will be awesome, if X-Com is any indication which I absolutely adore (X-Com 2 expansion when?). Count me in the camp that is all for necessary app integration in board games. It cut out so much un needed clutter on the game board and really made that game streamlined. I have faith FFG can kill the fiddlyness of MoM 1st Ed. and keep the wonderful storytelling gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm hoping I'm not the only one that finally dropped the full MSRP cost and bought Mansions of Madness 1st edition earlier this week. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find it at my local Barnes and Noble since it is utterly sold out everywhere online. I always really wanted it before, but the fact that it plays best with 5 people (and I rarely have more than 2 players tops) kept me from ever getting it.

Once the 2nd edition was announced, however, and it boasted that you could use all the investigators, monsters, and map tiles from the first, I knew I had to get it! Hopefully I'll someday get to play the original game with lots of players (and I intend to try it with just 2 anyways) but for now I am happily painting all these new miniatures and super excited for the 2nd edition to drop to try it all out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benavidez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah man! just think of it like you bought a pre-release expansion. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitch87 wrote:
Prexpansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Glitch87 wrote:
Prexpansion?

With some of FFG's release schedules for expansions, I wouldn't be surprised if for some games they start releasing the expansions before the base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlson311007 wrote:
I always really wanted it before, but the fact that it plays best with 5 people (and I rarely have more than 2 players tops) kept me from ever getting it.

For what it's worth, I've only ever played MoM with 2p. It quickly became one of my wife and my favorite games. I always play the Keeper and she will take 3-4 investigators. Some hate playing this way because they want to only identify and role play a single character, but honestly, we've never been bothered by it. There are so few actions any single character can do, that it is entirely reasonable for one person to control multiple investigators. MoM v2 obviously renders all of thus mute, but if you do give MoM v1 rules a play, don't be dissuaded from trying it with just 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the input. Personally, I love playing multiple investigators when I play Eldritch Horror. I know that I will almost certainly always have to play the role of Keeper as well. I'm looking forward to trying it out for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds familiar. As I said previously, I always play the Keeper as well. And honestly? I loved it. Many complain about this game because it is occasionally unbalanced - frequently favoring the Keeper. And while this is true, I think the true art of being the Keeper is taking control of the pace of the game and instead of steamrolling the investigators, needling them and pestering them. I also go one step further and make paper props for the story introduction to really let my wife be immersed in the backstory before we embark. (I've uploaded some of these as PDFs in the MoM v.1 pages if you'd like any). It's just great fun.

Despite my excitement of MoM v. 2 - I fully anticipate continuing to play v.1 occasionally as well. We have all of the v.1 expansions but have yet to play through Call of the Wild which seems to be where MoM v.1 really hits its stride (according to the true veterans) - so we want to experience that. I'm just really impressed with FFG in creating a second edition that allows utilization of all of v.1 parts while simultaneously letting us explore the automated Keeper or reverting back to the old school method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benavidez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The way I played Keeper, I always needled and pestered but never shut them down.... UNTIL THE VERY END devil. All hell would rain down on the investigators when the mission objective revealed itself. If they were going to win, they needed to pull out a miracle because to me a cthulu themed game is about struggling versus hopeless odds and just maybe coming out on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitch87 wrote:
The way I played Keeper, I always needled and pestered but never shut them down.... UNTIL THE VERY END devil. All hell would rain down on the investigators when the mission objective revealed itself. If they were going to win, they needed to pull out a miracle because to me a cthulu themed game is about struggling versus hopeless odds and just maybe coming out on top.

It definitely IS... but some players don't take too keenly to a suddenly appearing Dunwich Horror, or three back-to-back turns of forcing the investigators to run AWAY from their objective as poltergeists turn the lights off, throw paintings at them in the dark, and lock the doors to the final objective just as they finally reach it. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if 2E will shorten the playtime any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benavidez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wonder if 2nd Ed will still have the issue where the board can get cluttered in a small area with big figures, especially when you have a giant monster on the field. monsters hanging slanted off of other monsters bases always looked a little silly when you swarmed with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Karlson311007 wrote:
And I'm hoping I'm not the only one that finally dropped the full MSRP cost and bought Mansions of Madness 1st edition earlier this week. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find it at my local Barnes and Noble since it is utterly sold out everywhere online. I always really wanted it before, but the fact that it plays best with 5 people (and I rarely have more than 2 players tops) kept me from ever getting it.

Once the 2nd edition was announced, however, and it boasted that you could use all the investigators, monsters, and map tiles from the first, I knew I had to get it! Hopefully I'll someday get to play the original game with lots of players (and I intend to try it with just 2 anyways) but for now I am happily painting all these new miniatures and super excited for the 2nd edition to drop to try it all out!

I went one step further and bought the two big box expansions as well. I may have gone a bit overboard, but my wife and I love Descent with the Road to Legend app, so we are very excited to play 2nd edition coop - and to paint all the miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexaphim wrote:
Karlson311007 wrote:

I went one step further and bought the two big box expansions as well. I may have gone a bit overboard, but my wife and I love Descent with the Road to Legend app, so we are very excited to play 2nd edition coop - and to paint all the miniatures!

I wish I was able to paint them, but I haven't a clue how and I don't want to make them ugly. :/ Anyone know a very easy/cheap way to learn how to paint minis? Something that explains how to base coat/detail and which kinds of paint to use on what kinds of minis? I would be a complete beginner. Any clue where I could get some cheap practice minis made from the same material as the mansions ones to practice on?

(sorry if this is off-topic; if you don't want to clutter this topic, if you could just PM me any info you might have on this issue, that'd be great. I have so many MoM minis and the grey is a bit ... well.. boring).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

I wish I was able to paint them, but I haven't a clue how and I don't want to make them ugly. :/ Anyone know a very easy/cheap way to learn how to paint minis? Something that explains how to base coat/detail and which kinds of paint to use on what kinds of minis? I would be a complete beginner. Any clue where I could get some cheap practice minis made from the same material as the mansions ones to practice on?

(sorry if this is off-topic; if you don't want to clutter this topic, if you could just PM me any info you might have on this issue, that'd be great. I have so many MoM minis and the grey is a bit ... well.. boring).

Watch Sorastro's videos for painting Imperial Assault. It's a different IP, sure, but I think he does a good job breaking it down step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
soakman wrote:

There's a great intro here from a series that covers the Call of Wild Miniatures: http://www.orderofgamers.com/mansions-of-madness-painting/

The monsters are actually great minis to paint for beginners because you can't really screw them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th of August can't come fast enough. I wonder how long it will take to ship into Ukraine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mitic
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
These are awesome tutorials, Universal Head is a god amongst men

Deano2099 wrote:
soakman wrote:

There's a great intro here from a series that covers the Call of Wild Miniatures: http://www.orderofgamers.com/mansions-of-madness-painting/

The monsters are actually great minis to paint for beginners because you can't really screw them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Universal Head would be a god among gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.