Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the next several months I will be doing final edits on the rule book.
Post any topics that need clarification here.

Thank you,
Bill Pitcher
Editor
Fallen Dominion Studios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Update the "whats in the box" for the summary of a round reference card.
- I commented on the KS, when a skill test is done with a Skill base + Skill bonus is equal to 10 (the rulebook refers only when higher or less).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funkyboy
- Update the "whats in the box" for the summary of a round reference card.

Excellent catch! We are still laying out the round reference card. Once it is complete we will include an image in the inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyboy wrote:
- I commented on the KS, when a skill test is done with a Skill base + Skill bonus is equal to 10 (the rulebook refers only when higher or less).

It seems like the rulebook should say "at least 10" instead of "greater than 10", when talking about getting a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I commented on the KS, when a skill test is done with a Skill base + Skill bonus is equal to 10 (the rule book refers only when higher or less). -- FunkyBoy

Another excellent point. The short answer is a 9 and 10 are functionally the same. The only way to fail either of the these skill checks is by rolling a 10 which is an auto-fail. The really question is if you roll a 1 and your base skill is a 10 do you get two successes? The answer is no, but you still get to re-roll for a chance at another success just like if you had a 9.

When I am equipping my characters I try and get their skills to 8 or 9. If my equipment would put one of my skills above 10 I try to add more equipment to push it to 14 avoiding 10-12 range. The 9-12 range usually just yields one success. When I get closer to 14 I start hitting that second success more consistently.

Here is the most recently unpublished edited version. I will add some
to help explain it better.

Skill Check Dice Rules

More than one may apply.

1.) If the Total Skill is less than or equal to 10, it is the Target Number.

2.) When the Total Skill is greater than 10, it counts as one Success. Additional Successes are received at increments of 10; two at 20, three at 30 etc... The remainder becomes the Target Number. For example, a 25 is two Successes and the Target Number is 5. A d10 die with a 5 or less is needed to receive a third Success.

3.) A d10 die roll greater than the Target Number is not a success. Players still receive their previous Successes from that Character or Vehicle (unless rule 5 applies).

4.) Rolling a “1” is always a Success and may be re-rolled by players for a chance at another Success. The Player may continue to roll until a non “1” is rolled. Players choosing to re-roll a “1” must do so immediately, before moving on to calculate the Success or Failure for the next Character Crown.

5.) A “10” is always a Failure and negates all Successes provided by that Character or Vehicle for the Skill Check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bergdall
msg tools
I was a bit confused by movement example 1 on page 30 of the rulebook. I fully admit I may be missing something.

The issues I'm seeing is that it appears that there's some radiation on that last resource hex, which would make that hex cost 3 to enter. The party should have 2 movement left, which would make them unable to enter that hex. If there's not supposed to be radiation in that square, then it's not an issue. However, the example, does mention not needing to spend all of their movement. Is there a rule that makes resource hexes otherwise ignore terrain?

Sorry if I'm overlooking something and needlessly complicating the situation by overthinking this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

I just reread the example you mentioned and I have made a note to clean it up.

First if you don't use all your movement you loose it. So you can't move do an encounter and use the rest of your movement.

Second multi-terrain hexes are hexes with multiple terrain types in the same hex like mountains, plains and a city all in the same hex. In this case the movement cost to move into the hex is 3. If a hex has Plains and Mountains it cost 2 movement.

Third if you don't have enough movement to move into a hex and you have at least 1 movement left you can spend the remainder to enter that hex. For example if you have 2 movement left you can spend all of it to enter into a city hex, even though you are one short. This allows you to move at least one hex during the move deed.

Fourth NPCMs, some character abilities and some vehicles allow a party to move ignoring terrain. Simply put it reduces all hex movements to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bergdall
msg tools
Thanks, that does clear up my confusion. I would note that every instance I found in the rule book seemed to state that you can move into any hex if you have 1 movement left, rather than "at least one movement".

I also have concern there may be some spaces that are somewhat ambiguous if there are supposed to be a particular terrain there. For example, the hexes northwest of location 90 and 63. Map elements might need to be adjusted for the sake of clarification.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful. This game looks very interesting and looking forward to the opportunity to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CuTop wrote:
I commented on the KS, when a skill test is done with a Skill base + Skill bonus is equal to 10 (the rule book refers only when higher or less). -- FunkyBoy

Another excellent point. The short answer is a 9 and 10 are functionally the same. The only way to fail either of the these skill checks is by rolling a 10 which is an auto-fail. The really question is if you roll a 1 and your base skill is a 10 do you get two successes? The answer is no, but you still get to re-roll for a chance at another success just like if you had a 9.

