$30.00
Pastor Hank
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Hey all, so I played my first games of CC the other day with a friend of mine, and we both enjoyed ourselves. A fair bit of rules to learn, but that's no problem, but what we couldn't figure out with is how the Germans can win in scenario 1? We played four games, each player switching sides back and forth, and the Germans lost each one.

Are we terrible players or simply terribly unlucky with our card draws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germans can definitely win.
Make as many op fire shots as possible. This will have the time go by faster. Fire at everything that moves. Don't worry if they are low odds shots, they burn cards. This is one of the aspects of the game which takes time to master.

New players often wait to make a shot which can break or eliminate the unit. As a defender that's a BIG MISTAKE.

I'd say this scenario is likely to be 50-50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm constantly losing Fat Lipki as the Russians while playing against the newbies. Probably three times total.shake

Usually it degenerates into shootout with the Germans holding the buildings. If that's the way scenario unfolds, I know I'm in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are the Germans always giving up the initiative card so they can go first and get into the buildings first? I always do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pastor Hank
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
We must be doing something wrong, because the Russians have eight dudes at the same power of the Germans 4, and always seemed able to storm the buildings no prob. We had fun with the game, but something must have been off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastorhank wrote:
We must be doing something wrong, because the Russians have eight dudes at the same power of the Germans 4, and always seemed able to storm the buildings no prob. We had fun with the game, but something must have been off.

They have 8 dudes with crappy range. You can shoot at him 5 hexes away, he needs to be within 3 hexes to use his rifles. They need to cross open ground 2 hexes wide to come next to you.

They move, you activate Ganz in objective 5 and shoot at...

Every... hex... they... move into...

He can try to advance 4 units over 4 hexes, that is at least 10 burnt cards. One for move, one for op fire. 4 shots and 4 defense rolls. Not including events, sinpers, etc... If they don't break (and some of them will), they move next band of hexes and you rinse and repeat.

One move order can burn through half of the deck on this map easily. Once they are broken and they stop you play follow up fire with your stack during your turn. Then instead of creating fire groups fire with squads and LMGs separately! Assuming you can still see 4 dudes, you can make 12 attacks with 2 squads and the LMG. This is at least 24 cards flipped!

And that's how you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOME PASTOR HANK !!

Sounds to me as though you may be using the rookie tactic of playing your fire cards on your own turn instead of holding them to fire at moving Russians on their turn. Once the Russians get adjacent to your buildings in force, and under command, it is time to withdraw or die.

Focus on breaking and killing his leaders. Without a leader the Russian advantage in number of squads is meaningless.

It is also possible that you missed the rule that says units cannot enter enemy hexes except with an Advance order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
the rookie tactic

Any good sources of concise advice to help rookies and intermediate players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pastor Hank
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the help. I think we must have been playing range incorrectly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and/or watched games of Fat Lipki some 20 times, and I've definitely seen German victories, including by complete newbies. So I know it can be done, but it can be difficult. Reflecting on my most recent games, I came to the conclusion that the main problem facing the Germans is the lure of the objective 5 building.

Why do I identify this as a problem? Simply because occupying that building sets the Germans up for a firefight they are unlikely to win. Keeping your units in best cover, as a German player you're only going to be able to muster 8FP from that building. The Russians can face this with 5 Rifle squads, 2 MMG and a Command 2 leader. They just have to work these along the edge of the woods to bring all 5 squads into range of the Germans in their building, and bingo, they've got 14FP. With that arithmetic in mind, I came to realise that there was a very good reason why that objective 5 building turned out to be more often von Karsties' deathtrap than it did the lynchpin of the German position.

With this in mind I started to experiment with strategies that involved refusing that objective 5 building. The decision to refuse that building raised 2 immediate questions:
1) Who to use to interdict the Russian advance on that pesky building?
2) Where to put them?

I can't say I've mastered a new strategy in the few games of Fat Lipki I've played since my strategic reorientation, but I've had more fun trying than I did just lining up to take potshots while I waited for the Russians to bring their men and MMGs into the firing line.

So, if I was to play Fat Lipki as the Germans yet again, I'd probably do something like this in the centre (all depending on VP chit draws, naturally enough). Set up von Karsties with a full platoon of 3 squads and the LMG in and around G10. Nick the objective 1 building if necessary. Otherwise, get von Karsties, 2 squads and the LMG across the I8 road and into the I6/I7 woods ASAP. Leave the 3rd squad to hold objective 3. Take it from there.

Like I said, this isn't a perfected strategy (and I'm no master strategist either!) and there are risks associated with it that are a matter for another post if necessary, but I'd rather do something like this than just sit in objective 5 and hope for the best when are odds are against me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice analysis, John.

Once I tried this German defense and it worked:

Got my troops into both forward buildings and saved up a dig in card or 2. Then as the first deck is about to empty, hop out between the buildings (get shot up by the Russians) and play dig-ins. Thereafter it was possible to build a larger fireteam to shoot the Russians in the edge of the woods. They, however, only fired at the foxholes in the road, and keeping that unit broken, mostly nixed my larger fireteam opportunities. I stumbled on to victory due more to Russian player inexperience than my own play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played five games of scenario one. Germans 3, Soviets 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won and lost as both the Germans and Soviets. It feels like a really well balanced scenario, if simple and straight-forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just have to play against me. I have the worst luck. In my first game, I was the Russians. I think I went 3 or 4 hand cycles without a Move card. My troops were sitting in the corners listening to the political officer tell them what an evil guy Trotsky was. A casual observer passed by and said, "they pushed all the way back to there?" No, that's where they started and haven't moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.