Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've never heard the term, "Up-Goer Five," it started with this: a web comic by xkcd that explained the Saturn V Rocket using only the 1,000 most commonly used English words.

The results are ridiculously over-simplified and may actually be more confusing than a detailed explanation using ordinary words and phrases:

If you want more reading on Up-Goer Five, such as an absurdly simplified rendition of a passage from Shakespeare's Hamlet, "Guess That Movie" games, or other ridiculously simplified passages, Google "Up Goer Five" or check out Theo Sanderson's website and blog.

In this game, you will take on the challenge of stripping away jargon and using only the simplest words and phrases to express complex thoughts and ideas, while still using typical Werewolf strategies and skills to reach your team's win condition.

If any of the following apply to you:

-You love linguistic challenges
-You always have a Thesaurus open in its own tab when you're writing
-You find humor in the ridiculous and the absurd
-You only use simple words anyway

...then this game is for you!

This roleset will be a standard P11, so the structure and mechanics of the game will be very simple and straightforward. There are no hidden surprises, just a standard WW game using very simple words.

MAKING LEGAL POSTS
Once Dawn of D1 is called, all words in all posts that you make should be among the 1,000 most common words. The easiest way to check your posts for legality is by using Splasho's Up-Goer Five Text Editor, found here: splasho.com/upgoer5/. If you need it, you can find a list of all legal words here.

USING CASSY COMMANDS: Since the game will still use Cassy's tallying system, players are permitted to use Cassy commands just as in an ordinary game, such as [vote playername], [tally], [unvote all] even though most of those words and probably all players' names are invalid.

PLAYERS' NAMES AND USERNAMES: During the game, the only times when you are permitted to use anyone's name/username is: IF the name is legal (doesn't generate an Oops message in the Up Goer Five Text Editor), or when you must use a username within a vote. At all other times, you must find legal ways to refer to players.

EDITING POSTS TO FIX USAGE OF UNAPPROVED WORDS: The typical BGG guidelines about editing posts will be in effect; namely, try not to do it. But I'm adding this additional caveat: If you edit a post to replace a word or words that you later realize aren't allowed, please leave the original (illegal) word in the post. You can indicate which word(s) you replaced by either using strikethrough or red text or anything else, but please don't try to hide your slips, since the legal word(s) you choose may lead to different interpretations.

NOTE: My intention is for this to be a fun and challenging game for everyone, not a strict game with heavy moderating. With that in mind, please police yourselves. I don't plan or expect to issue warnings to violators, but if someone seems to be ignoring the chat restrictions, I may give a private warning.

ODDS AND ENDS: Please follow all of the usual guidelines of BGG WW games.

Night posting is allowed.

Standard win conditions apply: Wolves win by attaining parity with Good; Good wins by eliminating all wolves (or if the Hunter is left alive in a 1v1 with the last wolf.)

Dusk will be at 3:30 p.m.(BGG time); dawn will be at 4:30 p.m.(BGG time)

Votes made at 3:30 will be counted, votes made at 3:31 will not be counted.

Please do not post after No Posting has been called.

And now... the Teams and Roles, using only the Ten Hundred Words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOOD TEAM (8/11)
To end the game happy, they need to send away the two Bad Dogs on the Bad Team. They can also end the game happy if they have The Good Good Person left with just 1 Bad Dog.

The Good Person With Really Good Eyes - Each night gets a look at another person and learns what kind of person that person is in the game (Bad Dog/Not Bad Dog). The Good Person With Really Good Eyes gets a look on Night 0 at one person that is not a Bad Dog. After that, The Good Person With Really Good Eyes picks which person to look at. If The Good Person With Really Good Eyes does not give an order, they will get a look at a person who is NOT a Bad Dog, picked by numbers on a computer that is run by The Game Making Person. It will be any one of the people in the game who were taking breaths after Lunch.

