Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: #1 Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: clydeiii_complaining_about_pandemic [+] ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching Scythe climb the BGG top 100, ascending nearly every day. There is no question this is a superb game in every category that can make a game a #1. My question is do we think it has the stuff to be the #1 game? I believe it does. What do others think and why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.

So true. So do you think it has the stuff to stand the test of time?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.

So true. So do you think it has the stuff to stand the test of time?


This, and yes I think it does. I'm not sure it will make it that high, though personally I'd love to see Scythe unseat the current #1 (which I have zero interest in).
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as i love this game. I dont' think it will hit #1. I think the hardcore euro players and hardcore thematic people wont love this game as much. Pandemic legacy has very very wide appeal and popularity. I do think it has the possibility of hitting top 5 probably not #1. However if i am wrong i wouldn't be upset at all. Its a fantastic game and the best components i have every seen in a game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I honestly think the game will settle somewhere in the top 25, but it's harder to say if it'll break the top 10.

Top 25 is quite an accomplishment, and a lot of very good games never make it there.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t think it will hit #1, but top 10 is very likelly.

Scythe has:
Geek Rating Avg Rating Num Voters
7.609 8.51 2290

Pandemic has:
Geek Rating Avg Rating Num Voters
8.386 8.64 10144

So, Scythe only need more votes to climbing in the ranks, but it´s not enough to overthrow the #1, and keep in mind that the Avg Rating of Scythe is droping a little.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Rutherford
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, only time will tell, of course.. But it does seem likely to go high. Maybe after it reaches stores, when more people can play it and vote on it. But I suspect we will be seeing some shifts in the next while, with our top 100 list starting something like..

1. Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
2. Scythe
3. Twilight Struggle
4. Terra Mystica
5. Caverna
.
.
.

Which tells me.. If you're releasing a new game, make sure it's title starts with 'T'.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
As much as i love this game. I dont' think it will hit #1. I think the hardcore euro players and hardcore thematic people wont love this game as much. Pandemic legacy has very very wide appeal and popularity. I do think it has the possibility of hitting top 5 probably not #1. However if i am wrong i wouldn't be upset at all. Its a fantastic game and the best components i have every seen in a game.


I do exactly echo your thoughts about why it may not unseat PL. But I'd like to think that the hybrid of euro and ameri game found in Scythe will appeal to a larger player base as well. As to whether this will be a strong enough format to give it #1 status, that's where the test of time becomes the relevant issue IMO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.


Well, this is definitely not the case in reality.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JRufu wrote:
Yea, only time will tell, of course.. But it does seem likely to go high. Maybe after it reaches stores, when more people can play it and vote on it. But I suspect we will be seeing some shifts in the next while, with our top 100 list starting something like..

1. Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
2. Scythe
3. Twilight Struggle
4. Terra Mystica
5. Caverna
.
.
.

Which tells me.. If you're releasing a new game, make sure it's title starts with 'T'.


I think this list is missing the next 4 seasons of PL.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With its current average rating, there is no way that it hits number one. Pandemic Legacy had a rating of 8.9 when it had a similar number of ratings (vs Scythe's 8.5). Even now, Pandemic Legacy has a rating of 8.64.

The current #3 game, the new Through the Ages, had an average rating of 9.0 when it had a similar number of ratings.

Scythe is going to do great, but it's just not on the same trajectory as those top tier games...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it will be #1, and honestly the BGG rating system is pointless. Pandemic is only number cos people wanted to de-throne twilight struggle. My personal opinion of the number one game, should be one that is accessible to many people, ie cost, theme, ease of play, time to play, also have great artwork and be innovation. Scythe has some of these, but it's not innovative nor is it as accessible as others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.


Well, this is definitely not the case in reality.


Seconded.

Pandemic legacy is a shining example of the cult of the new. It's a good game, but fantastic and worthy of number one spot?.
I definately don't think so.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.


Well, this is definitely not the case in reality.

Agreed, Michael.
Especially since the current #1 CANNOT stand the test of time by design.
(I absolutely loved my run-through of Pandemic Legacy, BTW.)

But Scythe? I've played it six times and am looking forward to playing many more times, but I don't think it's the best game ever. Very good game, looks great, cleverly designed and fun to play -- all of the above. But it wasn't a revelation when I first played it. It didn't completely knock me out the way -- yes -- Twilight Struggle did, or Agricola.

