$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Chris L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

A good friend's daughter is turning 11 soon and want to get her a board game. She liked King of Tokyo and Carcassonne, she's a very smart/mature kid (her parents let her watch R-rated horror movies!)

She likes Horror (because she has 14yr sister and teenagers think that makes them cool I guess?) but she also really likes cutesy stuff like my little pony, pink girly stuff too, so either area could work for her and her friends.

I was thinking maybe:
Dixit
Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
Witch of Salem
Ghost Stories

Some kind of Harry Potter-like thing or a cutesy girl game that is not intolerable for others? I like the idea of Arkham Horror being more reading/story than Ghost Stories which is more of a game/fighting mechanic with no story? But I haven't played any of them so have no clue really.

Help! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Betrayal at House on the Hill might be a nice middleground, plus a little lighter than Arkham Horror (she's still 11 after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Book of Madness
Cthulhu Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
If you think she'll like Dixit, Mysterium is similar but has an added (lightweight) ghost element to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Big Book of Madness. Easy.

It's horror-based and it's cute. It's not so simple that it feels like a kid's game, but it's easy enough to grasp.

for REAL horror in a game with a bit of the ultra-violent . . . I don't know, you tell me. The industry seems to think it can only serve families, unfortunately.

Last Friday, maybe? I don't know much about that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Big Book of Madness sounds cool, I think a co-op is probably better than fighting each for Horror. Is it "scary" or "creepy" enough to be considered cool by the teenager kind of group? Are the other games like Arkham/Eldritch/Betrayal/WitchofSalem/etc. too complicated for a kid to bother to pay attention to the rules?

Also, is there any storytelling element to Big Book of Madness or is it just game mechanics for the most part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott HillJennings
United States
Cornelius
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mysterium as an alternative to Dixit with a ghost theme. Betrayal at House on the Hill is likely a better choice than Eldritch or Arkham horror as well as there is a pretty big complexity gap there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Betrayal at House on the Hill, 3-6 players, best 5/6p, 60min, weight: 2.35 age:12+ Top ranked by Dice Tower for Horror games with good spooky theme.

Big Book of Madness 60-90min, 2-5p best 3p, weight: 2.7 age:12+, - It's horror-based and it's cute. It's not so simple that it feels like a kid's game, but it's easy enough to grasp.

For a co-op horror game, am narrowing down to these two... which would you suggest? Is it correct to say that Big Book of Madness is an easier game for an 11yr old to understand and play without adult help after learning it? It actually has a higher weight on BGG (2.7 vs 2.35)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Rod Stewart
badge
"Instead of getting married again, I’m going to find a woman I don’t like and just give her a house."
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought of Cthulhu Realms; not because of gameplay, but because it's cutesy horror. For example, its picture of "The King in Yellow" presents it as a Dr. Seuss book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Takenoko for sure! It has pandas for goodness sakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RDBruski wrote:
Takenoko for sure! It has pandas for goodness sakes!

I approve!
Anything with pandas is a must have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a fairly new game from Haba called Spookies that might fit the bill. Still a 'kids game' with a spooky theme. With the artist being Michael Menzel it's a very good looking game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up
With Smash Up: Pretty Pretty Smash Up
And/or Smash Up: Monster Smash to go with it.

Simple enough for a younger kid and almost any theme you could want can be bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
Smash Up
With Smash Up: Pretty Pretty Smash Up
And/or Smash Up: Monster Smash to go with it.

Simple enough for a younger kid and almost any theme you could want can be bought.

Thought about this.

Smash Up,
with Smash Up: Pretty Pretty Smash Up and Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set mixed in. Horror and girlie cute all wrapped up in the same box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
If you think she'll like Dixit, Mysterium is similar but has an added (lightweight) ghost element to it

This is a solid suggestion because you can play both mysterium and regular Dixit when you buy mysterium. I'm not completely sold on mysterium myself but the price difference to be able to play both games is a no brainer.

Ps I do own both

Also, this might be a stretch but you said you liked the reading/storytelling mechanisms so maybe tales of the Arabian night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Smash Up with Pretty Pretty expansion. Best of both worlds and a game that's been a hit with my own kiddos in that age range. My 11 y.o. has owned Smash Up for a couple of years now, and it's still a favorite.

I can't imagine Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror being something age appropriate that friends (or potentially friends' parents) would be okay with. They're quite long and not really new player friendly imo. My kids have played and enjoyed Elder Sign, but it's not something I would let them pull out when other kids are over without getting approval from the kids' parents.

Dixit or Mysterium would be good options imo.

+1 for Takenoko. It's not too cutesy. I know several boys who love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
The others: 7 Sinsdevil, just kidding
Super dungeon explore and arcadia quest have cute chibi figures and they both have horror themed expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is a great game, very creative, but requires a large group and isn't cutesy or horror.

Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror and Ghost Stories are all really complex/difficult games, lots of little rules. I wouldn't choose it for a 11 year old. Those are really 'serious gamers' games I'd say.

My vote would go to the earlier mentioned Tajemnicze Domostwo. It has that scary vibe, but the rules are simple, components beautiful, it's more flexible than Dixit in terms of player count. And c'mone, the box looks awesome as a gift!

Edit: I see Big Book of Madness is also being mentioned, that also seems like a good option. Harry Potter in a box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks everybody for your helpful responses, I ended up buying Big Book Of Madness for her and she really liked it. It remains to be seen if she would play it without an adult to do the setup and rule-moderating, since those were surprisingly detailed and require some reading and fiddlyness to set up, but overall a great game. We won on the very last turn of the last round by one card, very exciting conclusion!

I also think I'll get her Smash Up Pretty Pretty edition and Dixit or Mysterium for something simple that she can set up herself.

Feel to free to keep discussing what kinds of games you would suggest for kids like these in general, this was a good thread for the research archive..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.