United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

If you've either read the rules for Pet Shop or actually played the game "thanks by the way", I would love to hear from you whether it would be better to use actual money components or just a simple money tracking chart.

The reason I ask is I really want to get this game published one way or another and to do that one of the requirements is to finalize a component list. Right now Pet Shop uses a currency 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, and 50; with each denomination covered by a certain amount of cards. These cards add to the component list and the manufacturing cost. If I were to change the game play to the money tracking system, I may be able to fit the chart onto the game board. This chart would use [3] cubes or tokens that would represent 1’s, 10’s, and 100’s, and you would place the cubes on the values associated with the currency you have in hand.

Now I know using actual money is cool and you can see, feel and evaluate what you have immediately by the amount of money sitting in front of you BUT it also takes up space, it cost extra money to produce and it adds more components to the game.

With a money tracking chart you only have to use some tokens, they fit in a small space and they change the cost significantly but they also can get knocked around causing you to lose your current total and it doesn’t feel like you’re using real money during game play.

So, I’m reaching out to the gaming community to help with decide on what to do with the currency in the game. Should I keep the actual money component or change to a money tracking system?

You opinion is valuable to me and I would really love to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance for all your help with this decision.

Sincerely,

Joe P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, but I'd prefer a money track. I like money in multiplayer games but to me it just adds an extra layer of fiddliness in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdlly wrote:
I haven't played yet, but I'd prefer a money track. I like money in multiplayer games but to me it just adds an extra layer of fiddliness in a solo game.

Exactly! I see the use in multi player games "which people have asked if I can make Pet Shop multi player but that's another discussion", but in a solo game having less components and pieces that are fiddly is better in the long run.

One questions regarding a money chart/track is do you have it on the main game board where things are getting moved around constantly and the possibility of the money tracking cubes getting knocked OR do you make it a separate card component that sits off to the side and is just represented by a new card or mat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone with two cats there's always the possibility of cubes getting moved around no matter what

However, I think I would prefer a separate card or mat, especially since you already have the calendar running around the outside of the board. I think adding a money track somewhere would just make the board look too busy, and I really like the look of the board as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes on a separate board are most streamlined options or even a small set of three dials like the dials in the Lord of the Rings card game. Money options would be a good Kickstarter goal. I do agree that having something representing capital/money is substantial to the visual/tactile feel of the game and without money to play with it edges it towards the cube pusher category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci Weiland
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a several months ago and I used some mini poker chips just because I wanted to save on ink after printing out the other cards. The money did get used a lot so I think the money track would be a great idea. Since it is a solo game, I don't think I'd miss playing with the money. Like you already mentioned, just make sure the money tracking components are heavy so they don't slide off the track easily. (My bracelets or shirt sleeves have been known to knock those light wooden cubes right off the scoring tracks. cry)

I do really like your art for the money cards though. It would be nice to be able to order them from Printers Studio or Arts Cow to use with other games.

Good luck getting the game published!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be one possibility of adding a money track to the game board.

Any thoughts, comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, I think it fits in really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.