The Good Good Person - If only two people in the game are still taking breaths and The Good Good Person is one of those people, then the Good Team finishes happy even if the other person is a Bad Dog. Also, The Good Good Person is able to kill someone else when killed, which is called his Get You Back Kill. The Get You Back Kill is not something he can pick to do or not do; he has to do it. If there is no order in the hidden place where he can talk to The Game Making Person, then the Get You Back Kill will be picked using a number on the computer that is run by The Game Making Person.

The Person Who Dies So That Someone Else Doesn't Die - Each night, may pick one person, and if that person is picked to Die in the Dark, The Person Who Dies So That Someone Else Doesn't Die will die in his place. The Person Who Dies So That Someone Else Doesn't Die may pick the same person again and again. The Person Who Dies So That Someone Else Doesn't Die makes his team happy by dying in place of The Good Person With Really Good Eyes. You need to know that The Person Who Dies So That Someone Else Doesn't Die does not die in place of someone on Lunches or on a Get You Back Kill. If there is no order in the hidden place where people can talk to The Game Making Person ... then there is no order.

5 Just Simple Good People - These people are just simple and good. They don't do anything that simple people can't do. They just want to find Bad Dogs.

BAD TEAM (3/11)
To end the game happy, the Bad Team needs to have as many Bad Dogs as there are people.

2 Bad Dogs - The Bad Dogs know who each other is and will have a hidden place where they can talk to each other and plan Bad things. Each night the Bad Dogs pick one person to kill. There is no kill on Night 0. If there is a Bad Dog taking breaths, the last person who was picked to Die in the Dark will die in the dark - even if the last person to pick someone to Die in the Dark has died since the order was given. (So if Person 1 and 2 are Bad Dogs. Person 1 picks a person to Die in the Dark during the day, but is Lunched. If Person 2 is still taking breaths, the person who Person 1 picked to Die in the Dark will die even though Person 1 got Lunched.) The first Bad Dog to die has a Get You Back Kill, and it is not something he can pick to do or not do. If there is no order in the hidden place where people can talk to The Game Making Person, the Get You Back Kill will be picked by a number on the computer of The Game Making Person from all of the people in the game who are not Bad Dogs.

The Bad Person With Really Good Eyes - Gets a Night 0 look at a Just Simple Good Person who is picked by a number on the computer that is run by The Game Making Person. Each night, they may look at a person to see if they're The Good Person With Really Good Eyes or not. If the Bad Dogs finish the game happy, then The Bad Person With Really Good Eyes finishes happy too. But The Bad Person With Really Good Eyes does not add +1 Bad to The Bad Team, the way a Bad Dog does, when The Game Making Person is using his fingers to add up who is left in the game. The Bad Person With Really Good Eyes starts the game knowing the names of the Bad Dogs.

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
Lunch - The way that people make other people go away. During the day, people can name the name of a person who they want to go away at Lunch, and when the day ends, the person who was named by the most people will go away. That person will be told to stop playing the game, and The Game Making Person will tell everyone what kind of person that person was.

Die in the Dark - Every night, the Bad Dogs choose one person to Die in the Dark. That person will be told to stop playing the game, and The Game Making Person will tell everyone what kind of person that person was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Chief_of_stealth
elias5891
FaleohFang
Felice Si
FGJustice
SerWave
TFang
The_Rorab
Vanderscamp
WolfParade
xandryyte

11 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1612...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't sure whether your post is valid, paste it into the Up Goer Five Text Editor. It's really more of a "Checker." You'll either get confirmation that you used all legal words, or else you'll get a listing of any unapproved words that you'll need to replace.

GOOD

BAD

Lynch chaos may be the most challenging time to make legal posts, so you may want to keep the Editor open in one tab and the list of approved words in another tab. While a Thesaurus may seem like it would be helpful, you may still have to run your new word through the Editor/Checker.

