Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Surprise, surprise! BoardGameGeek will host a Hot Games room at Gen Con 2016, and we hope that you'll come visit to see all the gaming goodness from this convention in a single 3,500 sq. ft. room. The BGG Hot Games room is located in Cosmopolitan B, which is on the third floor of the Hyatt Regency in Indianapolis (One South Capitol Avenue, one block from the Indiana Convention Center).

BGG Hot Games will be open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to midnight and on Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You can purchase $2 tickets for specific two-hour blocks or you can use generic tickets for entry, but we can admit at most sixty ticketed people in any hour, so if all sixty event tickets have been sold, then no generic-ticket holders can be admitted. If you want to stay longer than two hours, you can do so as long as you have tickets.

What will be available in the BGG Hot Games room? Well, we're still working on that, which isn't surprising given that we were handed this opportunity on the night of Monday, July 25. In the past sixty hours, however, we've contacted and secured game donations from the following 40+ publishers. Update: And as of August 2, 2016, we have sixty publishers donating games. Here's the current list:

Action Phase Games
Albino Dragon
Alderac Entertainment Group
APE Games
Arcane Wonders
Ares Games
Artana
Asmodee North America
Bézier Games
Blue Orange Games
Brain Games
Breaking Games
Cool Mini Or Not
Cryptozoic Entertainment
Czech Games Edition
Days of Wonder
Don't Panic Games
Drawlab Entertainment
Dust USA
Elzra Corp.
Fantasy Flight Games
Fireside Games
Formal Ferret Games
Fowers Games
Gale Force Nine
Gamelyn Games
Gamewright
Gate Keeper Games
Gigamic
Good Games Publishing
Grail Games
Great Northern Games
Greater Than Games
Greenbrier Games
Grey Fox Games
IDW Games
Indie Boards & Cards
Leder Games
Level 99 Games
Magic Meeple Games
Mayday Games
Mayfair Games
Minion Games
Nevermore Games
North Star Games
Pandasaurus Games
Passport Game Studios
Portal Games
Red Raven Games
Renegade Game Studios
Rock Manor Games
Shoot Again Games
Steve Jackson Games
Stonemaier Games
Stronghold Games
Thames & Kosmos
Two Lanterns Games
Upper Deck Entertainment
USAopoly
Van Ryder Games

We don't have a complete list of games that will be available in the BGG Hot Games room as many publishers have promised donations without specifying titles, but we have confirmed that we'll have copies of Scythe, Cry Havoc, Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, Star Trek: Ascendancy, Tyrants of the Underdark, Captain Sonar, Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails, Codenames: Pictures, Islebound, Imhotep, Isle of Skye, Ice Cool, The Networks, and Vast: The Crystal Cavern.

These titles will be available for use on a first come, first served basis, and of course we ask that you treat the games with respect and care since they will be shipped to Dallas, Texas following Gen Con so that they'll be available in the BGG Library at BGG.CON 2016 in November.

I offer many, many thanks to these publishers, several of whom have offered to send volunteers to the BGG Hot Games room in order to teach their titles to attendees. (Obviously not everyone can do this given how last-minute this event is being organized. That anyone can do it at all amazes me!)

If you don't already have all of your hours filled at Gen Con 2016, drop by the BGG Hot Games room to sample the wares and find something to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Vikings on Board and Ka-Boom will be there too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Erickson
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Covert Spy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have Covert, Lotus, Dicey Goblins, and Clank! available all weekend long in the Hot Games room! We can't wait to see you there!

Sara Erickson
Renegade Game Studios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, most people don't smell the best when they're all crammed into a hot room. 2x if those people are also geeks. Plus all the bits will get sweaty. Is there a competing "well air conditioned room full of games you're familiar with and enjoy" opportunity? Maybe with a string quartet and some nice brie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Murray
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Arcane Academy will be there!

Godfather: A New Don will be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to be emptying out the room every two hours? How can you make sure everyone is ticketed if not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(X-Post from Conventions forum)

My concern, going as a solo, is the two hour blocks of time. I'm going to have to go there, then find a game, find people to play, then complete the game in under two hours (unless I have more generics on me) Seems like a tough task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
New Bedford will be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
RutgersKev wrote:
(X-Post from Conventions forum)

My concern, going as a solo, is the two hour blocks of time. I'm going to have to go there, then find a game, find people to play, then complete the game in under two hours (unless I have more generics on me) Seems like a tough task.

Come to the Vast table! We'll find or make a seat for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Dealings will also be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Council of Blackthorn will be there. I'll stop by in the evenings after the vendor hall closes to help teach it to anyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
NaptownMVP wrote:
Are you going to be emptying out the room every two hours? How can you make sure everyone is ticketed if not?

BGG owner Scott Alden said that one of the volunteers has developed a system. I didn't ask for details. Too many other things to do! I'll just assume that it involves hypodermic needles, a slow-acting poison, and antidotes in the hands of our volunteers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillier937 wrote:
This sort of thing REALLY needs to be clarified.

We definitely need a 27 page FAQ. Because what if someone risks $2 on a ticket and then finds it's not exactly what they wanted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone vacates 3500 sq ft at Gen Con 1 week before the show you don't ask questions you just say "Thanks for the space, we'll fill it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
phillier937 wrote:
NaptownMVP wrote:

I'm excited about this concept but....

This sort of thing REALLY needs to be clarified.

As a comparison 3,500 SF is about 1/3 the usual Board Game Library room.

Okay, for clarification, the room is actually 3,452 sq. ft. Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought my tix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive.
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
phillier937 wrote:
I meant how the ticket thing is going to work....

I imagine it will go something like this: You hand over your ticket when you enter the room, we'll do something that lets us know you should be out in two hours (perhaps by strapping a clock to your head), then after 1.5 hours or so, we'll remind you that your time expires soon, after which you'll ticket up again or finish your game in time to leave.

Again, this is a first-time event for us that has existed as a thing for less than three days. We don't have all the details worked out. Assume that gamers will operate in good faith and we will as well, and everything will be hunky-dory, and we'll all have a good time, okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
Wow, I'm excited!!
I would be too, were I going! Glad you get a BGGCON experience at GenCon now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
I imagine it will go something like this: You hand over your ticket when you enter the room, we'll do something that lets us know you should be out in two hours (perhaps by strapping a clock to your head), then after 1.5 hours or so, we'll remind you that your time expires soon, after which you'll ticket up again or finish your game in time to leave.

How can I decide on my $2 ticket purchase if I don't know what kind of clock you will strap to my head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we need even more details! I want to know table size and height. Chair cushion comfort testing. Luminescence range. Ceiling tile color and age. The exact temperature of these so-called 'Hot Games'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NaptownMVP wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive.
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
mmazala wrote:
Wow, I'm excited!!
I would be too, were I going! Glad you get a BGGCON experience at GenCon now!

Haha Clyde. I'm particularly excited because I didn't have time this year to figure out what tickets I wanted for evening things, and this made my decision easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
There is a system that has been developed to keep the room fairly timed... and we know some games can run longer than planned - we're fairly laid back about all this and want people to have fun.

It won't be like this

*unless you abuse it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
When someone vacates 3500 sq ft at Gen Con 1 week before the show you don't ask questions you just say "Thanks for the space, we'll fill it".

But I WANT to ask questions - like who the heck vacated such a big space on such late notice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.