Does it deserve to be in the "top X"? Hell yes. But to me, it's another very good game in a crowd of very good games. That's not enough to propel them to the very top.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
unonameless wrote:
I think a game has to stand the test of time to be #1.


Well, this is definitely not the case in reality.


Seconded.

Pandemic legacy is a shining example of the cult of the new. It's a good game, but fantastic and worthy of number one spot?.
I definately don't think so.


and a shining example of can't stand the test of time due to limited play nature.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it. What Pandemic Legacy accomplished several months ago was no doubt remarkable. But it's meteoric rise was a product of two factors. First, Pandemic is arguably the definitive cooperative game, and of course, that popularity was attached to a very well-liked legacy system.

Before Pandemic, there were only the greats, such as:

-T&E
-Puerto Rico
-Agricola
-Twilight Struggle

These games consistently appear in the hotness, despite their age. They've seen reprints, some have seen highly sought after anniversary editions, and all of them, besides Pandemic Legacy (although Pandemic does), have mobile apps. Another thing to consider is originality. Scythe seems to borrow mechanics from several different games, turning them into what most see as a rich stew and some see as a hot mess. Either way, Scythe is far from original.

I think Scythe is more than a flash in the pan, but I suspect it's popularity will begin to wane within the next six months. I've never seen so much hype for one game. Once that hype and "newness" fades, so will most claims of it being the best game ever.

Bottom line: Scythe is the quintessential over-hyped, and by consequence--overrated game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pandemic legacy had the advantage of going through the whole life cycle of the game in a very quick time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages (A new story) has the same thing as TS most people that won't like it won't try it due to its long play time and complexity. Those that are more predisposed to liking it will put the investment in to play it and then like it. Scythe having a lower barrier to entry will mean more people on the fence are willing to give it a try. Hence giving it potentially more diverse ratings.

Personally i think TTA is ok but a very dry and mechanical version of the CIV genre. However it has its die hard fans for sure. Giving it its high rating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Pandemic is only number cos people wanted to de-throne twilight struggle.
That's just not true. Your other points are valid enough, but people (like myself) genuinely love the game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
gecko1919 wrote:
As much as i love this game. I dont' think it will hit #1. I think the hardcore euro players and hardcore thematic people wont love this game as much. Pandemic legacy has very very wide appeal and popularity. I do think it has the possibility of hitting top 5 probably not #1. However if i am wrong i wouldn't be upset at all. Its a fantastic game and the best components i have every seen in a game.


I do exactly echo your thoughts about why it may not unseat PL. But I'd like to think that the hybrid of euro and ameri game found in Scythe will appeal to a larger player base as well.


I see it differently. If you're a Eurogamer, Scythe has been done before, many times over. If you're an Ameritrash gamer, Scythe is simply a disappointment. I'd say Scythe is 90% Euro and 10% Ameritrash (largely because the combat is so weak). It's definitely not a 50/50 hybrid, which I was sort of expecting. Of course, this does not currently reflect majority opinion, but I think it is starting to trend in that direction.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
Through the Ages (A new story) has the same thing as TS most people that won't like it won't try it due to its long play time and complexity. Those that are more predisposed to liking it will put the investment in to play it and then like it. Scythe having a lower barrier to entry will mean more people on the fence are willing to give it a try. Hence giving it potentially more diverse ratings.

Personally i think TTA is ok but a very dry and mechanical version of the CIV genre. However it has its die hard fans for sure. Giving it its high rating.


Well, A new story of civ has an advantage of sampling bias. Most people who tried the original and didn't like it won't bother with the new version. Because of this they won't rate it. So many people who play the new version already liked the old version and are likely to enjoy the new version as well.

Pandemic legacy has a simpler sampling bias.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. It should be in the top 100.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
I don't think so. It should be in the top 100.
It's already broken the Top 50. I can absolutely see it breaking T25 and maybe even T10, but I don't think it will hit #1.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Matt62702 wrote:

Bottom line: Scythe is the quintessential over-hyped, and by consequence--overrated game.


I think the word hyped gets thrown around a lot here without people really understanding what it actually means. The OED definition is:

Quote:
"Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits."


Which I would argue was not the case with Scythe. What happened here was that many people were entranced by the art and that combined with Stonemaier's reputation led them to back the KS and highly anticipate the game. For me, that is not Hype at all.
One important point to keep in mind is that Jamey Stegmaier didn't do more publicizing and publicizing than most companies do for their games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.