Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomo wrote:
nightmare deck opinion... buy collected or pass ?thanks

I passed on them. The game gives me enough challenge to where the extra money (and space) for these just doesn't appeal to me. I currently own everything released except for half a dozen print on demand decks. I have half of a 3200 card box full of the encounter cards and five binders separated by sphere. That's enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've 'accidentally' acquired two nightmare decks. I've added them to my collection but not tried playing either as I have enough challenge with the basic decks currently. Maybe, if I ever catch up with the current release schedule I'll give them a go ... unlikely at my current pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first two nightmare decks, and honestly they're pretty brutal. Particularly the Journey along the Anduin one - a location with 10 threat and 10 progress is quite deadly. This spike in difficulty is the main reason why I haven't bought more nightmare decks (after all, I already play in a kind of easy mode; I don't really need more difficulty).

On the other hand, some nightmare decks are said to do much to improve the theme of the quest, and I am drawn to those. Basically, I'd say go read the Tales from the Cards nightmare buying guide and see whether any of the decks appeal to you. But you probably don't need to buy all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them. I'd say if you do relatively good at the normal quests and/or like a harsh challenge they are worth it.

I'd say my group holds about a 65+% win rate on the normal quests. We all grew up playing card games like Magic since forever so we are pretty good at this. So to up the challenge for us I like adding them.

But a word of caution; they are brutal. You really have to be on top of your game and have solid decks together to stand a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like them. My wallet is the only thing that disagrees with them, but apparently not enough...since I own all of them (except for the most recently released ones).

I have played only a handful of Nightmare scenarios with 3+ players. I could imagine quite a few scenarios being brutal in Nightmare with 3+ players. With two players, I've found that they are quite manageable. My friend doesn't enjoy them as much as I do, but he plays them because he knows I like it.

It might be too difficult if you don't consider yourself an avid deck-builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really really want a challenge, go for it. I have all of the first Nightmare cycle and playing that with more recent cards/decks (Elrond/Gandalf combo, Tactigorn) was actually difficult which was really fun.

If you only play solo, I don't know if I would recommend them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan b
msg tools
thank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put Nightmare decks on my "maybe whenever" list. I want to finish the rest of the collection, and only when FFG finally decide to end the game will I consider it. I'm banking on their promise to keep printing as long as there's interest here, of course, but if I don't get all the Nightmare decks I'll still have a vast collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've bought a couple, but some are just brutally difficult while the base game can be difficult enough at times.

i think i'm still playing through the base game (+ gencon/fellowship quests) that it'll be a while till i feel it necessary to full on upgrade to nightmare

i'd really like Passage Through Mirkwood though, as it's clearly a beginner quest, and one that rather quickly became trivial, but it's difficult to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also depend on what motivates you. I'm no genius with the game so the increased difficulty does nothing for me, but I am always entertaining completing the collection just for the new art. And to witness the brutality once or twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.