HANDY LINKS
Up Goer Five Text Editor - http://splasho.com/upgoer5/
Up Goer Five Dictionary - http://splasho.com/upgoer5/phpspellcheck/dictionaries/1000.d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Just take a moment for yourself
badge
I have no idea
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds really fun and like it will be nice to read for a person not playing. I won't be playing but I will read along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went back and added the stipulation that you can only use anyone's username if it's legal (includes only Up Goer Five words, which is probably not very likely) or if you are placing a vote. At all other times, you need to come up with an approved way of referring to anyone. Be creative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faleoh
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
There were times when she felt lost, but that did not stop her. For the further she went, the more she collected herself as she walked away. And the more she walked away, the closer she got to it all.
badge
And in the end, she became more than what she expected. She became the journey, and like all journeys, she did not end, she just simply changed directions. -RM Drake
mbmbmbmbmb
the sisters with the long teeth are here first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb
FaleohFang wrote:

We like the black and white one and his fun game idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FaleohFang wrote:

When I saw the first one sign up, I thought "Well, people will probably call her Pointed Teeth, or something like that. "

But now there are two of you who both have Pointed Teeth and I wonder how people will know which teeth go with which person.

I hope no one else who is called by their teeth joins or else people may be very not sure, with all of the teeth and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
FaleohFang wrote:

We like the black and white one and his fun game idea.

Oh you mean the little black and white one over there who keeps making his arms and legs go up and down?

He's a little bit like an up-goer, except he's more of a come-downer. And when he comes all the way down, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Animal friend! I have missed you, and am so happy you will play with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elias5891 wrote:
I too am a black and white one! And also other colors maybe.

I had been avoiding games, but I love the up-goer book thing. This black and white animal that eats some woods enjoys the hard feeling of not using some words. How could I not join?

Oh cool! The black and white animal who eats those woods is going to play! I remember that one game called "What Would The Girl With Long Pointed Teeth Do 3" where you had to start and end every one of your thoughts with the same word, and you did it like one of those very thick books that has every word in the world and says what the word means and then uses it. That made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb
Fugue wrote:
elias5891 wrote:
I too am a black and white one! And also other colors maybe.

I had been avoiding games, but I love the up-goer book thing. This black and white animal that eats some woods enjoys the hard feeling of not using some words. How could I not join?

Oh cool! The black and white animal who eats those woods is going to play! I remember that one game called "What Would The Girl With Long Pointed Teeth Do 3" where you had to start and end every one of your thoughts with the same word, and you did it like one of those very thick books that has every word in the world and says what the word means and then uses it. That made me laugh.

Big Animal Friend was also the first person to notice that the Sweet Food Man died earlier than he actually died in the thing on paper that says what people are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lily Chen
msg tools
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is that person who has a name that means "happy yes" in a way of talking that people do who live in the place that looks like a shoe that you wear in the cold time of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felice Si wrote:
Here is that person who has a name that means "happy yes" in a way of talking that people do who live in the place that looks like a shoe that you wear in the cold time of the year.

You live here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
This game sounds really fun and like it will be nice to read for a person not playing. I won't be playing but I will read along.
yes, this is a really good idea for a game. I will try to read along too but will end up missing. :highSoundMouthBreath:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wyles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sanctimonia Vincet Semper
badge
What's the use in being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of this game. I will do my best to do the good words. The people so far are also very good people, so I am happy to play with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb
People who will play said by the Lady that makes the game go:
Older Sister
Younger Sister
Big Animal Friend
Baby Cat
Happy Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lily Chen
msg tools
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fugue wrote:
Felice Si wrote:

You live here?

No, this place. And no, never been there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is maybe too much work for me. I will decide later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Yost
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE IT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb

Older Sister
Younger Sister
Big Animal Friend
Baby Cat
Happy Yes
Bad Dog Line of Walking People
Car the Young Trouble One
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
different name for game could be "Speak like loud man who wants to make the home land great again"

Also, Sir Wave is too easy for this game. I will be talked about lots (laugh out loud)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are pictures, moving pictures, talking pictures , smiling faces, and the like allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Secret love message!
badge
Percy Weasley
mbmbmbmbmb

Older Sister
Younger Sister
Big Animal Friend
Baby Cat
Happy Yes
Bad Dog Line of Walking People
Car the Young Trouble One
Sir Wave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [39] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.