Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

TURN 1:
oppo draws SCOUT+SCOUT+VIPER and buys an EXPLORER

TURN 2:
in the picture: what would you do in that situation?

my thought:
- I could buy IMPERIAL TRADE, but on my next turn I'm drawing only 3 SCOUT and so opponent would be buying FRIGHTER + STARMARKET back-to-back. I think it's suicide.
- now, FRIGHTER or STARMARKET?

I've alredy took my decision, but I'm curious to know your ideas
(I'll let you know where my decision takes me)

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I would do (not the best player, but would call myself a "good" player).

Starmarket now.
Your opponent now has the choice, take the freighter (ensuring a trade lead, but that's about it), leaving you the blob wheel (exactly what you want if you take the starmarket).
The problem is that they know you only have 3 next turn and they can take the wheel, ignoring a few other cards. But this means that the "better" cards miss their first shuffle.

Keep in mind, all of this logic can change drastically depending on what comes up after cards start getting purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starmarket. And Carnie is a great player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, I did the exactly the same.
(it's a game valid for Legend Series from the FB SR page... so I'm posting the progression only AFTER 2 o 3 rounds have taken place, as I guess JHusbner is reading ).

Now, second deck, first draw:
BLOB WHEEL unluckily comes out before STARMARKET: would you scrap it to buy CONSTRUCTION HAULER?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GThreepwood wrote:
would you scrap it to buy CONSTRUCTION HAULER?

I probably would. It's a good card on it's own and also forced your opponent to consider the starmarket when they have enough combat. Normally, a starmarket as the lone base is something to ignore, but it would provide faction for the hauler, which then combos back into the starmarket, giving them a VERY bad time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah the 'fun' of B1, where bases need to be approached like scrap is handled in V.

Yep, probably StarMarket, with an eye to the wheel and then the barge. A nice trio your opponent can't ignore.

Of course, what flips (and your opponents read of the situation) will change this. But, you can also hope for things popping after the starmarket like a fed shuttle, trade bot (or maybe even a trade raft in this situation). Plus hoping for other things popping after his buy.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
Primum Non Nocere
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooo...the winner of this round plays me. I think I'll subscribe to this intel haha

That first choice was tough. I initially thought imperial trader but after thinking about it for a little bit, I agree on the starmarket.

GL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost G2.
Construction Hauler's been pretty useless: I had the chance of activate its ally ability twice; first time there were no bases on the trade row, then the second JHusbner barely destroyed Star market and avoided a big combo.

But I'm sure the two moves at the beginning were ok!
I really love this analysis thread and I'd like to read some other similar

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big combo just pulled out in G3: Construction Hauler into Brain World into Mega Mech into Brain Worl... Power scrap!

But it ain't over yet at all!
DocBach, I hope I can join you in the quarter final
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
kamarainen wrote:

Ah the 'fun' of B1, where bases need to be approached like scrap is handled in V.

What does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
kamarainen wrote:

What does this mean?

I'm not sure if you're asking about the abbreviations I used, or the impact to strategy which I referred to. So, I'm sorry if I over-explain here.

In 'V'anilla format, where it's just the core set of cards, scrap is an ability that almost always helps. In fact, this when scrap cards appear in the first 2 decks, it usually should be strongly considered when choosing which card to buy.

In both the 'B'ases and Battleships expansion, as well as the Year '1' Promo part of the of the Gambit expansion, bases and ships related to bases are strongly featured. I would say that they are such a strong core theme to those expansions, that they tilt most (all?) other strategies into factoring in bases. So, like in Vanilla where scrap helps almost always, bases play a similar important role when playing with B1.

All of this just my opinion, but if that helps provide some insight to others, then cool. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
***BREAKING NEWS***

JHUSBNER HAS CONCEDED!!!

That awesome combo was too much for him
Even if I don't think it's fair to leave ground like this...

Anyway, incredible I'm in the quarter finals!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocBach wrote:
Ooooo...the winner of this round plays me. I think I'll subscribe to this intel haha

@DocBach
Do you mind if we wait until monday morning before kicking off our match?
I'll be hyper-busy the whole weekend...

I'm also asking on the FB page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
Primum Non Nocere
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually going to be away from August 1-12. So we could maybe just delay it until then? I'll check with the admins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Starmarket.

I didn't read this very closely. I would have taken the Imperial Trader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.