When I am equipping my characters I try and get their skills to 8 or 9. If my equipment would put one of my skills above 10 I try to add more equipment to push it to 14 avoiding 10-12 range. The 9-12 range usually just yields one success. When I get closer to 14 I start hitting that second success more consistently.

Here is the most recently unpublished edited version. I will add some
to help explain it better.

Skill Check Dice Rules

More than one may apply.

1.) If the Total Skill is less than or equal to 10, it is the Target Number.

2.) When the Total Skill is greater than 10, it counts as one Success. Additional Successes are received at increments of 10; two at 20, three at 30 etc... The remainder becomes the Target Number. For example, a 25 is two Successes and the Target Number is 5. A d10 die with a 5 or less is needed to receive a third Success.

3.) A d10 die roll greater than the Target Number is not a success. Players still receive their previous Successes from that Character or Vehicle (unless rule 5 applies).

4.) Rolling a “1” is always a Success and may be re-rolled by players for a chance at another Success. The Player may continue to roll until a non “1” is rolled. Players choosing to re-roll a “1” must do so immediately, before moving on to calculate the Success or Failure for the next Character Crown.

5.) A “10” is always a Failure and negates all Successes provided by that Character or Vehicle for the Skill Check.

Totally clear! Thanks for your quick anwer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

We are always excited to receive feedback. Your feedback has been useful and actionable. I started editing the diagram last night to improve clarity. When I am done I will post it.

I will make a note to bring up the partial hexes on the map in our next meeting. I will raise your point about adjusting the map or add rules on movement into partial hexes. As you can imagine some changes at this point are easy, others are a little more tricky.

Funky Boy,

Thank you for bring over the skill check ruling from the other post! cool

Keep the comments coming! If anything feels rough I would like to iron them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally I would very much appreciate if the "How to Win" section on page 5 could be elaborated on, specifically a very quick blurb on how you gain Prestige and increase Town Health and the relevant sections of the rulebook these are found in.

My method for approaching rulebooks is to scan over how you gain victory conditions first, and then this puts into perspective the rest of the rule mechanisms (the "Why would I do that again?" question).

Right now the rulebook states you win via prestige or town health. Ok, look in the ToC, no prestige or town health. Index refers me back to the winning conditions on pg 5, or pg 29 that refers you back to 5. As well, Pg 5 How to Win mentions leader reputation and faction prominence, yet none of these terms, or four isolated words are in the index or ToC.

Very closely watching this, and am close to pulling the trigger, just holding out for a gameplay vid to get a good idea for the flow of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B. Schneider,

Thank you, I will take a closer look at the how to win section in the rule book. There are several way to gain/lose Prestige and Town health mostly driven by cards, but some by purchases.

Gain/lose Prestige
-- Obtain resources
-- Succeed missions and encounters
-- Rolling well/poorly on the Town events chart
-- PvP
-- Purchase town Technology
-- Some relics

Gain/lose Town Health
-- Resources increase your town health at the beginning of the turn
-- Succeed missions and other encounters
-- Replacing dead character after a TPK(Total Party Kill)

Here is my current edit

Two Victory Tracks border the map.
Prestige : Leadership and reputation

Town Health : Town’s population

At the end of each phase a player wins the game by achieving either 20 Prestige or 80 Town Health. Break ties using the secondary Victory Condition, where 1 Prestige equals 4 Town Health, followed by resources, and then Salvage Coin.

I am thinking a short line after the descriptions, maybe be what you are looking for. Just off the top of my head....

A few examples of how to increased or decreased these values are through attempting encounters and missions, improving your town, and PvP.

Again thank you for your interest. If you find any other rough edges in the rules feel free to let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This part would be great on the Player Aid. It makes it very clear:

Gain/lose Prestige
-- Obtain resources
-- Succeed missions and encounters
-- PvP
-- Some relics

Gain/lose Town Health
-- Resources increase your town health at the beginning of the turn
-- Succeed missions and other encounters
-- Replacing dead character after a TPK(Total Party Kill)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.