Popular Tags: ._._._Nice [+] [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting analysis:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/27/its-the-schools-fault-i-had-sex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, that would be like a Catholic priest saying it wasn't his fault for raping a child because the church "knew about it" and hid it.

Apparently the idea that the perpetrator of the crime AND the institution that covered it up could BOTH be wrong is lost on this woman. I suppose we can be thankful she will no longer be teaching children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It's a bold strategy, let's see how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Analysis of what? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like she is still coming to grips with the inappropriateness of her actions. She has probably spent a lot of time rationalizing the relationship in the first place and is now in the process of undoing those rationalizations and lashing out on those that she felt should have stopped her. Without knowing more from the school, it is hard to say what they knew and didn't know. If they really knew she was having a sexual relationship with a student, I'd expect some firings and/or legal repercussions. More likely scenario is that there were some red flags that people refused to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me think of some other issues that I've witnessed or know about.

The first is totally conjuncture...We had an 18 year old substitute in our district a couple years ago, she graduated high school with her A.A. And our district is eligible for and grants emergency substitute licenses due to our lack of qualified applicants in the area and needs. I thought it was weird, and it was totally conceivable that her high school boyfriend was still a student or she could legitimately have had a crush on a boy a year below her and struck up a romance, though it would be against all kind of school rules and possibly the law (not a lawyer, but it feels like there is a law...)

The other actually happened in a nearby community, where someone who graduated the previous s year was working as an assistant coach at a high school and struck up a romance with one of the players.

Under normal statutory rape laws neither situation would have been illegal because of age proximity, but the position of authority makes it problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

No one cares because it is a "hot young woman" having sex with a seventeen year old male.

Women will not protest as it is NOT caused by "rape culture".
Men will not protest as it sort of turns them on.
Most will not care as they believe a male can't be raped by a female.

I say throw her in jail and prosecute her like she was a man committing the same crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:
No one cares because it is a "hot young woman" having sex with a seventeen year old male.

Nope, if the "victim" in question will be masterbating to this in 10 years, then no harm no foul. She loses her job, but I don't think jail will do anything positive.

I also think school districts need to start profiling based on appearance.

Stop hiring cute teachers under 40 for high school positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'I couldn't control myself' defense. Women really are decades behind men in the US if they're just starting to pull that one now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

Nope, if the "victim" in question will be masterbating to this in 10 years, then no harm no foul. She loses her job, but I don't think jail will do anything positive.

I think jail might send a firm message that it is beyond acceptable for a person in a position of authority to take advantage of a student. Considering males who have been abused by older females have had long term adverse affects, such as alcoholism and difficulties cultivating future relationships, should we retroactively punish women when they commit such acts and problems later arise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
I think jail might send a firm message that it is beyond acceptable for a person in a position of authority to take advantage of a student.

Yeah, its been working really well so far.

Kirenx wrote:
Considering males who have been abused by older females have had long term adverse affects, such as alcoholism and difficulties cultivating future relationships, should we retroactively punish women when they commit such acts and problems later arise?

Like I said, if the young man is going to look back fondly on this, then no harm no foul other then she is not allowed to work in this industry.

My double standard of course applies only to boys. Men who take advantage young girls like this, need to be put away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No question. Charge and try. If found guilty jail. Its a crime.

Teachers should never have sex with high school students.

In the case where the student is being graded by the teacher, I include university students as well.

Several female teachers have gone to jail over this now. It is probably or should be part of required teacher training before they can walk in a room with students the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

I think jail might send a firm message that it is beyond acceptable for a person in a position of authority to take advantage of a student. Considering males who have been abused by older females have had long term adverse affects, such as alcoholism and difficulties cultivating future relationships, should we retroactively punish women when they commit such acts and problems later arise?

In this case, the male was 17 and the female was 24. There is, of course, the 'power' difference given a student-teacher relationship, but...

...I don't think most of the typical 'abuse by adult' emotional damage risk is really going to apply, here.

In this case, anyway. She still needs to be fired, it was terrible judgement on her part, but I really don't see how criminal charges and 'registering as a sex offender' are appropriate, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything in the quotes from her that would make me come to the conclusion that she thought it was the school's fault for her behavior. I see her imply that the school was offering implicit approval because they didn't put a stop to it right away. Those are two different things, especially in light of her explicitly saying that she was responsible for her own actions.

I'm sure there's tons more to this than that article provides, but the details it does give shows this as nothing more than sensationalist journalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Like I said, if the young man is going to look back fondly on this, then no harm no foul other then she is not allowed to work in this industry.

My double standard of course applies only to boys. Men who take advantage young girls like this, need to be put away.

