Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered this morning that FFG is releasing Mansions of Madness 2nd edition! I could not be more thrilled. Totally caught me off guard, as it felt like they abandoned this title a couple of years ago.

I own everything except for 3 print on demand products for the 1st edition, and totally enjoy playing this game. There are a number of scenarios I have yet to play in the 1st edition too.

I think the combination of playing 1st edition with a keeper, and using the app for the 2nd edition for full co-op creates the best of both worlds. I love setting up a scenario as the keeper, inviting friends over, and creating an immersive experience for my guests. To have the option of jumping in with the investigators and letting the app run things is also an inviting possibility as well.

To put things over the top, you can then integrate your 1st edition components into the 2nd edition experience!

Mad props to FFG for showing so much love towards this title. Surely one of my favorite games, and now a totally new way to play that doesn't pressure me to sell my previous content. Doesnt get any better than that. What a wonderful time to be a board gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thrilled until I saw the app was required.

I have nothing against app-optional games, I just don't like app-required games. That's why I still haven't picked up X-Com.

I'm glad I have a full 1E set.

When I saw the 2E announcement I was hoping for a revamp similar to the Descent 1E->2E transition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
I was thrilled until I saw the app was required.

I have nothing against app-optional games, I just don't like app-required games. That's why I still haven't picked up X-Com.

I'm glad I have a full 1E set.

When I saw the 2E announcement I was hoping for a revamp similar to the Descent 1E->2E transition.

I'm on the other side of this. The app as required is what sold me. Not because I have some ill-fated love for apps, per c'est, but because making it mandatory strongly implies they're using it to surpass what could be done with a human. Anything less would be a gimmick, and I'd have passed on.

In particular, the procedural remixing of content blows my mind. I'm cautiously optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO if ever a game needed an app it's this one, setup was long and if you made a mistake the game was a waste of time, but you don't need to worry you have the first edition. I am loving this and the possibilities for really interesting puzzles make this a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveMorgan wrote:
IMO if ever a game needed an app it's this one, setup was long and if you made a mistake the game was a waste of time, but you don't need to worry you have the first edition. I am loving this and the possibilities for really interesting puzzles make this a must have.

Just so. And I was one of the unfortunate GM's who did exactly that one one fateful occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, personally I would buy 2nd Ed. just for the content. The mini's would be used in Eldritch & Elder Sign even if I couldn't figure out how to use them with 1st Ed. (which I'm sure I could). If the app works great then fantastic, it will be used with everything unless someone wants to tackle setup and game play as the keeper. If not, at least I got some cool content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slightly off topic, but now that this has been announced out of the blue, I wonder if that means FFG are also working on an updated Runewars. MoM and Runewars were the two "older" FFG titles I've been most interested in, and both have been out of print for a while.

Similarly, neither game has been on their "awaiting reprint" list recently either.

I can still hope, can't I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars is still in print. You can get the base game through the FFG site and both are available at retailers still (link to US seller).

Mansions of Madness and Call of the Wild were both on the "awaiting reprint" list until the day after the announcement; now they're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
DaveMorgan wrote:

Same here. I have played my copy exactly THREE times. As much as I love the concept I despised spending a ridiculous amount of time fumbling about with the bits needed to set it up then managing the thousands of fiddly cards. Finally, I NEVER PLAYED. I only got to be keeper because only I had the patience for the BS required and owned it.

I am looking forward to actually being able to PLAY this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Runewars is still in print. You can get the base game through the FFG site and both are available at retailers still (link to US seller).

Mansions of Madness and Call of the Wild were both on the "awaiting reprint" list until the day after the announcement; now they're not.

I was perhaps exaggerating slightly when I said it was out of print. I am aware that it is still available, but it's fairly difficult to get a hold of (at least it is here in the UK) without paying exorbitant shipping costs.

Is it just wishful thinking on my part because I want a new edition of Runewars? Then again, I'm on the fence about MoM due to the whole app controversy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
That's what I'm talking about! App driven second edition is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
Then again, I'm on the fence about MoM due to the whole app controversy...

