Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. I love me some Caverna and just got OEL. Just wondering what other games are out there which might be in this vein.

As for my other interests: I already own Food Chain Magnate (love it) and Through the Ages (love it). I'm slowly getting into 18XX and that has been brilliant as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia
La Granja
Both have a sandbox feel to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders is an easy choice to suggest here.

I can think of several other games with a rotating lineup of tiles or buildings or card available, but I believe you are looking for something where they are all out there and available rather than something like Suburbia, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I believe you are looking for something where they are all out there and available rather than something like Suburbia, correct?

Bingo. I like engine building, but I like my engine to be customizable in many different ways with lots of difficult choices throughout. Food Chain Magnate is the best example of this, and thus it is my favorite game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
Team D20 wrote:
I believe you are looking for something where they are all out there and available rather than something like Suburbia, correct?

Bingo. I like engine building, but I like my engine to be customizable in many different ways with lots of difficult choices throughout. Food Chain Magnate is the best example of this, and thus it is my favorite game!
In that case, I will more enthusiastically suggest my first recommendation, Homesteaders. It's very sandboxy in the vein of what you are looking for. Maybe also City of Remnants, but that is a bit more of a stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle too obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

and Roads & Boats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity - certainly, just as soon as it's reprinted.

Fields of Arle - was thinking this might be a bit samey, but definitely on the radar if I see it at a good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Saw the title and came here to post Food Chain Magnate but you've already got it, so i won't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just listening to an older podcast of Secret Cabal and they were talking about My Village as a sandbox. I haven't played it myself, but you might want to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

and Roads & Boats

I came here to mention those two exact games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

and Roads & Boats

I came here to mention those two exact games.

R&B doesn't feel as sandboxy as Antiquity. In R&B you have a certain path that you eventually take to get to minting. Now, with the expansion, it could be considered more sandboxy, more directions to go to win than the 2 in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mombasa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
nbread wrote:
Fields of Arle too obvious?

About as sandboxy as it gets.

Also:
The Gallerist
Islebound

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Nippon is a great sandbox Euro, since it allows you to customize how you score, thus giving you a lot of leeway in how you play the game.

On the lighter side, The Voyages of Marco Polo I think provides a lot of options as to how you play the game. The setup is very different each game, so choosing a strategy that will work with that setup is the key to victory.

-1 to the inevitable Terra Mystica suggestion. I think TM railroads more then gives you a sandbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
in addition to those mentioned, i suggest Small City esp. with expansions.

Antiquity would also be my top pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Stupid question, but what does it mean for a game to be "sandbox?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
Stupid question, but what does it mean for a game to be "sandbox?"

To me sandbox means there is very much freedom in how you're trying to win and how to play. There are no clear (best) paths to victory, there are certain victory conditions (one or multiple) and rules of the setting / universe. The players fill in the rest, potentially the strategies vary very much from play to play, and from group to group.

This is opposed to victory point salad, where the goal is victory points, but no clear best way to collect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something lighter weight, Via Nebula has a sandbox feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Voest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet but read somewhere that Terraforming Mars is sandbox-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I think Nippon is a great sandbox Euro, since it allows you to customize how you score, thus giving you a lot of leeway in how you play the game.

+1 to Nippon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Signiore once and it seriously put me off anything that looks similar (Madeira + Nippon, mainly).

Having said that, I might be willing to try it out if I see it out in the wild. I love deep deep games (18XX, et al), but complexity for the sake of it just isn't my thing (Trajan is my puzzle-y limit, and even that is pushing it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
I tried Signiore once and it seriously put me off anything that looks similar (Madeira + Nippon, mainly).

Having said that, I might be willing to try it out if I see it out in the wild. I love deep deep games (18XX, et al), but complexity for the sake of it just isn't my thing (Trajan is my puzzle-y limit, and even that is pushing it).

Well, is it just because they're from the same publisher?
They are still quite different games. Nippon is definitely lighter than Madeira, it has a sandbox feel but I'd say it's not that deep as you might expect. Once you choose how to proceed and make points, the most important thing in the game is timing. It also plays quick! And the workers displacement mechanic is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.