But that's the problem isn't it? Not all men do look back on such experiences fondly, and in fact it can have severly negative impacts on their future relationships. So in the case of males taken advantage of by females do we wait until traumas develop and then retroactively punish the female perpetrators? Your double standard simply doesn't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

I know you openly admit it is a double standard but, seriously: why can't the girl like it, look back fondly, and masturbate to it 10 years later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
But that's the problem isn't it?

Not really. It's like a powder keg giving off sparks.

Kirenx wrote:
Not all men do look back on such experiences fondly, and in fact it can have severly negative impacts on their future relationships.

Do you have examples or just theorizing ? Show me the males who had sex with their cute young teacher in a consensual manner and are now not bragging about it.

Kirenx wrote:
So in the case of males taken advantage of by females do we wait until traumas develop and then retroactively punish the female perpetrators? Your double standard simply doesn't make sense.

Nah, like I said, in the reverse situation, throw the book at these guys. Dudes are creeps.

AndrewRogue wrote:
I know you openly admit it is a double standard but, seriously: why can't the girl like it, look back fondly, and masturbate to it 10 years later?

Because it wouldn't be a double standard if I agreed with you. Hell, most women throw up at the thought of most men they have been with, let alone in a situation like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Do you have examples or just theorizing ? Show me the males who had sex with their cute young teacher in a consensual manner and are now not bragging about it.

Because of attitudes like yours it tend to be rarer to hear men come forward, but there are examples out there. There was a collection of accounts from adult men talking anonymously about the traumas that had come from being sexually exploited by female teachers that I unfortunately can't find, but a quick Google search shows the issue is far from cut and dry:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3256238/Boy-reveal...

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3356154-155/new-lawsuit-filed-ove...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/he-was-abused-by-a-f...

http://www.yourtango.com/2014222895/what-its-really-like-to-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adult male trauma female teacher sex

plenty of cites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
She faces up to two years behind bars and having to register as a sex offender for 10 years.

WTF? Why would she get removed from that list? I thought you can't get removed from the sex offender registry as a general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

(snipped - total eclipse of the heart and Hot for Teacher

Point of order -

There's no evidence that Diamond Dave actually got to do the teacher, he just really wants to and is telling his buddies stories.

(edit: Also vampires aren't teachers, that's a different issue tho')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Quote:
She faces up to two years behind bars and having to register as a sex offender for 10 years.

WTF? Why would she get removed from that list? I thought you can't get removed from the sex offender registry as a general rule.

It is usually not permanent. Depending on the state and the tier it can be 5 years or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
but I really don't see how criminal charges and 'registering as a sex offender' are appropriate, here.

If either of my children gets raped, I will give zero fucks about the rapist's gender. The only reason the rapist shouldn't register as a sex offender is if he or she is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
XanderF wrote:
but I really don't see how criminal charges and 'registering as a sex offender' are appropriate, here.

If either of my children gets raped, I will give zero fucks about the rapist's gender. The only reason the rapist shouldn't register as a sex offender is if he or she is dead.

There is no 'rape', here. The 'boy' would be tried as an adult for any crime he could commit, is free to serve in the military or get married (although technically requiring parental consent), etc.

He's an adult in everything but name, that had (situationally inappropriate) consensual sex with another adult that was hardly any older than he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
This makes me think of some other issues that I've witnessed or know about.

The first is totally conjuncture...We had an 18 year old substitute in our district a couple years ago, she graduated high school with her A.A. And our district is eligible for and grants emergency substitute licenses due to our lack of qualified applicants in the area and needs. I thought it was weird, and it was totally conceivable that her high school boyfriend was still a student or she could legitimately have had a crush on a boy a year below her and struck up a romance, though it would be against all kind of school rules and possibly the law (not a lawyer, but it feels like there is a law...)

The other actually happened in a nearby community, where someone who graduated the previous s year was working as an assistant coach at a high school and struck up a romance with one of the players.

Under normal statutory rape laws neither situation would have been illegal because of age proximity, but the position of authority makes it problematic.

Yes case seems very over top to me.

When I was in High School Marching Band the Band director had a "associate director" who was a 25 or 26 year old student interning from the local University. He started openly dating one of the Seniors and did so for the entire school year, and they probably were having sex, nobody said anything about it. I heard they got engaged and married after she graduated.

With a substitute teacher I don't even see a lot in terms of power imbalance going on. She wouldn't have had any real long term power over him in terms of grades etc.

While I agree she SHOULDN'T have been having sex with a student, I am also having trouble seeing a 17 year old and a 24 year old having sex as a crime. A fire-able offense yes... a crime... NO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.