Might be easier if FFG calls them different names! goo

Unfortunately, there's no standard for what a new "version" is in gaming. Some games have minor changes, some games are an accumulation of existing content, and some games are new games with similar themes. As FFG makes later versions of games, the games seem to be more and more divergent from their previous edition: Descent, Runebound, and now Mansions of Madness. (Thankfully, Eldritch Horror wasn't titled Arkham Horror 2nd edition!)

Anyway, for MoM, I think *the* difference is that the app is the Keeper. If you want a "one vs. many" game of MoM, you buy 1st edition. If you want a "pure coop", you buy 2nd edition.

If you're fine with either... wait for the reviews! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Might be easier if FFG calls them different names! :goo:

Mansions of Appness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pincumbe
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
rman wrote:
That's what I'm talking about! App driven second edition is the way to go.

As a big fan of coops and XCOM, I'm really liking the expansion of this app-driven DMless game movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Coberly
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm incredibly pumped for it. I just hope they release a Steam version too. Not that I have anything against iOS or Android, I just feel a more wider release can result in better long term support. If not from them, the mod community. So, YAY! More MoM. This was the first DM style game I've ever played. It was incredibly hard for me to run my first time through, but was a solid experience nonetheless. I own the whole set (and most of all of Descent 2.0) so these Apps are allowing me to not DM and instead play as a player. I'm excited. Also, it allows me to switch back if I feel like it and tell a more controlled story if need be.

I wonder if they'll release a DM module later for players that didn't buy the 1st edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be available on the computer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The Waspman wrote:
Then again, I'm on the fence about MoM due to the whole app controversy...

Unfortunately, there's no standard for what a new "version" is in gaming. Some games have minor changes, some games are an accumulation of existing content, and some games are new games with similar themes. As FFG makes later versions of games, the games seem to be more and more divergent from their previous edition: Descent, Runebound, and now Mansions of Madness. (Thankfully, Eldritch Horror wasn't titled Arkham Horror 2nd edition!)

Anyway, for MoM, I think *the* difference is that the app is the Keeper. If you want a "one vs. many" game of MoM, you buy 1st edition. If you want a "pure coop", you buy 2nd edition.

If you're fine with either... wait for the reviews! goo

Well this is it. I've wanted MoM for a while, but it's availability here is now pretty much nonexistent. My initial reaction to this app news was total revulsion, but I feel this is just a knee jerk reaction. Probably wouldn't buy it right away, but its good to know that it's gonna be available again.

And the main reason I wanted it anyway is to plunder the mini's for Eldritch Horror, so I guess I win either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avid Gamer
United States
Lawson/Dumont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know... does the app only work for 2.0 or can it also be used with the 1st edition? I have a hard time getting a gaming group together sometimes, and an even harder time on games with one antagonist against everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
Atrael wrote:
Does anyone know... does the app only work for 2.0 or can it also be used with the 1st edition? I have a hard time getting a gaming group together sometimes, and an even harder time on games with one antagonist against everyone else.

You can use elements of 1st edition with the app to play 2nd edition scenarios.

You cannot use the app to play 1st edition scenarios.

So, all the materials you have from 1st edition will expand 2nd edition gameplay options, but nothing more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Atrael wrote:

Are you asking if you can use the App if you only have MoM 1st Ed?

To make use of the App, you need to purchase MoM 2nd Ed. Having both 1st and 2nd Ed will expand the game but you can't just use the 1st Ed components to play solo or co-op.

The app will require use of the physical components from 2nd Ed, most of which are not found in 1st Ed. It not just components like the tiles, the very nature of the 1st Ed clue system has been changed, as has combat, the puzzles and such like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Wir Gehen Nach Kansas!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

Mansions of Appness.

Applications of Madness.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avid Gamer
United States
Lawson/Dumont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks @ Chris Lawson and Julia above for answering my questions. I like the idea of the app play for solo/co-op. I think it will greatly increase the amount of times Mansions of Madness is tabled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.