Subject: Non player 1st eligible rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As 1st eligible a non player faction gets to choose an Op + Special Ability in the Sequence of Play chart, if instructed not to play the event.
Now, what if the non player faction cannot actually complete a special activity ? In that case, it might seem logical that they would choose an Op Only.
This is not explicitly stated in the rules (at least I haven't seen it), so I assume this is not the designers' intent.
Any thought about house ruling this so the Op Only would be selected ? This could in some situations negate the player the possibility to play the event as 2nd eligible, and spice things up a little bit perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it doesn't specifically *say* "if the Non-Player does a Command and no Special, put the marker on Command Only," but it's sort of implied by the rest of the rules. Indeed, 2.3.4 says:

"Command Only: If the 1st Eligible Faction executed a Command,
the 2nd Eligible Faction may execute a Limited Command (2.3.5).
Command & Special Ability: If the 1st Eligible Faction executed
a Command with a Special Ability, the 2nd Eligible Faction may
execute either a Limited Command or the Event."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
I guess it doesn't specifically *say* "if the Non-Player does a Command and no Special, put the marker on Command Only," but it's sort of implied by the rest of the rules. Indeed, 2.3.4 says:

"Command Only: If the 1st Eligible Faction executed a Command,
the 2nd Eligible Faction may execute a Limited Command (2.3.5).
Command & Special Ability: If the 1st Eligible Faction executed
a Command with a Special Ability, the 2nd Eligible Faction may
execute either a Limited Command or the Event."
That's how I read it too. I also vaguely remember reading a post from Volko saying as much here on BGG, but can't find it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can make an assumption about the intent. So I take it this how you play ?

I only have a few games under my belt (Cuba Libre so far), and I had never really thought about it I must say (likely because the situation never presented itself). I just find it curious that it is not explicitly mentioned, hence my default assumption that the non player faction always choose Command + Special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
Sure you can make an assumption about the intent. So I take it this how you play ?

I only have a few games under my belt (Cuba Libre so far), and I had never really thought about it I must say (likely because the situation never presented itself). I just find it curious that it is not explicitly mentioned, hence my default assumption that the non player faction always choose Command + Special ability.
That isn't explicitly stated either though.

The rules say that after the first eligible player performs their turn the token is placed in the corresponding box.
The non-players will always try to use a SA, but sometimes won't execute one. In that case no rule specifically says where to place the token, but since they performed a command only the token is placed in that box according to the rule Tucker quoted.

Basically what it boils down to is that the choice of command or command+SA isn't prescriptive, but after the action is executed you see what actually happened and the second player gets to perform an action based on that.
Not an important distinction with human players, but definitely important when playing with the bots.

EDIT: Found the thread I was thinking of: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/22818195#22818195
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, there is a rule that explicitly tells you where to place the cylinder:
Rule 2.2 Start wrote:
RECORD STEPS: As the steps of each Event card play
are completed, place short round Eligibility cylinders
corresponding to the Factions involved (1.5) into ap-
propriate boxes of the Sequence of Play track.
During
Winter Rounds (6.0), place the Winter marker in the current phase’s
box.
(emphasis added)

In other words: as 1st Eligible you place the Eligibility cylinder after executing your action, in the Sequence of Play box that describes the action you just executed. If you took a Command+Special Ability, then you place the cylinder in the Com&SA box (allowing the 2nd Eligible to choose between Passing, playing the Event or taking a Limited Command); if you only took a Command, then you place the cylinder in the Command Only box (restricting the 2nd Eligible to Passing or taking a LimCom).

For players, who usually already know whether or nor they're going to use a Special Ability before they begintheir action, it doesn't really matter if they use rule 2.2 correctly. (Which is probably why so many COIN players, inclyding veteran playtesters, seem to be unaware that this rule even exists...)

For Non-players, using rule 2.2 correctly means that the OP's condundrum is automatically resolved: you place their cylinder when you know what actions they took, not before.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it still is an important distinction, because it means you can't simply DECLARE that you're taking Command + Special Ops (if, say, someone you WANT to have access to the event is going second), you have to actually perform the Special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing to the thread Niko, and the clarifications Oerjan. This makes perfect sense.
It is just hard to memorize the entire rulebook and easy to miss little things like the second paragraph in section 2.2!
Even after pointing it out, I had to read it several times as I thought it was about playing events only ("event card play")!
At least, it is reassuring to know that even some seasoned players seem to ignore its existence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metarule #1 of wargame rulebooks: nothing important ever appears before rule section 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
Even after pointing it out, I had to read it several times as I thought it was about playing events only ("event card play")!

Note that section 2.3, the one that describes the various options available to the 1st and 2nd Eligible Factions including Passing or taking Commands with or without Special Abilities, has the title "Event Card"...

/Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.