Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some sets have had their cards reprinted, fixing the errata. I'm just getting into the game and I've already learned the hard way that some stores are selling original versions of LCG decks, when new updated boxes are available elsewhere.

Could anyone in the know tell me what sets I should be careful with? I think the first 3 cycles have been reprinted with card fixes. How about the core? Or any of the deluxe sets? Other asylum packs?

Given that I'm new, and will likely be teaching the game, and most of my friends will probably be using my cards, I'm trying to avoid mis-printed cards as much as possible. Checking a rule book every time a person draws a card will surely kill the game for us.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a list for you, but if you're new to the game you can probably ignore the errata for now. Most of them won't come up in casual play among beginners, many others are just clarification (but don't change anything), fixing typos, or other things that won't really matter right now.

Certainly nothing worth slowing down play and risking a poor impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't believe there was ever any official policy about reprinted cards receiving updated errata. It looks like some did and others did not, so I wouldn't worry about it. In play it's not that big of a deal, and if you want to keep things easy, just set those errataed cards aside at the beginning, slowly introducing them as you gain experience with the game. If that doesn't work and having cards without their errata printed on them is a deal breaker, then Cthuhlu (or any LCG really) probably isn't the game for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, we're gaming veterans: Scores of M:tG sets, most of Netrunner, etc.

The reason I ask the question is that many people are selling the old sets at the same price as the revised sets and not saying a thing. For example, I just bought 4 packs only to discover they had 40 cards each and the old text. Had I known to ask, I could have spent the same money elsewhere and got 60 newer cards instead of 40 older ones.

I just found out that at least one deluxe box is the same way. I feel like I'm just throwing money away if I don't find out which sets to ask questions about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know for sure that Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – Secrets of Arkham got both errata implementation and increased card count (from 2x to 3x) in its second edition. Other than that, I am not aware of any "deluxe" expansions making changes in reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Gardiner
Canada
flag msg tools
Well I can't help with the errata part, since there is absolutely no way I know which ones got reprinted with 'current' errata, etc. Some may not even exist with current errata, depending how late in the games life they were changed. I think you will make yourself insane trying to track all those down properly, since no one selling them is going to know either.

That being said, with regards to the 40 pack versions, I can offer some guidance there. Secrets of Arkham is the only deluxe expansion released in the non 3x version, and has since been reprinted in the 3x version. Anyone selling this expansion will know which one they have, and if they can't answer that question, they are probably trying to pull a fast one on you.

As for the packs, the Dreamlands and Summons of the Deep cycles were both printed originally in 40 card format. No other cycles were, so all the asylum packs after those two are in 60 card format for sure. (Again, no clue on erratas).

Summons has the awkward history of also existing in 60 card format in normal retail form. Anyone can read the back of their package to tell you which it is very easily, since it will say the quantity of cards. This is the cycle you need to be most careful with, especially since the 60 card versions can command quite a premium right now, since they haven't been reprinted again in around 3 years or so.

Dreamlands is a little easier. The Print on Demand version is the only way to get these in 60 card packs. POD versions come in different packages than the normal Cthulhu asylum packs were released in. (They mirror the modern plastic packaging, where old asylum packs were released in the cardboard packages.

Many of the asylum packs have been out of print and out of stock for quite some time now, making them difficult to track down. Depending on the errata timing, many would never have had the opportunity for new text. For example if anything in the Summons cycle has received errata in the past 2 years (and I have no idea the answer to that) it will never have been printed with current errata.

Hope that helps. I really wouldn't worry about the errata, most of it is just cleaning up wording to make use intuitive. Theoretically all of the asylum packs will eventually appear in POD format, but that appears to be a distant dream in a galaxy far, far away. Whoops wrong universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.