Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd edition has a lot of tiles compared to 1st rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
So the base 2nd edition box comes with 24 double sided tiles.

Streets and alleyways will be included in addition to the usual mansiony tiles.

Does anyone remember how many 1st edition came with? I was thinking about that because it seemed like a lot more than we got with 1st edition, so I did some homework.

Base set: 15 tiles
Forbidden Alchemy: 6 tiles
Call of the Wild: 11 tiles

Total: 32 tiles.

We are getting a lot of tiles folks.

Grand total 56 if you have all the 1st edition tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I hadn't looked at the numbers, but this mean there should be a lot of variety (and I have all of 1E's expansions, so yay for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Nice indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Is it 24 double-sided tiles though, or 24 tiles counting both sides? (ie, 12 physical tiles) If it's 24 double-side tiles that obviously makes 48 different rooms: a pretty staggering amount... and thus a little dubious to me, especially if they're avoiding too many duplicates from 1st edition.

I'm also curious just how a lot of the tiles can be randomly incorporated into second edition. For instance, all of the outdoors tiles in Call of the Wild. You can't just randomly insert them into a 'mansion'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Curro
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any posts discussing this little nugget from the first preview article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
through the dark and desolate halls and alleyways of Arkham

Makes it sound like we'll be getting some cityscape tiles. Ooooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
TalonMC wrote:
I haven't seen any posts discussing this little nugget from the first preview article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
through the dark and desolate halls and alleyways of Arkham

Makes it sound like we'll be getting some cityscape tiles. Ooooo!

I noticed at least 1 tile that looked like a cobbled street, but in the image I saw it looked like just a starting tile leading into the building. I agree it would be cool and could account for the apparently large number of tiles.

The 1st edition outdoors ones though... I just don't see how they can integrate. I can't imagine the scenarios are vague enough that they can take place outdoors or indoors... and if they are, that's not a good thing to my mind. It makes the whole thing sound like more of a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Well, the latest preview confirms 24 double sided tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one way, I guess the larger number of tiles helps (in a small way) to make up for the various keeper-related components that are no longer included, as far as justifying the price.

But mostly, I imagine they're thinking ahead enough that if they want to sell any add-on digital-only content, the variety needs to be present in the base game to support it. Not that they can't release downloadable scenarios which may rely on future boxed content (or additional stuff that can happen if you tell the app you own them), just that I imagine they'd want to ensure as much as possible it can work with just the base set, otherwise they're limiting their audience.

Regardless, it's good to see there are so many double-sided tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Pudsy wrote:
In one way, I guess the larger number of tiles helps (in a small way) to make up for the various keeper-related components that are no longer included, as far as justifying the price.

But mostly, I imagine they're thinking ahead enough that if they want to sell any add-on digital-only content, the variety needs to be present in the base game to support it. Not that they can't release downloadable scenarios which may rely on future boxed content (or additional stuff that can happen if you tell the app you own them), just that I imagine they'd want to ensure as much as possible it can work with just the base set, otherwise they're limiting their audience.

Regardless, it's good to see there are so many double-sided tiles

It's FFG, we're gonna see physical expansions with more investigators, monsters, and tiles.

However I agree with you that they are setting themselves up to have a lot of material to support In app scenario purchases (2nd editions version of PoDs).

I'm excited to see where all this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.