4 Posts

Wilderness War» Forums » Rules

Subject: French Marine Detatchments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
French Marine Detachments are only 1 - 4. Do you still get 1 VP for defeating such a unit in battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
They are considered Regulars, so yes. (thanks for the correction dirubin)

Here are some comments from the designer on that question:
Quote:
2. French Marine detachments - what's with the VP liability?

One (I hoped) subtle way that I tried to get at the fact that drilled French forces in the New World were a more limited and therefore precious asset than British counterparts. (Unlucky British players cursing their lack of WW reinforcement cards are free to differ, naturally.) British Light Infantry included healthy dolops of provincial folk, and Provincial Regiments are just colonials and a dime a dozen for the Crown anyway (or so was thought until 1775 or so).

In terms of gameplay, I wanted to French player to agonize about whether to stand fast with these little Marine detachments or to scamper. In any event, with tourney pros ruling the French as favored, just as well that the French have this liability.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5604951#5604951
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, it's their status as Regulars that exposes them to VP loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for this - I thought that the issue would revolve on the fact that French had a major reinforcement issue. I have just been reading Parkman's Montcalm & Wolfe. Probably superseded by later research but I like his style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.